Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 06:36 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,315,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
Good for your son that he makes enough that he was not hurt badly, but there are many people who are paying for those people who never had health coverage who are barely making ends meet. For instance my brother is a mechanic, one of those people who make a good enough living not to qualify for any help at all but certainly not rich. Under Obamacare his insurance rates doubled and his deductible went up to 10000 a year. Meaning it is useless unless a major health issue occurs. Meanwhile i know a few of those people who received expanded Medicaid under Obamacare who get everything for free.

I appreciate that since i know those people they now have healthcare, but the fact is they never tried or worked hard to gain skills or knowledge to make decent wages where they could afford their own healthcare. They just generally costed their entire lives content with jobs barely paying minimum wage, now they have healthcare they can actually use(because its basically free) while people like my brother pay almost a 1000 a month for his families insurance which he can't even afford to use. No one can explain to me why that is fair, because it isn't.
Beautiful post! This, in a nutshell, sums it up for millions of working Americans. Huge premiums for a plan with a deductible so high that you can never touch it unless you have a catastrophic illness or major surgery.

It's not about not caring for "the little guy", I volunteer and donate to a local pregnancy center and homeless shelter because in spite of the way that we are being gouged by the ironically named "Affordable Care Act" I still understand that there are those who are worse off than I am. I just see this catastrophe (Obamacare) as the perfect example of why a bloated federal government has no business trying to control a private industry and force its failed agenda on everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 06:42 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
Part of the problem now is that this govt., abandoning the Act isn't committed to keeping it going so your continued increased premiums is because of their lack of resolve to fix it and work with insurance companies to better provide service.

The govt. changed regulations so that everyone could have some kind of access. The companies that were making money from those of us that always had insurance --- all of a sudden felt their profits were going to take hit so they reudced the quality of their product and raised their prices.

Why can't the govt, sit with the insurance providers, talk about how they can improve their product and prices.

Because the insurance companies don't care -- they get their cash -- their profits haven't been hurt by all of this.

And this govt. doesn't care.....it isn't about fixing the problem...it's about making sure the Democratic version of whatever exists is trashed.

The swamp is still dirty (and yeah I believe that Democrats are also playing politics instead of fixing but they aren't in control of the house and senate right now so I'm putting this on the Republicans).

https://www.axios.com/profits-are-bo...a755e6679.html
Profits are booming at health insurance companies

And let's be clear -- A Republican President with a Republican controlled House and Senate has not been able to fix anything for you folks - -nothing at all.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:47 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Part of the problem now is that this govt., abandoning the Act isn't committed to keeping it going so your continued increased premiums is because of their lack of resolve to fix it and work with insurance companies to better provide service.

The govt. changed regulations so that everyone could have some kind of access. The companies that were making money from those of us that always had insurance --- all of a sudden felt their profits were going to take hit so they reudced the quality of their product and raised their prices.

Why can't the govt, sit with the insurance providers, talk about how they can improve their product and prices.

Because the insurance companies don't care -- they get their cash -- their profits haven't been hurt by all of this.

And this govt. doesn't care.....it isn't about fixing the problem...it's about making sure the Democratic version of whatever exists is trashed.

The swamp is still dirty (and yeah I believe that Democrats are also playing politics instead of fixing but they aren't in control of the house and senate right now so I'm putting this on the Republicans).

https://www.axios.com/profits-are-bo...a755e6679.html
No govt or particular admin. "cares" which leaves one to wonder why on earth anyone wants govt involved in their health care at all.
Like every state run scheme, it has become heavily politicized and tossed around like a football on game day. There is no fixing it, its the nature of team sports.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:57 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,602,310 times
Health insurance has been a mess since long before the ACA.

Noone in congress will tackle big pharma as they OWN congress. Billy Tauzin is not in jail is all the proof you need.
Hospital networks buying hospitals to close them.
Deliberate restricting of supply of doctors.
GOP working against pricing transparency laws.

The current system is a joke. I admire GOP members here who actually admit what many GOP are thinking. Poor people do not merit significant medical intervention as the cost is greater than their economic inputs. Most will never say it but think it.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:00 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
No govt or particular admin. "cares" which leaves one to wonder why on earth anyone wants govt involved in their health care at all.
Like every state run scheme, it has become heavily politicized and tossed around like a football on game day. There is no fixing it, its the nature of team sports.
Don't you think it is funny thought that the govt. that runs on government not being in things like health care, can't walk away from this very govt. run health care system.

They are so worried about votes, Republican politicians refuse to complete abolish the Act.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:02 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,221,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yup.
Our premiums tripled, our deductible quadrupled, and no one (least of any of the docs we had for 25 years) took it locally, so we had to drive to BFE to stay in network (so we just wound up paying cash bc it was getting out of control).

Between the new taxes, the new premiums, and what we had to pay to clear deductibles and cash, near six figure net $ loss once that crap passed.

We finally gave up and went HSA. At least the premium is only $7000 a year. Even with the additional $7k we can put in the HSA, it is still $10k less than a family plan.
You just saved me a lot of typing. Mine is a similar story and some things you just never forget.

But we were told we were greedy and how wonderful the program would be since we would have such wonderful coverage.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:15 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,281,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Basically correct. Healthcare is so complicated that it will never be fixed to everyone's liking. NEVER.

They can go single payer which solves some problems and creates other ones.
It may be better than what we have now. But it may wind up being worse, after the government does their magic.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:51 AM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
The ACA has been nothing but a huge help for me - instead of paying $780/month for health care as I established my own business, I was able to pay $220/month for the exact same plan. Now that I'm doing better and am off the subsidy, I'm still paying only $550/month through the health insurance Marketplace. My doctor and all the local hospitals were on each of the plans in my area.

For others I know, the ACA and the Marketplace have been a huge help as well, especially for people who have pre-existing conditions. All the qualified health care plans are presented in one place; all prices and benefits are laid out for comparison. Insurance companies never provide that level of information; in the Marketplace, you can see ALL competing plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Health insurance has been a mess since long before the ACA.

Noone in congress will tackle big pharma as they OWN congress. Billy Tauzin is not in jail is all the proof you need.
Hospital networks buying hospitals to close them.
Deliberate restricting of supply of doctors.
GOP working against pricing transparency laws.
It's worse than that - hospitals are crafting their own insurance plans and excluding competing plans. If that isn't an anti-trust violation, I don't know what is.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:57 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
You just saved me a lot of typing. Mine is a similar story and some things you just never forget.

But we were told we were greedy and how wonderful the program would be since we would have such wonderful coverage.
Seriously.

How is an average family of four supposed to afford a $2000 a month premium?

THAT NO ONE TAKES?!

It's messed up that I know people with normal jobs who just pay the penalty.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:05 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,089,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Obamacare was a blatant lie!

Pelosi said “vote then read the bill”!

Obama said “$2500 average saving for a family and you can keep your plan/doctor”!

That were all proven lies!

We got premium increases and Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida told us we had to change plans as our plan was no longer in compliance with Obamacare rules. Wow! We didn’t even qualify for Obamacare but still lost our plan and pay ridiculous premiums, thanks to the worst President and government!

Now Democrats are mongering fear for pre-existing conditions not being covered by Republican plans!

Another blatant lie!

Under Obamacare lots of people who were uninsured never bought insurance and rather paid the cheaper penalty. President Trump relieves them from the penalty as no insurance for something that’s not mandatory like car insurance that you only pay if you have a car, should not result in a penalty.

So what is the Democratic Party true plan aside from spreading and running on more lies?
bentlebee, just give it up, my friend.

Trump and the GOP have given up on the House, republicans are going to lose control to the democrats.

Don't bother wasting your time creating new healthcare threads full of lies trying to scare people, it is futile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies