Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 08:12 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,814,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Big deal ! Yes, a few people did see their rates go up, my own son was one of them. However, to put it into perspective, he makes huge money every year and the amount he is paying is small in comparison. When he complained about it to me, I told him to do the math and realize that he was not being hurt as badly as he thought.

Millions and millions of people who never had health coverage DID get coverage under Obamacare for the first time, so Obamacare did work. There is no question it needed tweaked a little, as do all new programs, but, overall, it did help millions.

The problem with Republicans is that they only think of "me", and do not care about the little guys. We Democrats DO care about disadvantaged people, and are willing to pay a little more so that our fellow man can enjoy some of the benefits we already have.

Besides, complain to Trump. He promised a big, beautiful healthcare plan, if he got in office, where is that plan ?
Obamacare is the favored Republican's plan anyways... you know they'll fall over backwards twice for free market solutions and that was what Obamacare was.

Democrats really favor government run health insurance. No one talks about that and the Trumpublicans can't seem to realize...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 08:13 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,992,527 times
Obamacare is nothing more than a ponzy scheme to collapse our healthcare system and turn it into a socialized crap medical system.

I will always resent John McCain for that vote and so glad he is no longer in politics.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:50 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
Good for your son that he makes enough that he was not hurt badly, but there are many people who are paying for those people who never had health coverage who are barely making ends meet. For instance my brother is a mechanic, one of those people who make a good enough living not to qualify for any help at all but certainly not rich. Under Obamacare his insurance rates doubled and his deductible went up to 10000 a year. Meaning it is useless unless a major health issue occurs. Meanwhile i know a few of those people who received expanded Medicaid under Obamacare who get everything for free.

I appreciate that since i know those people they now have healthcare, but the fact is they never tried or worked hard to gain skills or knowledge to make decent wages where they could afford their own healthcare. They just generally costed their entire lives content with jobs barely paying minimum wage, now they have healthcare they can actually use(because its basically free) while people like my brother pay almost a 1000 a month for his families insurance which he can't even afford to use. No one can explain to me why that is fair, because it isn't.
You don't know why anyone is low income. Some of the people using the subsidy and medicaid are seniors who do not yet qualify for Medicare, people with chronic illnesses, etc. You have to be very low income to qualify for Medicaid. No one chooses to be poor and sick.

Obamacare never got a chance to work as it was intended because many states did not participate. They went crying to the supreme court because they don't care about their residents well being. Interestingly enough, it is just now that some red states which raised holy hell back then are wanting to expand Medicaid. Obamacare is what gave us our pre-existing condition coverage. When it goes, that goes too. Your brother's insurance premiums are not going to magically go down. The system was broken before, ACA was not magic, and we need something better, like Trump promised. OH where oh where is his great plan to cover everyone...?

Old 11-01-2018, 09:31 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,275,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
The problem with Republicans is that they only think of "me", and do not care about the little guys. We Democrats DO care about disadvantaged people, and are willing to pay a little more so that our fellow man can enjoy some of the benefits we already have.

Besides, complain to Trump. He promised a big, beautiful healthcare plan, if he got in office, where is that plan ?
Sure - Democrats "care about the little man"
That's probably why the middle class has deserted them - Democrats care about nothing but their own Political Power and that's why they are TOTAL Obstructionists to anything a Republican President tries to do. We KNOW what happened to Trump's promise of fixing Healthcare - Democrats refused to help FIX what THEY broke and Republicans don't want to risk their own power because they are cowards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
And if you can't afford Obarrycare, they will fine/tax you. What was next? Take our property if we don'/can'tt pay up?
God only knows what the Democrats would do to us next if they regain power - Confiscation of property (like they do with the IRS) is certainly a possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Um...many of us ARE "the little guys" and this failed social experiment is taking a toll on us in a big way. Thanks for caring.

It isn't about "paying a little more", it's about being a hard-working, tax-paying citizen who can hardly afford to seek healthcare when we need it because of this mess. And I guess the Democrats had better start caring about "the little guy" since we are funding all of your failed policies...for now.
We know for sure that if you are a "hard-working, tax-paying [/b]citizen[/b] then you are in their Basket of Deplorables and not in their chosen Baskets of Victims. They deserted you a long time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Part of the problem now is that this govt., abandoning the Act isn't committed to keeping it going so your continued increased premiums is because of their lack of resolve to fix it and work with insurance companies to better provide service.

The govt. changed regulations so that everyone could have some kind of access. The companies that were making money from those of us that always had insurance --- all of a sudden felt their profits were going to take hit so they reudced the quality of their product and raised their prices.

Why can't the govt, sit with the insurance providers, talk about how they can improve their product and prices.

Because the insurance companies don't care -- they get their cash -- their profits haven't been hurt by all of this.

And this govt. doesn't care.....it isn't about fixing the problem...it's about making sure the Democratic version of whatever exists is trashed.

The swamp is still dirty (and yeah I believe that Democrats are also playing politics instead of fixing but they aren't in control of the house and senate right now so I'm putting this on the Republicans).

https://www.axios.com/profits-are-bo...a755e6679.html
Profits are booming at health insurance companies

And let's be clear -- A Republican President with a Republican controlled House and Senate has not been able to fix anything for you folks - -nothing at all.
Yes ..... "Let's be clear" -- the Democrats devised this Insurance plan you hate. They passed it without reading it and they passed it without a SINGLE Republican vote. Then they DOUBLED DOWN on their failure and REFUSED to even come to the table to help FIX what they KNEW they broke.

There is NO "Republican controlled Senate" -- anyone who makes this claim is either a total idiot or a deliberate LIAR. Even my 14 year old granddaughter is aware that the Senate has Cloture rules and it takes 60 Votes to move Legislation. WHEN the GOP gets 60 Senators - as Obama had to pass ObamaCare -- THEN you can say the GOP controls the Senate. You expose yourself when you say "I put this all on Republicans ..... the same Republicans that NEVER voted for ObamaCare that is making Corporate collaborators (right & left) wealthy at the expense of the American Taxpayers.

You want 6 more years of Obstruction and more misery?? ..... Vote Democrat because that is exactly what you will be voting for. The Swamp doesn't want it fixed, the GOP Establishment doesn't want it fixed, the Democrats don't want it fixed .... ONLY the President wants it fixed and the people who voted for him to clean out the Power Brokers. It's why the Leftists Hate him so much -- he wants to fix the problems others are afraid of.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:41 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,275,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yup.
Our premiums tripled, our deductible quadrupled, and no one (least of any of the docs we had for 25 years) took it locally, so we had to drive to BFE to stay in network (so we just wound up paying cash bc it was getting out of control).

Between the new taxes, the new premiums, and what we had to pay to clear deductibles and cash, near six figure net $ loss once that crap passed.

We finally gave up and went HSA. At least the premium is only $7000 a year. Even with the additional $7k we can put in the HSA, it is still $10k less than a family plan.
The Tax Deduction you get to claim for your HSA contribution will probably go a good bit to reduce your premium - if I'm reading you correctly. I really, really recommend HSA plans for the average person who is healthy.

About the HSA ..... you made a good decision. We went with the HSA option through our Employer the 2nd year it was offered. Before we did that - we had complete checkups (hadn't seen a doctor in years, we are pretty disgustingly healthy ) - signed up with the HSA, put in the max every year. The Tax deduction lowered our IRS payment and we were clear winners. Add to that - the HSA interest payments were a lot better than our Savings Account. We didn't use it much and had the advantage of the HSA deductions under 10 years before we were forced on Medicare.

We have probably used about $10,000 out of the HSA account and still have about $30,000.
You will be surprised at how quickly it can build up -- especially if you are healthy and don't really need to use it now. It never goes away and can even be passed on to a beneficiary.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:50 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Obamacare was a blatant lie!

Pelosi said “vote then read the bill”!

Obama said “$2500 average saving for a family and you can keep your plan/doctor”!

That were all proven lies!

We got premium increases and Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida told us we had to change plans as our plan was no longer in compliance with Obamacare rules. Wow! We didn’t even qualify for Obamacare but still lost our plan and pay ridiculous premiums, thanks to the worst President and government!

Now Democrats are mongering fear for pre-existing conditions not being covered by Republican plans!

Another blatant lie!

Under Obamacare lots of people who were uninsured never bought insurance and rather paid the cheaper penalty. President Trump relieves them from the penalty as no insurance for something that’s not mandatory like car insurance that you only pay if you have a car, should not result in a penalty.

So what is the Democratic Party true plan aside from spreading and running on more lies?
Since Trump and the GOP are in support of doing away with insurance covering preexisting conditions, you should be happy.
Quote:
In federal court, the Trump administration has filed a brief siding with the conservative attorneys general, arguing that ObamaCare's individual mandate, the guaranteed issue, and community rating regulations should all be abolished — meaning back to pre-ObamaCare rules where insurers could just straight-up deny you coverage over a pre-existing condition.
https://theweek.com/articles/803889/...tions-coverage

Old 11-01-2018, 09:52 AM

15,534 posts, read 10,510,396 times
Obamacare has caused me to dip into savings, I hate it.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:53 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
The Tax Deduction you get to claim for your HSA contribution will probably go a good bit to reduce your premium - if I'm reading you correctly. I really, really recommend HSA plans for the average person who is healthy.

About the HSA ..... you made a good decision. We went with the HSA option through our Employer the 2nd year it was offered. Before we did that - we had complete checkups (hadn't seen a doctor in years, we are pretty disgustingly healthy ) - signed up with the HSA, put in the max every year. The Tax deduction lowered our IRS payment and we were clear winners. Add to that - the HSA interest payments were a lot better than our Savings Account. We didn't use it much and had the advantage of the HSA deductions under 10 years before we were forced on Medicare.

We have probably used about $10,000 out of the HSA account and still have about $30,000.
You will be surprised at how quickly it can build up -- especially if you are healthy and don't really need to use it now. It never goes away and can even be passed on to a beneficiary.
My wife’s medical bills last year was close to 400k.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:11 AM

4,661 posts, read 1,955,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
You don't know why anyone is low income. Some of the people using the subsidy and medicaid are seniors who do not yet qualify for Medicare, people with chronic illnesses, etc. You have to be very low income to qualify for Medicaid. No one chooses to be poor and sick.

Obamacare never got a chance to work as it was intended because many states did not participate. They went crying to the supreme court because they don't care about their residents well being. Interestingly enough, it is just now that some red states which raised holy hell back then are wanting to expand Medicaid. Obamacare is what gave us our pre-existing condition coverage. When it goes, that goes too. Your brother's insurance premiums are not going to magically go down. The system was broken before, ACA was not magic, and we need something better, like Trump promised. OH where oh where is his great plan to cover everyone...?
If you read my post you will see i was pointing to specific people whom i know, in fact i grew up with them and have known them for 30 years. I have also met many of their friends who are in the same economic boat. And i watched as year after year they worked low end jobs or under the table, in some cases to deliberately qualify for benefits. It was their lives to live as they chose, by their actions they chose to be poor, they lived only for the moment with no thought for the future. But to see people who have made these choices get better care then people who are bankrupting themselves paying for their healthcare is obscene.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:22 AM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Basically correct. Healthcare is so complicated that it will never be fixed to everyone's liking. NEVER.

They can go single payer which solves some problems and creates other ones.
It may be better than what we have now. But it may wind up being worse, after the government does their magic.
Well its certainly over the heads of politicians ( like everything else ) and not something that can be centrally planned. Every one of the guvs interferences results in other problems that necessitate more interference. Then throw the infighting on top of that.
Healthcare needs to return to free market principles.
And for the record, I dont care what is done in Canada, the UK, Sweden, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies