Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 05:02 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
Thank God! After all of these years, I'll finally be able to enjoy Xmas again!
With a cup of coffee from Starbucks, no less.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Really?

Then I'm sure you'll have NO problem posting links to actual attempts to "destroy Thanksgiving".

That is of course if there ever really were any.
Any day now, someone will start the annual War on Thanksgiving thread because many retail stores get a jump on Black Friday.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:08 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,109,336 times
Only someone deranged would think a red paper cup is a war on Christmas.
That is hardly a war, hardly harassment, and if its the most you can find to be upset about
then you are truly Blessed in your life.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:09 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times
Corporate Christmas

Old 11-04-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
It's about more than a SB cup.

To you it's phony religion. To God it's obeying His Word. When you find the perfect solution to the world's woes, get back to me.

Christian charity is the reason this nation is so prosperous. As you sow, so shall you reap.

Yes, there are fake Christians, make believers, selfish, self centered people who wouldn't give a hand to anyone in need. Don't let them make you bitter to the truth that Christians are genuinely caring and loving people and you are dismissing many of them as phony.
I am so confused.

No shortage of Churches at the forefront of every wave of migration into the US.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I'm a liberal who absolutely adores Christmas, and I consider this whole issue to be a tempest in a coffee pot. I like the new cups. I think they look very festive. But, for heaven's sake, a plain, or more accurately, ombre red cup is not a war on Christmas, and anyone who seriously believes it is has absolutely no idea what persecution really looks like.
I am agnostic as they come and I love, love, love Christmas.

This War on Christmas thing is contrived to compel the majority to feel persecuted.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:12 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
In the colonial days.

Christians banned it.

Waves of subsequent immigrants brought their assorted traditions and REFUSED TO ASSIMILATE.

Took more that 250 years before Christmas became a Federal holiday.
You make an excellent point. Puritans did not celebrate Christmas, and I don't think anyone would claim that the Puritans were not Christians. Today, neither Jehovah's Witnesses nor Seventh Day Adventists celebrate Christmas, and there are plenty of independent churches and individual Christians who also eschew the holiday. Being a Christian does not automatically mean that one celebrates Jesus' birth with a tree, lights, ornaments, gifts, and Starbucks holiday cups. And you can thank Queen Victoria for the traditions that many Americans now embrace. This is all very silly. A tempest in a tea pot, as someone called it earlier, meant to divide us into camps. Christmas is a holy day for only some Christians, and many non-Christians celebrate a non-religious "Christmas" in December, too. So in the spirit of the Sabbath, let us Christians extend peace to one and all and bring this argument to an end.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:12 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Any day now, someone will start the annual War on Thanksgiving thread because many retail stores get a jump on Black Friday.
Actually, that trend bothers me a lot more than any of the "red cup/Happy Holidays" stuff. I feel really sorry for the people who are forced to work on Thanksgiving, just so all the good little consumers can get a jump on celebrating Jesus's birthday by running up their credit card bills and getting into fistfights over the latest "must-have" toy for Junior. I wouldn't call it a war on Thanksgiving, but I might be tempted to call it a war on human decency.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:14 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,854 times
Quote:
I roll my eyes at the marketing of Black Friday these days. It's not Black Friday on Thanksgiving, or for the whole month of November, or all the other goofy ways they try to extend the idea of Black Friday. Dilutes it all. I just stay home and shop online if I want ha.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
What ever will Bill O'Reily do this year, when he can't pick a fight with Starbucks over their cup design?
He can pine for the good old days when his employer paid his accusers go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies