Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 07:55 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,626,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I sincerely doubt that his tax returns contain anything inappropriate. If they had, the IRS would surely have descended upon him by now. I encourage Dems to waste away the next two years on this, however. It will make the 2020 election a much easier effort.
Indeed. I feel these actions are a gross misrepresentation of the duties of a representative. They need to focus on REPRESENTING the people of their districts..not conduct a petty witch hunt for personal reasons
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 07:55 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Except there is an existing law on the books empowering them to do so.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/09/05/pol...le.com%2F&rm=1
OK, I stand updated and corrected.

Fun thing about this game the House may be embarking on - the Senate Finance Committee can also request any tax returns they want under the exact same provision in IRS 6103(c-o). Not just the President, but anyone.

What an interesting bit of political gamesmanship upcoming. House Ways & Means and Senate Finance committees going back and forth, flexing power, puffing out chests, etc.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:26 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Addendum to my previous post - anyone else find it disturbing that according to IRS rule 6103, your tax return actually isn't private? It's institutional, legal doxxing. Whoever runs either the House Ways & Means Committee or the Senate Finance committee enjoys a job that exists outside the 4th and 5th Amendment. It's a legal blackmail framework. See, a tax return might be legal and all that, but it could have bad political optics that can derail careers...so do as we say....

That's a frightening thing.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:07 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Addendum to my previous post - anyone else find it disturbing that according to IRS rule 6103, your tax return actually isn't private? It's institutional, legal doxxing. Whoever runs either the House Ways & Means Committee or the Senate Finance committee enjoys a job that exists outside the 4th and 5th Amendment. It's a legal blackmail framework. See, a tax return might be legal and all that, but it could have bad political optics that can derail careers...so do as we say....

Its not even remotely frightening. Its public record. I also dont freak out about people knowing I have a license, or that I own a house.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:10 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Indeed. I feel these actions are a gross misrepresentation of the duties of a representative. They need to focus on REPRESENTING the people of their districts..not conduct a petty witch hunt for personal reasons
Gross misrepresentation? How about Trump's golfing and rallying every day being a misrepresentation of what he's supposed to be doing as president? Really, you guys crack me up.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:11 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:

I don't care if people see my taxes. Really. I don't. If Congress wanted 'em, they could have 'em.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:26 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Not without first going to court. They aren't above the law.

No, it doesn't have to go to court. No, it's not above the law. A 1924 law gives them every right.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:33 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
OK, I stand updated and corrected.

Fun thing about this game the House may be embarking on - the Senate Finance Committee can also request any tax returns they want under the exact same provision in IRS 6103(c-o). Not just the President, but anyone.

What an interesting bit of political gamesmanship upcoming. House Ways & Means and Senate Finance committees going back and forth, flexing power, puffing out chests, etc.
Oh noes! They might release Senator Warrens tax returns! Oh wait..she released her last 10 years.

Hmmm....Maybe Cory Bookers then! Nope...he released his last 15.

Oh I know! Pelosi! There we go. found someone who hasnt, just took a couple tries. And...no one cares. Go for it. Meanwhile lets release....

Ted Cruz! Nope, he released 5 years

Nunes then! Lets do it!

In fact, maybe we could just ask for the last 5 years of all seated house and Senate members. I think that would be great!

Old 11-08-2018, 01:47 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Good luck with that. They have no right to inspect a private citizen's tax returns. But I hope they try - should play well next campaign season when they try to explain why they went for this as their first task after winning election, instead of doing something to actually help the American people.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:56 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Except there is an existing law on the books empowering them to do so.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/09/05/pol...le.com%2F&rm=1
According to the article: "The committee Chairs could share the returns with their committee members in closed session." Fine. But if they discuss anything talked about in closed session, they should be removed from the Chair position.

Also: "If the committee thinks releasing the returns to the House or Senate would further a legitimate committee purpose, they're permitted to do so, according to George Yin, a former chief of staff at the Joint Committee on Taxation and a professor of law at the University of Virginia." I'd love for them to show what legitimate purpose releasing them could possibly be. And no, having their feelings hurt about the 2016 elections doesn't count as a legit purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies