Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 06:23 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
I didn't see what you posted but just because someone was denied admission doesn't make your statement a "fact". There could be several things going on, and just because someone does something doesn't make it legal. I speed all the time, if caught and the police pushes it, I pay a fine. If I'm not caught, or no police officer pushes it, I pay no fine.
There have been several high profile cases of colleges rescinding admission offers. The most famous is probably the Harvard case. You best believe that of any community, parents of Harvard bound students would have sued if the action taken by Harvard was illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
So how about this? If the boys tell you they stand for white supremacy or they wish that Hitler had succeeded or whatever, then absolutely, they need to suffer from the consequences of their action. their beliefs, will probably eventually manifest in behavior. But if they just did something grossly stupid and they learned their lesson. How about just let them be, remove the photo from social media page, and give them a chance to be successful in the future?
That is not for me to say.

I'll repeat, for at least the sixth time:

If a college or employer decides to rescind offers of employment or admission, that is up to those entities. I would not be sorry for these kids because it is a natural consequence of a stupid, insensitive action.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
No, I fervently disagree. Being a white supremacist or hitler lover is not a crime. There should be no far sweeping consequences. Obviously, if they tell you they're a white supremacist and you don't want to be their friend because of it - so be it. But they should still be able to function in day to day society. They should still be able to find employment, go to university, etc.

It's morally wrong to punish people with the expectation "their thoughts will eventually lead to actions". First, no one knows if they will. Second, you can't punish them until the action is taken.
I don't believe it should be a crime. But if these kids have the right to say what they want and do what they want, then others have the right not to be associated with them.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
But it's not "natural consequences," deary. It would be a calculated decision based on political beliefs of those who wield power over those boys. Such people would have the opportunity to look at the action rationally, or choose to embrace hysteria, as we see on social media.
Yes, deary, it is a natural consequence.

I, myself, would not want to be associated with these people and if I found out a person I knew was into this thing, I'd tell them never to darken my doorstep again. That is my right. Just as it is their right to believe what they want.

If I were an employer, I would be embarrassed to have one of these people representing my company. As an employer, I have the right to choose who represents my brand. Just as others have the right to believe what they want.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I think Americans should be able to do any salute they want and it's no one's business and nothing to panic over. Anyway, why does when explaining why the Nazi party is nothing to admire it's always about what happened to the Jews? They weren't the only ones sent to concentration camps. What about everyone else even the German people who suffered due to Hitler's policies? Hitler and the Nazis were no friends of whites Jewish or not.

Other groups the Nazis exterminated were homosexuals, people with disabilities, leftist political enemies, Jehovah's Witnesses, Roman Catholics, those of the Bahai faith, etc.

The reason it's "always about what happened to the Jews" is that the group that suffered the most amount of losses. Also, the Final Solution was a solution to the Jewish Question. Other groups were definitely swept up by it, but the Jews were the first and biggest target. Also, please remember that Hitler and his party blamed the Jews for economic issues, crime, etc.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:37 AM

34,240 posts, read 18,599,254 times
I will agree that today with Social Media, a harmless kid's prank can turn into a big social, and political controversy. It is utterly ridiculous, and how people are always OFFENDED by everything today is ridiculous.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Same point applies. Everyone has heard about civil rights too and it only tells one part and one side of the story. Whites were all the bad guys and blacks were all the good guys. But that's not the whole and true story.
Interesting.

What is the whole and true story of the Civil Rights Movement and the Holocaust?

Old 11-17-2018, 06:38 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
This high school/community has had issues before. In this article the young man who didn't 'wave' does suggest that the boys knew exactly what they were doing.

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/p...5fe7be2e8.html

A week before the Nov. 6 midterm election, a flyer with the header “WHITE LIVES MATTER,” was illegally distributed in mailboxes in Baraboo, Reedsburg and Spring Green. Fliers also were placed on vehicles in Wisconsin Dells.

The single-page flyer listed links to several websites promoting nationalist and anti-Semitic views. The Baraboo postmaster said at the time the office was aware of the flyers and carriers were removing them.

As for permanent consequences, I suspect that the boys will not be expelled, etc. Not sure it will even go on their record.

I don't think that colleges will try to match up college applicants with this picture to punish the incoming kids.

The boys will be fine.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I will agree that today with Social Media, a harmless kid's prank can turn into a big social, and political controversy. It is utterly ridiculous, and how people are always OFFENDED by everything today is ridiculous.
Because some of us don't think it's harmless.

Methinks if this was a group of Middle Eastern youth throwing out the tawid gesture, you and others would have a much different reaction.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:51 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
Times have changed -- if you are a parent of middle school or high school kids you have to tell them, their choices could have way more serious consequences for them.

They just do.

Not just because of the internet. Before the internet, there was a change. Kids in high school caught drinking etc., faced not only permanent notation on their school records but also criminal charges.

You just never know.

Also -- as parents -- if kids are drinking in your home -- even if you might not know about it - -you might be held responsible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies