Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 10:21 AM

10,073 posts, read 14,453,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Sad and unfortunate to see so many people lose their jobs. But the writing has been on the wall for a while and can't say I'm very surprised.

No matter who the president is in the White House, they will be blamed. Trump will be specifically though due to his MAGA stance, and platform of definitely going all out with "keeping jobs in US".

But Trump can't control GM making a marginal product, discontinuing certain lines of vehicles, and people not wanting to buy GM products (don't blame 'em--Honda/Toyota for me LOL).

It's unfortunate to see, but expansion and closure of underperforming areas are definitely a typical product of business.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:23 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,500,240 times
The jobs being cut... they better be the 2019 silverado body design team and whoever thought stuffing a turbo 4 pot in a half ton was a good idea...

Old 11-26-2018, 10:23 AM

23,564 posts, read 17,237,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
That's what happens when greenies get their way. GM is focusing on electric cars which are still considered a novelty market, though it is expanding.

GM was making plans to close while Obama was in office and was a reaction to obamanomics and theoretical goals based on theoretical strategy.

corporations do make knee jerk responses, they had been planning to close factories beginning in the 8 years of Obama.

The Economy
General Motors to Close Australian Plants by 2017

CEO Dan Akerson said the decision reflected a "perfect storm of negative influences the automotive industry faces in the country. This includes the sustained strength of the Australian dollar, high cost of production, small domestic market and arguably the most competitive and fragmented auto market in the world."

I'm sure the trump haters will find a way to spin this as a negative for Trump.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:24 AM

5,111 posts, read 2,053,602 times
I saw some interesting infos on a post about the Layoffs the forum GMInsidenews. https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/...osings-290809/

Quote:
The plants that will cease production next year are Detroit-Hamtramck, Warren Transmission, Lordstown Assembly in Ohio, Oshawa Assembly in Ontario, Canada and Baltimore Operations in Maryland. Work will stop, but plants will not officially close. The future of those facilities will be determined during 2019 negotiations with the United Auto Workers.
We got to check if the UAW will give some concessions? As for Detroit-Hamtramck, to think they'll probably demolish that plant after almost 40 years they destroyed a part of Poletown for that plant.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:24 AM

I can not express how fugly the 2019s are.
Going the way of Cadillac. Take a good looking vehicle. Then butcher it.

New Silverados look like a tundra got drunk and took an F150 home... and 9 months later... the 2019s come out. Fugly.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:30 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,662,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
GM use to employ nearly 90,000 people in Flint, it is now under 9,000.

This twin process of automation and outsourcing coupled with increased foreign competition has been reducing auto jobs for about 4 or 5 decades now.

Yes, Trump made promises he should have known he couldn't keep to get votes. However, if we want to point political fingers at people we could also point out that Obama foolishly didn't make GM undergo significant restructuring during their special bankruptcy and the (democratic) auto workers union has put severe inefficiencies on GM that Toyota doesn't experience.
I know Obama was coming. He can share the blame on the economy, but can't be given any credit for it either.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:32 AM

Old 11-26-2018, 10:33 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
You may be right, however, the current situation (thus far) could only be based on the anticipated future impact, not on ongoing changes already caused by tariffs. I'm likewise, not sure the government is trying to control the U.S. markets ... or the behavior of our international trading partners, who have been giving the U.S. the 'short end of the stick' for years.

Whether ongoing changes make things worse or not remains to be seen. I believe NAFTA changes with Canada and Mexico will benefit the U.S. - and I believe Trump believes Tariff's will change the behavior of China and others.

For the first time in several administrations, we are seeing companies moving offshore operations back to the U.S., major tax incentives for small businesses and significant job growth. I say, let's give things a chance, rather than automatically siding with the nay-sayers.
The government imposing massive tariffs on imports is government control of the markets. It never ends well, as we are seeing right now.

NAFTA doesn't get better by changing the name and tweaking minor details. It is still the same 'free trade' deal.

Job growth is down, well below the average of past years, so that's not much to celebrate. I can't speak for all small businesses, but I closed my own down because the tax bill was a kick in the teeth. It ended up costing be thousands more in new taxes.

I am glad you are optimistic about long term, but it seems the government meddling is hurting us, and I think it will only get worse. The tariffs were supposed to reduce trade deficits, but the deficits went UP, not down, because other countries are importing even less from US now.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:34 AM

57,311 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
how so?

what kind of guarantees did hilldawg offer against GM factories closing?
Clinton didn't make promises she couldn't keep, she was honest with the coal miners and those in the rust belt. Trump ran on bringing back manufacturing jobs, he lied.

Where are we getting all those new factories from the corporate investments from the tax breaks.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:34 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,662,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
That's what happens when greenies get their way. GM is focusing on electric cars which are still considered a novelty market, though it is expanding.

GM was making plans to close while Obama was in office and was a reaction to obamanomics and theoretical goals based on theoretical strategy.

corporations do make knee jerk responses, they had been planning to close factories beginning in the 8 years of Obama.

The Economy
General Motors to Close Australian Plants by 2017

CEO Dan Akerson said the decision reflected a "perfect storm of negative influences the automotive industry faces in the country. This includes the sustained strength of the Australian dollar, high cost of production, small domestic market and arguably the most competitive and fragmented auto market in the world."

I'm sure the trump haters will find a way to spin this as a negative for Trump.
And what if this had happen under Obama, what would you be saying about him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies