Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 03:24 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
But this is so obvious...isn't it?

Education, being sober, not abusing your wife and family, hard work, being thrifty and more....had benefitted many groups. There are nuances involved - for example, Mormons are often quite well off due to some similar traits, BUT, they were "given a state" with resources that are in the Trillions of dollars. That's a lot different than our grandparents who got off the ship with $16.

I'm not being disagreeable here - just noting that the family values of a LOT of people create a success. It's also proven social science that the opposite is true, our jails being filled with folks that were abused as kids, uneducated, etc.

There have been many discussions here about IQ - the bottom line is that most IQ is the RESULT of the thousands of years of education, not what created it. The Japanese have much higher IQs than Jews or Americans (in general) and they raised theirs more than 10 points just by government (social) action....in a 20 year period.

As far as "political" (this forum), I guess we have to once again note that most of Jewish extraction are liberals and Democrats, just as the same goes with most who just landed that thing on Mars (JPL of California, California Schools, etc.)....and just as the same goes with most of Silicon Valley (who are either Jewish and/or Liberal and/or Democrat and have high IQs and big earning power)...

The only "equivalency" I see politically with the other types is when they are resource extractors or developers, etc. - and even that doesn't create near the economic activity of the former.

(Had to relate it to politics due to the forum...if in the religion forum I would have stopped before that).
If you can tolerate a correction....

It's the Singaporean Chinese (not Japanese) who have higher IQs than Jews, generally speaking, although the difference is slight - something like 114 vs 112.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:25 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,497,864 times
I am a white, half German, half Croatian female - raised as a Lutheran. Grandparents immigrated from Europe in late 1800's/early 1900's (zero Jewish DNA). My father (German descent) always emphasized books and education, even though he never became a 'professional.' Two of us kids graduated college, none of us are geniuses, although we're smarter than 80% of the population, of that I'm convinced. One thing our family has lacked is superior "drive" - we are not always striving.

On the other hand, Jews - those I've known - are inherently strivers. They never stop.

I've known many Jews, dated one for many years. After 76 years of life, I long ago concluded Jews are blessed with special DNA - giving them, in many cases, superior intelligence, drive, energy, determination and persistence. This is why, as I said on another thread, Jews rise to the top in society - business/professional - out of all proportion to their numbers - despite, at times, monumental adversity. Their DNA doesn't allow otherwise. God's chosen people, imho.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:32 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
So is the Jewish American population harder working? Better networks and support groups? More emphasis on education?
Yes, but more importantly Ashkenazi Jews are actually smarter than others on average. That's the main reason they are able work well, develop networks and excel in school.
Quote:
Culturally, is there something that other demographic can learn from when it comes to the propsperity of Jewish American, despite the antisemitism they have faced past and present.
Jews have always been very ethnocentric, and other groups do seem to be emulating this trait in an attempt to gain advantage. On the other hand, while we can become more knowledgeable and perhaps wiser, we can't really learn to be more intelligent (like the Jews). And since the world economy is moving more and more toward a situation where brain power is rewarded and the lack of it penalized, I don't see the general population acquiring Jewish levels of wealth and influence any time soon.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:36 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,683,943 times
Ashkenazi Jews have higher than average IQs coupled with cultural values that put emphasis on saving and education. These are recipes for success. Now this doesn't mean that there are impoverished Jews and that there are some that indulge in deliquent behavior.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:38 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I am a white, half German, half Croatian female - raised as a Lutheran. Grandparents immigrated from Europe in late 1800's/early 1900's (zero Jewish DNA). My father (German descent) always emphasized books and education, even though he never became a 'professional.' Two of us kids graduated college, none of us are geniuses, although we're smarter than 80% of the population, of that I'm convinced. One thing our family has lacked is superior "drive" - we are not always striving.

On the other hand, Jews - those I've known - are inherently strivers. They never stop.

I've known many Jews, dated one for many years. After 76 years of life, I long ago concluded Jews are blessed with special DNA - giving them, in many cases, superior intelligence, drive, energy, determination and persistence. This is why, as I said on another thread, Jews rise to the top in society - business/professional - out of all proportion to their numbers - despite, at times, monumental adversity. Their DNA doesn't allow otherwise. God's chosen people, imho.
Thank you for your comment. I appreciate your recognition of the positives of the Jewish people.

One thing I would say is that Jews themselves do not like to be called G-d's chosen people because it has been thrown in our faces as a sign we are arrogant. I know you don't intend it this way, as you clearly have admiration for our culture and drive, but for anyone else reading, I would like to explain what Chosen People means (at least as it was explained to me): We were chosen to follow law - the 613 commandments. We do not think we are intrinsically better than others or favored by G-d over any and all good-deed-doing people.

Again, thank you for your nice post.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:52 PM

24,646 posts, read 9,472,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
A scholar who uses Wikipedia as a reference source.
Interesting.
Wikipedia sources its information in the bottom of the page. I'm not writing a PhD thesis here, I'm simply reading information that has compiled its sources into 1 topic.

Did I violate the rigorous "APA standard city data internet politics" section?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Instead of saying they are disproportionately rich, the majority(Whites, blacks, hispanics) are disproportionately poor.
I can't argue with that. However, I was just interested in the number of billionaires within the community. Any list of billionaires will have a lot of folks from finance, wall street, Ivy Leagues, and I happened to notice a lot of them had similar backgrounds.

As pointed, it has alot to do with the value of education, hard work, and determination. Many demographics including my own could learn a lot from the prosperity of other demographics that have faced discrimination.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:01 PM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times
They have a culture which encourages success and they prop each other up instead of tearing each other down to get ahead.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:14 PM

1,261 posts, read 568,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Kiras Joel, with a population of 24,000, is considered the poorest town in the US. It's all about cultural choices.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:22 PM

17,594 posts, read 13,372,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
You clearly haven’t read what I said. I know you don’t get rich but they save thousands and thousands of dollars from their own pocket + not having to pay. Many of them have tons of kids as well.
Somehow, I don't believe this part of your profile: Christianity = Love • Peace • Forgiveness ❤️

Old 11-27-2018, 04:27 PM

1,261 posts, read 568,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Somehow, I don't believe this part of your profile: Christianity = Love • Peace • Forgiveness ❤️
And what does my great faiths message have to do with Jews committing welfare and insurance frauds me telling the true facts?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies