Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 07:55 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,650,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
It is also the height of selfishness to think of only yourself for those few months that bring joy and happiness to 1000s of others.
Those thousands of people can go find joy at public displays without bothering homeowners and disrupting their lives. I love Christmas. That doesn't mean I want to hear music being played for hours every day or be unable to find a parking space.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:57 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,028,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Those thousands of people can go find joy at public displays without bothering homeowners and disrupting their lives. I love Christmas. That doesn't mean I want to hear music being played for hours every day or be unable to find a parking space.
Have to agree to disagree.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:00 PM

1,261 posts, read 569,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Then move to a rural area or an area far away from other homes if you want your privacy. It’s only for couple of weeks and I’m sure the music isn’t that loud and people’s windows are shut down this time of the year as it’s cold outside. He pays property taxes and have every right to display whatever he would like! What if a home has big parties everyday for a month? You’re going to force them stop hosting parties?!

Old 11-29-2018, 08:03 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,098,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
It is also the height of selfishness to think of only yourself for those few months that bring joy and happiness to 1000s of others.
Easy to say when it's not you who can't get out of your driveway at night because of the wall to wall cars. And if there was an emergency, what then? No joy or happiness if an ambulance can't get to your house because your next door neighbor needs his big, obscene display.

The town is asking him to pay for the security that his display is requiring. Why is that unfair? Why should everyone else foot the bill for his display?

Old 11-29-2018, 08:04 PM

4,038 posts, read 2,727,980 times
OK, so I watched the video, and I have to say, if I lived near this guy, I would probably be going nuts right now. Quite a bit of it is pretty and nice (I do like the archway he put over the driveway, I think that's cool), but the strobing lights that flash on and off would drive me up the wall. I enjoy Christmas displays, but this is Over The Top.

And in all honesty, if I were trying to go about my business of going to work, coming home, going to the store, whatever, and was forever contending with heavy traffic because of the gawkers for 20 days straight....I'd be pretty hacked myself. Heck, I just recently had to tell one of my neighbors that I don't care if she parks in front of my house (as I don't own the street), but on trash day, to please show some awareness and pull away from my driveway a little so I can put my trashcans in the designated pick-up spot. And that's a once-a-week thing.

I would think possibly the homeowner should possibly show some courtesy--if his lights are a 'thing', then perhaps he can put showings on a schedule that won't impact his neighbors as much.

He may enjoy it, but his neighbors have to live there as well.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Easy to say when it's not you who can't get out of your driveway at night because of the wall to wall cars. And if there was an emergency, what then? No joy or happiness if an ambulance can't get to your house because your next door neighbor needs his big, obscene display.

The town is asking him to pay for the security that his display is requiring. Why is that unfair? Why should everyone else foot the bill for his display?
Stop exaggerating. Everybody knows that you cannot block people’s driveways. What if an ambulance gets stuck in traffic during rush hour or on a road where there is car accident? What if what if.

Cops aren’t doing anything anyway in that quiet town so what’s the big deal... he pays already thousands of property taxes are they are sky high in NJ!

Old 11-29-2018, 08:06 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,634,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
Then move to a rural area or an area far away from other homes if you want your privacy. It’s only for couple of weeks and I’m sure the music isn’t that loud and people’s windows are shut down this time of the year as it’s cold outside. He pays property taxes and have every right to display whatever he would like! What if a home has big parties everyday for a month? You’re going to force them stop hosting parties?!
Great solution, move out to a rural area.

Respect thy neighbor. This is a traffic nightmare for the rest of the neighborhood. The light show is awesome but he is being selfish.

If somebody was having parties non stop for 20 days straight I would be calling the authorities especially if it was at night.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:07 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,650,256 times
Quote:
LOL, if you were between two neighbors with giant menorahs on their lawn playing the dreidel song every night with 13,000 people traipsing across your lawn over a 3 week period you'd be screaming bloody murder.

And no, I'm a homeowner paying more than $13K a year in property taxes. I'm entitled to peace and as a good neighbor, I would never impose this on my neighbors.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:08 PM

20,886 posts, read 9,585,394 times
Quote:
Irrelevant. The Bible doesn’t forbid us from celebrating Christmas and Christ’ birth either.
The Bible also doesn't forbid us from creating a holiday where we walk around naked in imitation of Adam and Eve's pre-Fall innocence.

And the Bible also doesn't forbid us from creating a holiday where we fast for 40 days and 40 nights like Jesus did.

The Bible doesn't also forbid us from placing our newborn babies in baskets and sending them down the river like Jochebed did to the infant Moses, in the hope that somebody will pick the kid up and adopt it.

The Bible doesn't forbid a whole lot of things. That doesn't mean we should do it. Once you start adding things to Christianity that aren't in the Bible, it becomes less and less Biblical.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:08 PM

Next time don’t live near a Jewish neighbor...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.