Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 09:06 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
So you're privy to the inner goings on of the Mueller investigation? Nice gig, if you can get it. Thanks for your opinion.

Seem there is no shortage of posters to this forum who are mind readers and project knowing what’s going on inside the investigation. They tend to confuse opinion with fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 09:10 AM

25,447 posts, read 9,813,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
At their own ridiculousness, they simply ignore that itty bitty factoid.
Doesn't matter. They're indicted or going to jail. So this is not about nothing. Any criminal goes to jail over the decisions they make.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:11 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,169,235 times
Now that Trump has been attacking Mueller on Twitter more than ever, it's time to recall this golden nugget:

"When you're attacking FBI agents because you're under criminal investigation, you're losing" - Sarah Sanders
November 3, 2016.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:13 AM

25,447 posts, read 9,813,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
For "procedural crimes" that can be tacked on absolutely anyone. The Feds can throw anyone in jail.

The whole thing is still a Nothingburger until I see a report that shows the Trump campaign working behind the scenes with Russians to do something illegal.

But it's totally Unconstitutional to search and seize without having a search warrant for a specific crime. To date, I haven't heard anyone mention what the specific crime is.

By the way, I do think that there were foreign agents influencing the Trump campaign and/or transition team in terms of foreign policy, but that is true of every presidential candidate.
Again, from the Rosenstein memo:

“any links and/or coordination between the Russian government and individuals associated with the campaign of President Donald Trump,” as well as “any matters that arose or may arise directly from the investigation.”

So see, it appears the DOJ and Mueller know a little bit more than you do about how this investigation should be conducted.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:14 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times
No investigation is simply about the act of the crime. Motive is researched.

Means, Motive and Opportunity ...

Any other crime uncovered incidentally during the course of the investigation must also addressed. Law enforcement does not have the right to overlook a crime it uncovers during an investigation, however related or not, that is the purview of the courts.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:18 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
There are a lot of things we should remember...

"In August, Nixon gave a speech in which he swore that his White House staff was not involved in the break-in. Most voters believed him, and in November 1972 the president was reelected in a landslide victory."

https://www.history.com/topics/1970s/watergate

Old 12-01-2018, 09:24 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
Anyone remember that? "Illegal contacts during the transition period." It was the rage on MSNBC. Then they stopped talking about illegal contacts when they found out that there is no such crime as illegal contacts and incoming presidents are in fact expected to talk to foreign leaders and diplomats. Since then it's been "collusion" which is also not a crime (unless you say "collude to X" and X is a crime). In fact, top attorneys like Alan Dershowitz have said that it would be perfectly legal if Donald Trump called Putin and told him to release Hillary's emails (which obviously never happened).

The investigation is a wild goose chase.
oh you must be privvy to all the details of the investigation.

That's exciting.

I only know what is discussed out in public and I am not sure that is all of the details of the investigation.

I will reserve my judgement.

Oh and if in the process of investigating the full extent of Russia's meddling, there are other crimes uncovered, I think Mueller and his team are obliged by their judicial standards to see charges for those crimes. I think it would be immoral and illegal and unethical for them to ignore those crimes just because they didn't fall within the scope of the original investigation.

We tend to be very impatient and want immediate answers, results.

I would prefer we take the time to find the answers rather than a haphazard report that would result in years and years of conspiracy theories and missed opportunities.

(for the record I never did think Trump was guilty of criminal activity. He has more than demonstrated that he has made some very poor choices in personnel and activity -- but we didn't need Mueller to tell us that).

Old 12-01-2018, 10:22 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
oh you must be privvy to all the details of the investigation.

That's exciting.

I only know what is discussed out in public and I am not sure that is all of the details of the investigation.

I will reserve my judgement.

Oh and if in the process of investigating the full extent of Russia's meddling, there are other crimes uncovered, I think Mueller and his team are obliged by their judicial standards to see charges for those crimes. I think it would be immoral and illegal and unethical for them to ignore those crimes just because they didn't fall within the scope of the original investigation.

We tend to be very impatient and want immediate answers, results.

I would prefer we take the time to find the answers rather than a haphazard report that would result in years and years of conspiracy theories and missed opportunities.

(for the record I never did think Trump was guilty of criminal activity. He has more than demonstrated that he has made some very poor choices in personnel and activity -- but we didn't need Mueller to tell us that).
Mostly agree, and/or Trump has enough money to lawyer up over the course of his career to stay clear of convictions that others might not have been able to avoid. Trump has certainly be part of an impressive number of law suits in any case, as the defendant. Lots and lots! Not many of us who don't well recognize how lots of money and lots of lawyers can help criminals stay out of jail. That said, like you I believe in the basic premise that presumes innocence until proven guilty, and we have no choice but wait until the legal process determines what it will.

Thing is too, however, lots of Trump supporters focus only on what charges of collusion have been proven as if to completely ignore what other charges against others in Trump's swamp HAVE been proven. For many Americans anyway, what we know already is bad enough already! Not to mention all the rest about Trump's presidency so far that stinks, having nothing to do with this investigation...

Old 12-01-2018, 10:35 AM

18,744 posts, read 7,613,748 times
Anyone remember when the Mueller investigation was about "illegal contacts with Russia"?

And the fact that, even then, nobody could name any actual "illegal contacts" for him to investigate?

Old 12-01-2018, 10:41 AM

18,744 posts, read 7,613,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
This is the legal authorization outlining the scope of Mueller's investigation.
It does not say "collusion", and has so far resulted in criminal proceedings against 33 people and 3 Russian organizations.
So... not a wild goose chase.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...el-Russia.html

ORDER NO. 3915-2017
APPOINTMENT OF SPECIAL COUNSEL
TO INVESTIGATE RUSSIAN INTERFERENCE WITH THE
2016 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION AND RELATED MATTERS

By virtue of the authority vested in me as Acting Attorney General, including 28 U.S.C.
§§ 509, 510, and 515, in order to discharge my responsibility to provide supervision and
management of the Department of Justice, and to ensure a full and thorough investigation of the
Russian govemments efforts to interfere in the 2016 presidential election, I hereby order as
follows:

(a) Robert S. Mueller III is appointed to serve as Special Counsel for the United States Department of Justice.

(b) The Special Counsel is authorized to conduct the investigation confirmed by then-FBI
Director James 8. Corney in testimony before the House Permanent Select Committee on
Intelligence on March 20, 2017, including:
any links and/or coordination between the Russian government and individuals

(i) associated with the campaign of President Donald Trump; and

(c) (ii) any matters that arose or may arise directly from the investigation; and

(iii) any other matters within the scope of 28 C.F.R. § 600.4(a).***

If the Special Counsel believes it is necessary and appropriate, the Special Counsel is authorized to prosecute federal crimes arising from the investigation of these matters.

(d) Sections 600.4 through 600. l 0 of Title 28 of the Code of Federal Regulations are applicable to the Special Counsel.

*** https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/28/600.4
28 CFR 600.4 - Jurisdiction.
§ 600.4 Jurisdiction.
(a)Original jurisdiction. The jurisdiction of a Special Counsel shall be established by the Attorney General. The Special Counsel will be provided with a specific factual statement of the matter to be investigated. The jurisdiction of a Special Counsel shall also include the authority to investigate and prosecute federal crimes committed in the course of, and with intent to interfere with, the Special Counsel's investigation, such as perjury, obstruction of justice, destruction of evidence, and intimidation of witnesses; and to conduct appeals arising out of the matter being investigated and/or prosecuted.
TRANSLATION: We can't name any specific crimes that Mueller is being appointed to investigate. But we'll appoint him anyway, see if he can find something, and then go after President Trump for those. Even if what Mueller finds aren't crimes at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies