Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2008, 05:36 PM

793 posts, read 2,214,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
Teenagers have had children forever. Doing genealogy in my own family I discovered some who were married at 14 and 15 and began a family. The culture that these people live in is extremely different than ours. Even some states allow for marriage at 16. Looking at pictures of these people it looks like they've stepped out of a time capsule, not too long ago in American culture women were "forced" into marriage by their fathers, some at a young age. They're just a reflection of our cultural past, that doesn't warrant the forcible taking of their children.
Same in my family tree too. My GGG grand mother got married at 15, despite her father's wishes. She married someone 8 yrs older then her. No she wasn't forced into marriage. It was her choice. She was mature enough to marry. But what has changed since then? Teenage girls are smarter and have more knowledge then our ancestors, they aren't educated to be mothers anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
So, where is the proof that ALL of these 416 children, including boys, were forced into marriage with older men...

My point is, the government didn't care about actually finding out who was abused before they took the children...they just took them.
Didn't know even boys were forced in to marrying older men. I must have miss something there.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timechilipot View Post
You said most. I said all. Nobody is forcing a fad on anyone. But these women obviously have to have there hair the same way, and where the same kind of dresses, and were told what to say to the news media.
Actually I found those kind of dresses, kind of cute. I wonder if my girlfriend would agree to dress like them.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I just saw a clip - don't know whether it was from a show not yet aired or what. I felt like crying. If you had seen them, you would be sitting here like me and wondering what has happened to these poor women. They all said the same thing - like robots. There is something terribly wrong here.

I never advocate taking children from their mommas. It breaks my heart to think about these women not having their precious babies w/ them. But the thing is - they are being oppressed and brain washed themselves and God only knows how these women have been abused - physically, mentally, emotionally, sexually. They don't even know they have the right to say NO to the men who run that society b/c they will be shunned if they do not do everything they are told to do.

It is horrible and I am sick how they have been treated and had to live. I have read many stories from women who managed to escape these horrible "families" and it is awful what they survived. And awful for their children.
What I saw was conserned parents for the safety of their children. Most parent's would be conserned to if there children were taken away. That be the only thing on their mind, nothing else would matter.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:54 PM

So how long do you think those abductions will last?

Old 04-16-2008, 06:44 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djf863000 View Post
Actually I found those kind of dresses, kind of cute. I wonder if my girlfriend would agree to dress like them.
Ask her and come back and let us know how it went.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:52 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,439,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Like Jerry Lee Lewis? Like Loretta Lynn's husband?

In both cases, the women were much younger than the men, and not over 16.
Nope, girls under 16 are still CHILDREN should not be FORCED to have sex with old perverts. Those men should be charged with rape and put in jail, IMO.
It's against the law and the law should be upheld to protect INNOCENT young girls from being forced to do things against their will.

So, who here, who keeps defending this, would like their 13 year old daughter to get impregnated by a man in his late 40's? Would you want that for YOUR Daughter? And if not, why should these poor girls live like that. They did not sign up for this kind of life.
SICK

forum rules, please read them

Old 04-16-2008, 09:09 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,115,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Nope, girls under 16 are still CHILDREN should not be FORCED to have sex with old perverts. Those men should be charged with rape and put in jail, IMO.
It's against the law and the law should be upheld to protect INNOCENT young girls from being forced to do things against their will.

So, who here, who keeps defending this, would like their 13 year old daughter to get impregnated by a man in his late 40's? Would you want that for YOUR Daughter? And if not, why should these poor girls live like that. They did not sign up for this kind of life.
SICK
I haven't seen anyone in this thread defend sexual abuse...

Old 04-16-2008, 09:12 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,874,059 times
here's a novel idea. Arrest the men that are married to multiple women, had sex with minors, and send the children back home to their mothers.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:13 PM

no one is defending abuse here. We just have different views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies