Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 11:41 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,672,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I don't know if politics or science is the right place for this but here goes, since intergovernmental action, on an international as well as national basis is required. This cannot wait since catastrophe is imminent. Let me set forth the problem.

I wanted to go out for my run this morning at 6:30 and it was pitch black outside. The stars were out so the weather was fine. When I left work at 5:00 p.m. yesterday it was similarly gloomy. Only roughly nine hours in between were passably bright. And it was cold. Real cold. Around 32°F 0°C, or colder. or I seem to remember going for outdoor swims at 8:00 p.m. not very long ago in bright sunlight, 86°F or 30°C or so, and being wakened by full daylight before 6:00 a.m. If we keep going at this rate we'll have total darkness around the clock. By 2090 we'll become blocks of ice if something is not changed.

We need a global effort, from all segments of political, academic and entertainment life. Bon Jovi and Elton John provided road fuel at the Paris Climate Accords conference in 2015, after all. It would help relieve the gloom as serious statesmen went about their salubrious business saving the world.
What piece of evidence are you looking for in order to believe what scientists are saying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 11:43 AM

35,073 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
What piece of evidence are you looking for in order to believe what scientists are saying?
Some material that is not novelistic.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:44 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,672,549 times
Quote:
Some material that is not novelistic.
Such as?

Old 12-07-2018, 11:45 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:
No it is not copied. I typed it out myself during a work break.

Don't quit your day job, science is not your forte.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:45 PM

35,073 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
OP: Go hang a circle of evergreens on your front door, to represent the sun. Tie a red ribbon on it, for the color of fire. Believe me, it will work!! Even better, put candles in your windows and light them each night and place more evergreens in your house. The mantelpiece is a great place, since it's right above the fire.

Before another month passes, you'll see the sun start to tenuously lengthen its stay each day, though the weather will remain cold until around March. Don't worry, there are other things you can do to make sure it warms up and green returns to the earth. Check out morris dancing and Maypoles.

And it's all because you did it!! By participating in this ancient ritual of the evergreens, you made the sun come back!! Congratulations!
I'm Jewish so I don't post a "circle of evergreens" on my door. Your predictions and logic are nothing more than "global darkening denialism."

Old 12-07-2018, 06:58 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
I don't know if politics or science is the right place for this but here goes, since intergovernmental action, on an international as well as national basis is required. This cannot wait since catastrophe is imminent. Let me set forth the problem.

I wanted to go out for my run this morning at 6:30 and it was pitch black outside. The stars were out so the weather was fine. When I left work at 5:00 p.m. yesterday it was similarly gloomy. Only roughly nine hours in between were passably bright. And it was cold. Real cold. Around 32°F 0°C, or colder. or I seem to remember going for outdoor swims at 8:00 p.m. not very long ago in bright sunlight, 86°F or 30°C or so, and being wakened by full daylight before 6:00 a.m. If we keep going at this rate we'll have total darkness around the clock. By 2090 we'll become blocks of ice if something is not changed.

We need a global effort, from all segments of political, academic and entertainment life. Bon Jovi and Elton John provided road fuel at the Paris Climate Accords conference in 2015, after all. It would help relieve the gloom as serious statesmen went about their salubrious business saving the world.

A typical conservative perception. A failure to recognize a recurring pattern. They keep getting inept bozos elected, who run down the country and raise the deficit. Then, after a democrat comes in and sets us back on the right track, they elect another one of their incompetents and repeat the whole destructive process.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:04 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Dark is faster than light. So, it will always be dark first, before it eventually becomes light.

Proof: slowly open your sock-drawer. First the contents of the drawer are dark, but then as you open the drawer further, gradually the contents become better illuminated.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:05 PM

18,452 posts, read 8,282,661 times
Obama increased the deficit 74%....

..Trump is predicted to increase the deficit 29%

Is that the failure to recognize a recurring pattern?

Old 12-07-2018, 08:30 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Quote:
I'm Jewish so I don't post a "circle of evergreens" on my door. Your predictions and logic are nothing more than "global darkening denialism."
Well, hanging evergreens around the time of the winter solstice is known to have been customary in ancient Rome, which had its share of Jewish folks. It's more likely that the Roman Jewish community celebrated Hanukkah than the Saturnalia during the shortest days of the year, then as now. But they certainly lit candles, as did other folks of many faiths - and guess what, the darkness went away! As it will do once again this season.

I'm not pagan, but I still hang a "circle of evergreens", aka a wreath, on my door each year during this season, regardless of its interesting ancient origins. I also light candles and observe other ancient traditions which have pagan origins but which were Christianized long ago.

Of course, in reality the lengthening and shortening of the days has to do with the tilt of the earth upon its axis - which has little to nothing to do with global warming, a very real problem indeed.

It's quite possible to believe in the reality of global warming and still hang a wreath on your door or light candles to celebrate whatever you choose to celebrate, at this time of the year. Knowing the origins of such customs makes them all the more interesting to me, and fosters a sense of wonder that they have endured and been handed down for thousands of years.

Sorry you didn't appreciate my effort at satire. There's a wonderful poem, "The Shortest Day", by Susan Cooper, about the ancient traditions associated with the winter solstice which have survived and come down to us through the centuries - I recommend it, along with a visit to the wonderful "Christmas Revels", should they be performed anywhere near your home. If not, seek out Christmas Revels recordings, which include material from many, many cultures and religious backgrounds, but are all splendid and quite lovely.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:33 PM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
This happens every year now since I've been alive. We have to DO SOMETHING!!! A Global Darkness Tax on everything will fix it. I see a Tax for the number of hours of darkness per year to take effect.

Last edited by Pilot1; 12-07-2018 at 08:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies