Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 08:53 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,702,744 times

Advertisements

Some of my best memories are from office Christmas parties. Sally from Accounting would have a few drinks, I would have a few drinks, and..........the next Monday neither of us could look at each other !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 09:07 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,807,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
All company sponsored social events, particularly the ones that supply free alcohol, have virtually no upside and all manner of downside. Just based on common sense, companies shouldn't have them. If I ran Mega_Corp_01, I would simply close the office at noon on specific days and via email wish everyone well, have fun, thanks for being cool employees, etc. Easier, cheaper, less risk to me and every last one of them, etc.

Every company that has company paid functions that involve alcohol have always had some story come out that lives in infamy for years, and often results in someone being fired, quitting, or at the very least bad optics and lower morale in the workplace.

It's just not worth it.
The potential for behaviors to be perceived as harassment increase with alcohol and is not limited to males hitting on females. Sometimes clients are involved, too.

More importantly is alcohol liability for property damage and bodily harm ( usually but not always involving a car). Every case is different and outcomes are variable. Some have made it to state Supreme Courts. And then there’s the issue of under- aged employees being served alcohol.

Corporate insurers and attornies typically strongly advise their clients to nix the alcohol and avoid creating a perception that attendance is mandatory to avoid potential liabilities.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:12 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,807,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
They may be rare, but they do exist. I didn't just pull that out of the air.

I went to one such party. It started at noon, at a location away from the office. The options were to go, or to remain in the office and work. Lots of food, lots of booze, and a small scandal when a junior employee who happened to be related to one of the VPs got arrested for driving home drunk.
Lots of booze is the issue.

Most large scale employers have been increasingly reducing potential liabilities for decades.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:23 AM

1,768 posts, read 569,429 times
Every time I've been asked by an employer what I think we should do for an office Christmas party I suggest:

Take the amount you would spend on a party
Divide it by the number of employees you have
Give them the cash
And as much paid time off as they would have spent at the party

Old 12-13-2018, 09:49 AM

20,350 posts, read 19,958,548 times
Quote:
According to Weiner, the prospect of the "Holiday" party is a difficult one for women due to the difficult task of "choosing clothes that signal that you are polished without being boring, attractive without being provocative, and that you’re looking to be promoted, not propositioned."

"For women, it’s never easy," she says, adding that men "have it all figured out" when it comes to festive wear.
The horror!!!! Want a whiny, desperate complaint.

How many millions of others in the First World can relate to her so-called "problem".

That said, I really enjoyed workplace Christmas parties of the '70s when I was in my twenties. FUN times.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:32 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,967,847 times
Another writer who unwittingly proves beyond a doubt how dumb SHE THINKS women are.

You really don't know what's appropriate to wear? REALLY????

#idiotneofeminists
#fakeproblem
#lovetobeangryallday

Old 12-13-2018, 10:36 AM

15,542 posts, read 10,528,971 times
Naw they should just give all the women karate lessons for Christmas.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:37 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,701,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Because men are all just horny dogs waiting to spike the punch. JFC. How are real victims to be taken seriously?

I don't know about spiking the punch.

Women have no clue, that a man undresses them 5 seconds after they figure out, they are looking at a woman.
You are not ever going to suppress that. Mother Nature won't let you.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:38 AM

2,448 posts, read 896,806 times
Does anyone here enjoy office parties?

Old 12-13-2018, 10:39 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,914,704 times
I remember one Christmas Party where the boss’s wife got drunk and started flirting with damn near every man in the room. We were all smart enough to back away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies