Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 03:58 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
My God that is some stupid logic.
This is why liberal logic is scary.

It is the parents fault for being part of the caravan...there are thousands of kids back home that did not die because they were not taking a hike to the US border to attempt to enter the country illegally. So are we going to credit the US Border Patrol for saving their lives? If not, then you are exposing your own hypocrisy on the subject.
And I can't believe your logic, so here we are ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
We weren't freaking out, for God's sake! Trump took care of it in the way he should have as president. I never heard anyone referring to them as Herd of Zombies either. The point is that never before have we had so many foreigners crashing our border all at once with two or three more caravans coming after the initial one. It's a well known fact that many would have and have tried to enter our country illegally because there was no way to process that many people for asylum in a timely manner. We already have a back log of 750,000 asylum claims to process.
But it isn't the first time the government has used the Latino Threat Narrative, feeding bogus information to the American people in hopes they are not paying attention.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:07 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,285,932 times
It sounds like you like to make excuses for illegal immigration. Why do you hate America and it's citizens?

Old 12-14-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
It sounds like you like to make excuses for illegal immigration. Why do you hate America and it's citizens?
I could ask the same question of you. I have no emotional response for you, only the facts of the government bureaucracy that has created a divide by the use of psychological and social mechanisms. Why can you not see beyond it?

Old 12-14-2018, 07:54 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,598,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
I could ask the same question of you. I have no emotional response for you, only the facts of the government bureaucracy that has created a divide by the use of psychological and social mechanisms. Why can you not see beyond it?
The facts are there is a legal way to come to the US and non-legal ways. If people chose the non-legal ways then they get to suffer the consequences of doing such(this being the parents being responsible for the girl that died--while sad, could have easily been avoided had they not tried to do something illegal.)

Old 12-14-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
The facts are there is a legal way to come to the US and non-legal ways. If people chose the non-legal ways then they get to suffer the consequences of doing such(this being the parents being responsible for the girl that died--while sad, could have easily been avoided had they not tried to do something illegal.)
Read (all) this and the get back to me on legal and illegal ...
Quote:
The rise of illegal migration goes back 1965, when Congress passed amendments to the Immigration and Nationality Act that placed the first-ever numerical limits on immigration from the Western Hemisphere, while at the same time cancelling a longstanding guest worker agreement with Mexico (Massey and Pren 2012a). Subsequent amendments to the Act further tightened numerical limits until by the late 1970s Mexico was placed under a quota of just 20,000 legal resident visas per year and no temporary work visas at all, as compared with 50,000 permanent resident entries and 450,000 temporary work entries in the late 1950s (Massey, Durand, and Malone 2002).

The conditions of labor supply and demand had not changed, however, and network connections between Mexican workers and U.S. employers were well established by the mid-1960s. As a result, once opportunities for legal entry constricted, migration did not stop but simply continued under undocumented auspices (Massey and Pren 2012a).

<snip>
Even legal “permanent residents†at this time tended to circulate back and forth. According to Warren and Kraly (1985), annual out-migration by legal Mexican immigrants averaged about 20% of annual in-migration during the 1970s; and Jasso and Rosenzweig (1982) estimate that 56 percent of legal Mexican immigrants who arrived in 1970 had returned home by 1979.
Why Border Enforcement Backfired
Note when you come to it, Human social cognition and Commissioner of the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service, Leonard F. Chapman 1976.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:14 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalsLB View Post
It seems that the immigrant caravan was only a media circus until the midterm elections. What happened?
Another example of the media exploiting something for their own purposes (and an example of their anti-Trump agenda)
Who made it a thing - Trump claiming we were going to be invaded by thousands of terrorists or the media reporting that Trump said we were going to be invaded by terrorists.

I can't figure it out.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MammothLove View Post
They're not in cages (although who knows, some may be) but detained? Yes.
The left and right have to stop fighting about this and using it politically and come together and solve this problem for the sake of all.
Migrant children tell of life without parents inside US immigration detention centres

There's a short video clip, shows partitioned areas by chain linked fencing ...

Immigrant children describe treatment in detention centers

"They were identified in the reports solely by their first names. Timofei, a 15-year-old from Russia who sought asylum at the border with his parents over their beliefs as Jehovah’s Witnesses, said night and day blended together in the locked, crowded room where he was held with other boys. It had a single window overlooking an empty corridor, he said. He said there was no soap in the bathroom, and he only sometimes got a single-use toothbrush."
Quote:
The left and right have to stop fighting about this and using it politically
I agree, but don't see that happening any time soon.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:59 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Trump utilized through the media the caravan in order to grow his base. We only knew about the Caravan (dog bites man it isn't news, man bites dog that's news) because of Trump. In the end it had the opposite effect. Because he went to the extreme with it and shot himself in the foot.
1) It isn't only Trump. You're really talking about anyone right-wing, or who otherwise prefers Republicans to Democrats. Right-wing allies in business and in the media wanted the Republican base to vote in November, and telling them that thousands of illegal-immigrants are trying to force their way into the country was a good way to get them out to vote. And likewise, portraying Trump as an evil racist who hates minorities, and who locks children in cages, and shoots tear-gas at families, was a good way to turn out the left.

2) Only the party who believes they will benefit wants to make it an issue. If shining-light on something hurts "your side", you try to ignore it. But if an issue is brought-up, both sides are forced to start talking about it, defending their position, attacking the other side, etc. And they'll keep talking about it until another issue comes along that is more-advantageous to "pushing their agenda"(or blocking the other side). Because this is all just a game for power.

3) I know that Trump has come to symbolize "the right". So it has become easy to make everything about Trump. But who represents the left? In the same way that "the left" is not a single person, and is rather hundreds of people, each who have their own agenda. The same goes for the right. Trump only represents the right insofar as he has the loudest voice, and because Republicans and other right-wingers are forced to rally behind him to protect themselves and their party.

Quote:
Mad about Russia? Propagandizing people?

I'm more up set about people believing that other people are too stupid to have their own mind.
My point is, when they say "Russia is interfering in our elections" and "undermining our democracy". All they are really saying is, "Russia was trying to misinform people through propaganda".

And when MSNBC or CNN or Fox News goes around complaining about Russian propaganda, I just laugh. Every media company is nothing but propaganda and misinformation. And the government, from before you even step foot in a public school, is already trying to propagandize and indoctrinate people.

Media companies aren't actually opposed to propaganda. They aren't even opposed to fake-news, misleading headlines/stories, or anything else of that sort.

They are only opposed to Russian propaganda to the extent that the Russians don't share with them common interests. So as long as Russian propaganda is similar to, or otherwise helps their own propaganda, media companies could care less.

But regardless, my point still stands. Democracy is controlled by propaganda. Always has been, always will be. And no sane person should believe otherwise.

The argument of course is that democracy needs a "free press". Which is an admission that if the government, or some other faction, was in complete control of the press, they would have complete control of the people.

The problem with the so-called "Free press", is that the media simply is not a good representation of the people. The media is in reality, a private-business. They are multinational corporations, who depend on other corporations for their income. And the media figures themselves are wealthy, egotistical narcissists, who have never had a real job.

But it isn't only democracy which is ruled by propaganda. All governments are ruled by propaganda. The Soviets, the Chinese, the Nazis, America, France, Germany, Sweden. The reason these countries are different, is only because of who is doing the propagandizing.

Sweden doesn't vote differently from Germany because they are smarter. They vote differently because their propagandists have different interests, based on different circumstances(IE money).

Old 12-15-2018, 08:38 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,165,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalsLB View Post
It seems that the immigrant caravan was only a media circus until the midterm elections. What happened?
Another example of the media exploiting something for their own purposes (and an example of their anti-Trump agenda)

Apparently the paychecks ran out.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies