Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 08:40 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,317 times

Advertisements

Nick Miroff and Robert Moore wrote a 12/13/18@9:55 PM WaPo article called: "7-year-old migrant girl taken into Border Patrol custody dies of dehydration, exhaustion". The article states with "A 7-year-old girl from Guatemala died of dehydration and shock after she was taken into Border Patrol custody last week for crossing from Mexico into the United States illegally with her father and a large group of migrants along a remote span of New Mexico desert, U.S. Customs and Border Protection said Thursday."

I wrote in the article comments section that
Quote:
Where we draw the line between an immigrant kid dying due to the actions of her parents and an immigrant dying due to the actions of state/federal government employees is complicated with stories like this. To me, it sounds like there was fault on both parties (father and border patrol). However, as far as who more responsible for her death, that is valid debate but I lean more towards the party who had custody of the kid at the time of their death. Even if the kid had not eaten for days because of the father's actions, members of the U.S. Border Patrol perhaps should have done a better job at keeping her alive.

Those BP agents might not be legally responsible for her death, but might be from a moral/ethical standpoint. Of course, the same type of argument applies to many tragic events in any country: Person A might not be legally responsible for Person B dying, but the former might be ethically/morally responsible for the latter's death.
Thoughts?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-14-2018 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: Added link to the article

Old 12-14-2018, 08:42 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Nick Miroff and Robert Moore wrote a 12/13/18@9:55 PM WaPo article called: "7-year-old migrant girl taken into Border Patrol custody dies of dehydration, exhaustion". The article states with "A 7-year-old girl from Guatemala died of dehydration and shock after she was taken into Border Patrol custody last week for crossing from Mexico into the United States illegally with her father and a large group of migrants along a remote span of New Mexico desert, U.S. Customs and Border Protection said Thursday."

Thoughts?
Her Parents should be imprisoned for child abuse.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:44 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
Can't have any thoughts, other than feeling terrible for a 7 year old, until I actually know what happened.

She might have been at deaths door upon arrival and BP was unable to save her. Or BP were negligent.

Of course anyone trying to push a narrative one way or the other will propagandize and spin.

"The careless evil parents user her as a pawn to make the glorious United States look like the bad guy", or the other side
"The evil United States let this poor child die due to their of racist hatred!!"

Either way an innocent 7 year old died who shouldn't have.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:45 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,054 times
Parents motto:

Entry into the US > Welfare of child.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:46 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
If I did that to my kid, the headline would be different and I would be charged.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:46 AM

62,933 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:

Thoughts?

My thoughts are where is the proof that the Border Patrol could have done anything to save her? I'll wait till all the facts are in before passing judgement on them. We know for a fact though that her parents are guilty of not providing her with food and water and was the eminent cause of her death.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:58 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
I think it is heartbreaking and speaks to the desperation of the refugees.

The optics aren't good & of course it will become political.

'm not sure any specific border control officer is guilty of being negligent. We have young children die here of dehydration and they have parents who are attentive, know something is wrong and it still happens.

I hate that this is political.

I do think that we need to know the risks that are being taken and the severity of the situation but I hate to blame any one person given the conditions.

I don't want to point a finger , make this child a symbol of anything other than the desperation of her family to try and get an opportunity at a decent life.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:16 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
I mean ~ did we not give that kid a drink of water during the 8 hours she was in custody??????????

Old 12-14-2018, 09:19 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
article: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/customs...el-paso-texas/

lordsburg, yeesh. that place looks like the surface of moon.

Quote:
The Border Patrol told the Post in a statement that she "reportedly had not eaten or consumed water for several days."

Old 12-14-2018, 09:24 AM

29,468 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
Such a shame her parents risked her life like that. Poor decisions equals bad consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies