Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2018, 07:51 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Europe’s taxes likely go towards paying for many other things besides healthcare. There’s no telling what all they have coming from that 50% rate.

I wouldn’t doubt if many middle aged Americans are paying near that rate now, but instead of it going to the government, it’s going to the insurance companies.

When you add up all the taxes Americans pay, Fed tax, State tax, property tax, sales tax, taxes disguised as fees, etc....

It probably adds up to average 50% of their income now.

Raising taxes even higher to pay for single payer isn't something that would go over well with American taxpayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 07:54 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
You guys f**ked it up.......

You tell me.

Obamacare was supposed to lower everyone's premiums by $2500 per yr.

But my premiums have doubled and my deductible has more than quadrupled.

And now I have no co-pays...... meaning EVERYTHING goes towards my deductible, even a simple check up or office visit to get a prescription renewed can cost me hundreds.

Can Trump do better?

I don't know.

But I'm pretty sure that he can't do much worse.
Please don't deflect the question.

Trumpcare is promised to be better, less expensive, and everyone covered. THAT is what Trump promised.

So, again, where is the money going to come from for Trumpcare?

Please be specific to the question. Where is the money going to come from for Trumpcare?

Old 12-16-2018, 07:55 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I'm tired of paying for employer-based subsidies. Time for those people to put some skin in the game and pay full freight, as many here demand those of us who don't have employer-based insurance or the subsidies that go with it, do.

They have been mooching off the rest of us for decades.
repeal the 16th Amendment and we would not have that problem, now would we.
Employee insurance use to be a lure to get better employees. Now, it is expected if not mandated by government.
Remember Insurance is not healthcare, buddy.
Insurance is a monopolized cartel, based upon a pyramid scheme.
The only legal pyramid scheme allowed to continue in the USA.
Now government see's the cash flow, they want their cut(Thanks Nixon)

Old 12-16-2018, 07:56 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Geezus...I'm 78 and was in perfect health for most of my life. I am not overweight but began to develop age related problems about ten years ago....Old age is something none of us can escape, and don't be fooled when people call it the golden years...There is nothing golden about watching your body slowly fall apart.
Here are the facts:

Quote:
"Obesity is one of the biggest drivers of preventable chronic diseases and healthcare costs in the United States. Currently, estimates for these costs range from $147 billion to nearly $210 billion per year.".
https://stateofobesity.org/healthcare-costs-obesity/

We could pay for the wall at the southern border several times over by simply refusing to fund obesity's (a lifestyle CHOICE) health care costs.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:00 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
When you add up all the taxes Americans pay, Fed tax, State tax, property tax, sales tax, taxes disguised as fees, etc....

It probably adds up to average 50% of their income now.
There was actually a study on that, conducted by two liberal think tanks. Here's how it worked out...

CHART>> Chart: Total Effective Local, State, and Federal Tax Rates, by Income Cohort <<CHART

Data sources for chart: Tax Policy Center and Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy, two liberal think tanks...

Federal Tax Rates (includes individual and corporate income tax, payroll taxes for Social Security and Medicare, and the estate tax):

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/sites...F/T13-0035.pdf

Local and State Tax Rates (includes state income tax, real estate tax, private property tax, and sales tax):

Executive Summary | The Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy (ITEP)

Old 12-16-2018, 08:00 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
repeal the 16th Amendment and we would not have that problem, now would we.
Or you could willingly give up your subsidy for the good of the country. That's what you're asking independent contractors and the self-employed to do. Be responsible and pay your full costs, like you want us to do.

Quote:
Remember Insurance is not healthcare, buddy.
It is when you don't have it and therefore cannot afford healthcare. If you've never gone without, you wouldn't understand that.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:02 AM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
People with absolutely NO skin in the game, demand I pay more for them to live.
I work, so they can live.
And insurance means in the future others will pay so you can live.

In any case it's not about cost or taxes...Canadians now pay less taxes than Americans. Get rid of private insurance and all the costs associated with it, then and you will be most of the way to much less expensive universal health care...Did you ever notice how many health insurance commercials are on TV? Did you know that a 30 second national TV ad costs an average of $123,000 and a local ad costs up to $1,500....This is for TV time only and doesn't include the cost of producing the commercial.....

Old 12-16-2018, 08:04 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
It depends on whether you believe in statistics or not.

Health care rate increases slowed.
20 million people were added to the insurance roles.
Preventative care was made into law (a physical must be included each year).
Pre-existing conditions were covered.
Your kids could be on your policy longer.

That's not chicken feed considering many aspects of the law were only in effect for 2 year or so.

It's typically American to expect miracles and instant results - but life doesn't work that way. Under GWB there were double digit increases most every year and people going bankrupt in spades....and being dropped for ridiculous things.

The perfect is the enemy of the good....

As far as what YOU pay - well, that's an anecdote. Better care, within the existing system, costs a little more. Health care was 10K per person per year 8 years ago and if you weren't paying that much then someone else (likely the debt and deficit) were paying for you.

People like free stuff. That's basically the point I see you making. But I don't see a coherent argument about truly improving the overall system....like the ACA did and RomneyCare did by ANY measure.

This is the bottom line.

If Obamacare helped more people than it hurt,then there wouldn't be so much opposition to it even now.

And the 20 million people who were added to insurance roles doesn't really mean anything.

Why?

Well, if you mandate that people have insurance...even young and healthy people who may not even want it, of course the overall number of insured is going to increase.

But what good does simply having insurance do if premiums and more importantly deductibles are so high that you cannot afford to actually use it?

My wife needs an MRI for her back.

Before the ACA, our cost for that test would have been about $350. Now we will have to pay the entire cost of over $3500.....just for the MRI....that doesn't include any surgery she might need after the MRI.

And her back problems aren't even a pre-existing condition.

Read other posts in this forum and others on the subject.

My situation is not anecdotal, many others tell the same story.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:08 AM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Here are the facts:

https://stateofobesity.org/healthcare-costs-obesity/

We could pay for the wall at the southern border several times over by simply refusing to fund obesity's (a lifestyle CHOICE) health care costs.
Old age is not factored into that statistic because old age is NOT preventable.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:21 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,738,569 times
I think it's going to backfire in a major way if Republicans try to attack Obamacare once more as a centerpiece of the 2020 election cycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies