Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 04:48 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,591,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
And guess what's the 2nd-least educated state? Red Texas.

From the OP's article:
Probably because they have a lot of ex-Californians who have moved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 04:50 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,591,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Explain Massachusetts, Minnesota, Colorado, states with high percentages of its residents with college degrees and those states are voting Democrat in large numbers. And then explain Louisiana, Mississippi, Kentucky, and Alabama, which are Republican states with relatively high percentages of high school dropouts.
A lot of college students stay in the same state because they don't want to grow up. When I lived in Boston there as an overabundance of cab drivers with PhDs.

Old 12-20-2018, 04:56 PM

16,097 posts, read 10,762,339 times
Been to both states. Texas seems dumber. Part of the issue could be the number of immigrants that come to those states from poorer countries with only rudimentary educational systems.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:04 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
A lot of college students stay in the same state because they don't want to grow up. When I lived in Boston there as an overabundance of cab drivers with PhDs.
Well, I will explain the rest of the Boston area for you, since you ignored it. You might have cabbies with PhDs. However, with the presence of biotechnology, the universities, alot of high-tech industries. You can hate Boston all you want. I'm not wild about Boston myself. However, you have to give Boston credit. The region has alot of innovation and a big high tech presence. Many PhDs might stay in Boston because they can find work. Easier to find work with a PhD than a Bachelor degree.

Now, explain Minnesota and Colorado with its high amount of educated residents and voting Democrat.

And explain Kentucky, Louisiana, and Mississippi, with its low amount of foreigners and being Republican states, but ranking low in terms of education.

Last edited by green_mariner; 12-20-2018 at 07:15 PM..

Old 12-20-2018, 07:08 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Been to both states. Texas seems dumber. Part of the issue could be the number of immigrants that come to those states from poorer countries with only rudimentary educational systems.
I used to live in Texas. While immigrants from poor countries could play a factor in relatively high dropout rates, Kentucky, Louisiana, and Mississippi are very bad in terms of dropout rates, and those states do not have nearly as many foreigners trying to move to those states. Mississippi ranks very bad in terms of education. Always has. At least Texas has a large high tech presence and aerospace engineering. Alot of tech companies are setting up in Texas.

And in some cases, immigrants from poor countries can also be educated. Nigeria is a poor country and many educated Nigerians come to the USA.

Last edited by green_mariner; 12-20-2018 at 07:16 PM..

Old 12-20-2018, 07:15 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,145,575 times
I'm surprised. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would have expected it to be a state in the deep south.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:16 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCHouseHunter View Post
Probably because everyone from California comes here and brings their garbage politics with them
Honey, the Californians who are relocating to Texas are typically not uneducated or low paid. Many of them are from the tech sector, and they're going to places like Plano, Fort Worth, and Austin.

The Place to Be

Old 12-20-2018, 07:18 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,385,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Honey, the Californians who are relocating to Texas are typically not uneducated or low paid. Many of them are from the tech sector, and they're going to places like Plano, Fort Worth, and Austin.

The Place to Be
Actually, most of them are moving to Texas because they can no longer afford to live in California because of policies they helped to implement there. Ironically, once they move to Texas or other states such as Colorado or Arizona, they vote for the same policies which have made California unlivable.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:19 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Actually, most of them are moving to Texas because they can no longer afford to live in California because of policies they helped to implement there. Ironically, once they move to Texas or other states such as Colorado or Arizona, they vote for the same policies which have made California unlivable.
They're moving to follow their employers.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:24 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,385,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
They're moving to follow their employers.
Who are escaping taxes? I would say the employers are escaping excessive taxation and regulation as well as the employees.

That is fine, and we welcome the jobs, but the people need to look at their new surroundings and try not to ruin them by immolating a failed state like California. We used to live in California and in fact just returned from there again on a road trip. What a sad and terrible place. Why in the world would anyone vote to replicate that sorry state of things? Pitiful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies