Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 08:01 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,385,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Then what do you do about people who refuse to be personally responsible for their own lives. Throw them in prison?
If people choose to shoot up in stalls and kill themselves, that is a terrible thing, but the rest of us shouldn't have to suffer with open stalls because of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 08:34 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
One doesn't need to sit in a classroom for 16 or 18 years in Texas to have an excellent career in high-growth fields like manufacturing, construction, mining and trades jobs to have a nice home in a nice community.

California on the hand it's a requirement to be indoctrinated and pay for education crudentials to have much of a possibility to have even the smallest single-family home in many areas

A working couple doesn't need have lots of credentials in Texas to afford a very nice home and have an excellent quality of life.
You don't need to but it helps tremendously. If you don't finish high school, the odds are against you. You'll have a much higher percentage of being poor and having a criminal.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Then what do you do about people who refuse to be personally responsible for their own lives. Throw them in prison?
lol As if that's the only other option.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
And guess what's the 2nd-least educated state? Red Texas.

From the OP's article:
Texas ranks No. 2 for the percentage of its residents 25 and older who have never completed ninth grade and 49th for the percentage who have graduated from high school.
No hippie state is going to be less educated and have higher overall debt than Texas for long.
Give us time. We'll get to be #1.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:34 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,553,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCHouseHunter View Post
In one statement you managed to

1) Assume I didn't read something based on what I selectively responded to
2) Selectively responded to something somebody else said
3) Immediately went to 'always' 'never' 'every' 'none' absolutes like every other liberal (see what I did there?)
4) Failed to actually answer my question

What a joke this site and its posters are
No absolutes there, right?

Old 12-21-2018, 08:38 PM

30,180 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I wouldn't be surprised. Some people were nonchalant about the town of Paradise,California getting burned down. And then some people would gleefully say things like "California's one earthquake away from sinking into the ocean".

This is more or less a "Democrat bad, Republican good" thread disguised as a hatred for California thread.

No. I was born in California spend more than half my life there. I do not hate California. The education issue is more of a proximity to Mexico than anything else. Lots of people flood across the border lack a decent education. That is why Texas is #2 and Arizona as well as New Mexico are near the bottom. The draw of social programs is a big part of it and since these programs are federal in nature the red or blue aspect of the state is not that important.

California is a beautiful place to live. I would never trade my years growing up there for anything.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:43 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,239,759 times
How does that even happen in the modern era? I've only ever heard of that from older generations who had to quit school to go work on the family farm. My grandfather was the only one in his family that graduated from high school, the other siblings only went to eighth grade. Interestingly, the siblings all were successful, when independent grit and sweat could pay off with rewards in America.

I know kids who dropped out of high school but they were over sixteen - junior or seniors so they at least had two years of high school. I thought there was a minimum age.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:35 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
No. I was born in California spend more than half my life there. I do not hate California. The education issue is more of a proximity to Mexico than anything else. Lots of people flood across the border lack a decent education. That is why Texas is #2 and Arizona as well as New Mexico are near the bottom. The draw of social programs is a big part of it and since these programs are federal in nature the red or blue aspect of the state is not that important.

California is a beautiful place to live. I would never trade my years growing up there for anything.
I wasn't talking about you specifically. What I'm saying is that I notice a big hatred for California. Some people do wish for it to slide into the ocean from an earthquake.

Old 12-29-2018, 04:34 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
No hippie state is going to be less educated and have higher overall debt than Texas for long.
Give us time. We'll get to be #1.
With the number of leftists moving to Texas from CA, I don't doubt it. Now combine that with ICE dumping illegals there.

Old 12-29-2018, 04:37 PM

26,512 posts, read 15,088,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
And guess what's the 2nd-least educated state? Red Texas.

From the OP's article:
Democrats have won the high school drop out vote for years. No wonder Democrats think they can turn Texas blue!

In all seriousness the Democrats are like a bell curve - winning the most and least educated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies