Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 07:27 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Who are escaping taxes? I would say the employers are escaping excessive taxation and regulation as well as the employees.

That is fine, and we welcome the jobs, but the people need to look at their new surroundings and try not to ruin them by immolating a failed state like California. We used to live in California and in fact just returned from there again on a road trip. What a sad and terrible place. Why in the world would anyone vote to replicate that sorry state of things? Pitiful
Immolating? I don't think that's the word you meant to use. Perhaps you meant emulating?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 07:33 PM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I'm surprised. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would have expected it to be a state in the deep south.
Well, it can be surprising. However, if you look at some of the states that come very close, they are in the South. Louisiana and Mississippi have high dropout rates, and relatively low percentages of their populations with college degrees.

The truth is, bringing up California is just a snide way of saying "this is what you get with Democrats and foreigners". The whole idea is "Democrats bad, Republicans good". It isn't that simple. For a state like California, you have Minnesota, New Hampshire, and Colorado. You have Nebraska and South Dakota. And then you have Louisiana and Mississippi.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:35 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Immolating? I don't think that's the word you meant to use. Perhaps you meant emulating?
How very typical of a leftist to turn to calling out the spelling or grammar of someone who threatens him! Have you heard of Grammarly auto correction? In any event, when a leftist is cornered and has nothing of substance with which to counter, she always brings up points such as spelling or grammar. It's okay, as many of us were in your shoes at one point, so we sympathize with you.

Wouldn't you rather retain a little self esteem and try to counter on the actual argumentative points?

Old 12-20-2018, 07:41 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Yesterday it was Colorado, today it's California. Why are far-right conservatives so obsessed with attacking liberal states about these obscure, irrelevant statistics?

Yesterday it was bathroom doors in a Colorado train station, today it's how many Californians don't make it through 9th grade.

Why are some conservatives around here so angry?! Do you guys wake up every morning and just start screaming in bed "damn those liberal scum!"

Some of you people need to log out of City-Data and watch some puppy videos on YouTube or something. All that anger and hatred isn't healthy.
No doubt, those people lack confidence that the conservative way of life is better than the liberal way.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:47 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
No doubt, those people lack confidence that the conservative way of life is better than the liberal way.
You're missing the essential element in all these stories - personal responsibility. In the Colorado story where the doors were removed from the stalls, everyone has to suffer and use the bathroom in front of everyone else because the government decided that a few drug addicts should not be held responsible for their own personal safety.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:51 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Oh, I'm not sure about that - if the poster in question hates California so much that he or she wants to destroy it...I wouldn't be surprised.

But then, you can also ridicule that poster in question for his/her misuse of the word, in the context of someone who wants to slam California for having many people who aren't educated. Irony is a b****.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:53 PM

California will be an expensive state because of its geography. An estimated 28 to 30 million people live on a relatively small amount of California's land. The San Diego area, the Greater Los Angeles area, and the Bay Area are attracting the more people than other parts of California. Not that many people are moving to the Central Valley compared to the aforementioned parts of California. Tech industry(Bay Area), aerospace (Greater L.A.), film industry(before L.A., the film industry was more concentrated in New Jersey/New York), maritime shipping(all three regions I mentioned), military (San Diego in particular). The Central Valley is a major agricultural center. Not as heavily populated. And then you have alot of mountains. After that, desert. Alot of places in California are not geographically feasible to live in, in large numbers.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:56 PM

2,068 posts, read 999,218 times
Quote:
How very typical of a leftist to turn to calling out the spelling or grammar of someone who threatens him! Have you heard of Grammarly auto correction? In any event, when a leftist is cornered and has nothing of substance with which to counter, she always brings up points such as spelling or grammar. It's okay, as many of us were in your shoes at one point, so we sympathize with you.

Wouldn't you rather retain a little self esteem and try to counter on the actual argumentative points?

Yep. When they cannot offer any counter-argument, they can always insult one's intelligence.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Oh, I'm not sure about that - if the poster in question hates California so much that he or she wants to destroy it...I wouldn't be surprised.

But then, you can also ridicule that poster in question for his/her misuse of the word, in the context of someone who wants to slam California for having many people who aren't educated. Irony is a b****.
I wouldn't be surprised. Some people were nonchalant about the town of Paradise,California getting burned down. And then some people would gleefully say things like "California's one earthquake away from sinking into the ocean".

This is more or less a "Democrat bad, Republican good" thread disguised as a hatred for California thread.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:57 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
You're missing the essential element in all these stories - personal responsibility. In the Colorado story where the doors were removed from the stalls, everyone has to suffer and use the bathroom in front of everyone else because the government decided that a few drug addicts should not be held responsible for their own personal safety.
Then what do you do about people who refuse to be personally responsible for their own lives. Throw them in prison?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies