Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 03:43 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,671,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Well, we figure since Obama added more to the deficit than every President before him combined, what difference, at this point, does it make?

Are you saying Democrat spending good, Republican spending bad? That's what it sounds like to me. I didnt hear you complaining about Obama's reckless spending on things like Solyndra, and the failed Obamacare web site that cost us $200,000,000+.

The Dems spend Trillions to buy votes from everyone, and then expect the Republicans to take it all away and lose votes? Sorry, we figured that one out. Now its our turn to blow Trillions and buy some votes of our own. "Elections have consequences John, it your turn to take a seat in the back of the bus."
I fully support your party first race to the bottom ideology. Given what I've seen from American voters these days, anything more would be unrealistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2018, 04:00 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Well, we figure since Obama added more to the deficit than every President before him combined, what difference, at this point, does it make?

Are you saying Democrat spending good, Republican spending bad? That's what it sounds like to me. I didnt hear you complaining about Obama's reckless spending on things like Solyndra, and the failed Obamacare web site that cost us $200,000,000+.

The Dems spend Trillions to buy votes from everyone, and then expect the Republicans to take it all away and lose votes? Sorry, we figured that one out. Now its our turn to blow Trillions and buy some votes of our own. "Elections have consequences John, it your turn to take a seat in the back of the bus."

Millions, billions, trillions, you say.

I kinda suspect all those zeros get mixed up in your post.

Old 12-25-2018, 04:12 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times
Quote:
The above is why I can 't stand the {R} party and their fake conservative nonsense. Yep, they also say they love the constitution and the forefathers and at the same time proudly proclaim that their pathetic party bribes the people for votes. I wonder if he is aware that the house of reps hold the purse springs and it has to pass the Senate? which party was the majority 6 of Obama's 8 years?

Looks like Obama had some help.

Old 12-25-2018, 04:32 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,654,438 times
Quote:
Obama's policies added about $2.2 trillion dollars to our national debt during his time in office.

Obama added $2.7 trillion dollars to our national debt from 2013-2022 by extending 82% of the Bush tax cuts.
Budget Deal Makes Permanent 82 Percent of President Bush

And Obama added $831 billion dollars to our national debt with his 2009 stimulus.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...nt_Act_of_2009

The other $7 trillion dollars added to our debt during Obama's time in office was caused by the Bush administrations Iraq/Afghanistan wars, GW Bush's tax cuts that took place when Obama first entered office, increased spending by GW Bush (Bush increased spending by 48.6%), and federal subsidies started by GW Bush, ex.ex.

Economic Downturn and Legacy of Bush Policies Continue to Drive Large Deficits | Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

Report: Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan cost almost $5 trillion so far
https://www.mercatus.org/publication...-george-w-bush
Do Crony Handouts Have a Stranglehold on the GOP?

Quote:
Government spending by president,

Reagan- 25.4% increase.
Clinton- 5.5% increase.
GW Bush 33.3% increase.
Obama- 15.8% increase.

https://mises.org/blog/federal-spend...an-under-obama

Obama decreased government spending by over 50%. And for this reason it can be argued that Obama is the smallest government spender since Dwight D. Eisenhower.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rickung...-barack-obama/

Old 12-25-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Actually, it does benefit the middle class but since most people don't have a clue about how your W2 income is taxed and the tax code you can be easily misled to believe that it benefited the rich which is not true.

Of course, if you don't pay federal taxes, to begin with, why would you bother to learn about federal taxation right? You'll just take the easy way and learn from the media who by the way are rich.
Trumps tax cuts do the following,

Raise low income workers after-tax income by 0.8%
Raise middle class Americans after-tax income by 1.5%
Raise the richest 1% of Americans after-tax income by 13.5%
Raise the richest 0.1% of Americans after-tax income by 14.2%

https://www.forbes.com/sites/janetno.../#1ccb08765b9d

Old 12-25-2018, 04:43 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post

https://www.forbes.com/sites/janetno.../#1ccb08765b9d
Of course the first thing he did was give himself a tax cut, and one for his kids. I don't blame him, but my gripe is framing it as a middle class tax cut to deceive the pubic.

Old 12-25-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Of course the first thing he did was give himself a tax cut, and one for his kids. I don't blame him, but my gripe is framing it as a middle class tax cut to deceive the pubic.
Trump gave his kids a $2.8 billion dollar tax cut (by abolishing the Estate Tax, a tax that only effects the richest 0.2% of Americans.)

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...ids-2017-09-28

Old 12-25-2018, 05:00 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post

And raised the yearly deficit to an amt exceeding a trillion dollars for as long as we can see into the future. Given this market now I wouldn't be surprised if we got to a 1.5 Trillion dollar yearly deficit.

Then, after that is set in stone, maybe a Dem POTUS will be elected and "conservatives" can point the finger and ask why the budget isn't balanced.

Old 12-25-2018, 05:01 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Why wouldn't you blame him?

Is the POTUS job defined as taking what money you can for yourself?

I think you are confusing a regular, albeit selfish, citizen with the POTUS.

Old 12-25-2018, 09:50 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
You are correct. If Trump would stop appointing people based on looks he would’ve had a fed chair who would’ve kept rates low. But no, Yellen wasn’t attractive enough for him. I’m glad the FED is raising rates because if we hit turbulence there will be tools that can assist. The fed has to stop QE at some time so it was bound to happen.
The Fed stopped with QE over 4 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies