Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2019, 10:11 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,674,025 times

Advertisements

What percentage of people crossing the border won’t be able to because of the wall or fence or steel slats?

Old 01-29-2019, 11:02 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
USA Today did a story a couple months back how increased security at the border was having a negative impact on drug arrests, investigations, cash and property seizures, conviction statistics, etc for many law enforcement agencies thru out the country, it makes perfect sense, if they restrict the drug flow, less drugs are coming in, less drugs reaching their destination.

This may sound great in theory, but its not good for law enforcement, just imagine if such an effective wall WAS put in place...I think we would see law enforcement suffering not long after, they could not demand the same budget as past years, they would have to lay off or not hire as many new employees, etc etc.

My city paid for body cams for all the cops with money seized from drug busts, other depts use this money to buy equipment, specialty vehicles, etc, if the drug flow is severely restricted, this all goes away!

Ultimately law enforcement relies on the drug flow being consistent, as much as the drug suppliers rely on drug laws and enforcement in the US.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:42 AM

62,976 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
Will a wall work between the border states and Mexico?
I have lived some 9 miles from the border with Mexico for a long time at one point. We used to visit both Nogales and Douglas on a regular basis and this is what I observed.
Both towns have border walls. Now these walls may not be as good as the proposed type of wall that is being looked at but they are there.
I saw illegals climb the walls and wait until the Border Patrol would drive down the road some distance and then they would drop into the US and run for cover in the towns. In many cases others along the wall would create a distraction causing the border patrol agents to respond and while they were responding others would drop into the US.
I am convinced that in a wall can be breached. I don’t buy Mexico care one way or another whether they climb the wall and without some support from the government they will do it whenever they please.
And both towns have quite a record of tunnels being dug for entrance into the US but I don’t think they are used a lot for illegal immigration but rather for transportation of drugs. Another problem we have along the border has been the use of drones or small lightweight aircraft to make drug drops in the US.
There are many many miles of border with Mexico. Most of it is wide open and unguarded. I know what I was stationed at Fort Huachuca, AZ many years ago we were told that if you see them they had a hands-off policy. And, like many other states, Arizona has extensive federal or even Indian lands along the border which are more or less wide open to both drugs and illegal immigration.
The bottom line is that a wall may slow them up a bit but it will not stop them.
The only thing that will ever stop them is his border guards every so often 7 days a week 365 days a year. And I will tell you for a fact that this country simply cannot afford that kind of presence on the border.
At one point we live only 9 miles from the border and had a small plot of acreage. And around our property I could find clothes that they discarded and many other things that were left behind that could identify them as illegals. Illegals in particular would try to steal cars to get away from the border and we had many accidents from Douglas to Sierra Vista, Arizona and some involved the death of local civilians. And these people were very anxious to get away from the border as if you lived within 25 miles of the border the border patrol could enter your property to apprehend them. No they could not open lock sheds and such but the presence of the Border Patrol, ICE and many other agencies.
I used to monitor the radio frequencies of many of these agencies along the border and found it frustrating when they sent messages to the agents in the field telling them that they were out of transportation for the day and to quit detaining illegals. This was almost a daily occurrence in some cases. What is the point?
Based on what I have seen I certainly could not support a wall of any kind as I believe that the only deterrent that will ever keep people from crossing is the presence of armed personnel and the knowledge that they will use their weapons.
In the years I lived on the border there were many times that illegals would be recycled to Mexico and actually be back in the US before the agent that arrested them got off work.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2018/12/12/walls-work

Old 01-29-2019, 11:53 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,733,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Shocking!

Or maybe more fake news fabricated by the liberal media. I think so, because this piece is not an effort to make Trump look good. That's a sure sign of fake news fabricated by the liberal media, but thanks anyway. I don't much like considering information from "enemies of the people," but I might just pass this along to confirm my hunch about all this. Lots of people in this forum are good at explaining why all such information should be dismissed, always.

PS: Along those lines, have you posted this in this other thread?

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...erged-535.html

If not, I think you should as it would be a good addition.

Right! Like anything posted anywhere makes a difference to anyone. What AM I thinking?

Last edited by LearnMe; 01-29-2019 at 12:01 PM..

Old 01-29-2019, 12:32 PM

230 posts, read 94,987 times
Default Shock Poll: Democratic swing districts back wall,Trump immigration offer

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...igration-offer

Very interesting. As I have said Pelosi is pandering to an EXTREME far left minority and NOT the majority of democrats especially in swing districts.

Old 01-29-2019, 12:34 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,784,113 times
Polls good....polls bad....I’m so confused.

Old 01-29-2019, 12:35 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,700,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarRight View Post
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...igration-offer

Very interesting. As I have said Pelosi is pandering to an EXTREME far left minority and NOT the majority of democrats especially in swing districts.

So, which is it. Do you guys believe polls or not ? Or only when you think they say something you want them to say ?

Old 01-29-2019, 12:36 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,700,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Polls good....polls bad....I’m so confused.

Great minds think alike.

Old 01-29-2019, 12:36 PM

230 posts, read 94,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
So, which is it. Do you guys believe polls or not ? Or only when you think they say something you want them to say ?
I never said I believed it I just find it interesting what these people have to say.

Old 01-29-2019, 12:38 PM

39,080 posts, read 51,252,674 times
From the story:
Quote:

The Public Opinion Strategies survey done for the Republican National Committee
That is not proof it's biased but it does raise the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies