Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2019, 04:47 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I believe that 'thrush limberger' is a type of strong cheese made from birds. Baby beluga is likewise an acquired taste. I have no idea about strumf.

match the appropriate names with trump,john baron,and the cheese's name rhymes with rush.

Very difficult to give real names to fake people!!!

Old 01-12-2019, 04:54 PM

19,779 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
If you are an American citizen, Trump is still your president. Deal with it.

I know---anything Trump wants for this country, you are going to oppose it just because...Trump.
He was a d!ck and a crook in the 90’s when I first grew to loathe him.

Nothing has changed.

And I wouldn’t follow any orders from that lying sack of monkey crap no matter the cost. I’m not a born blind sucker.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:58 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
He was a d!ck and a crook in the 90’s when I first grew to loathe him.

Nothing has changed.

And I wouldn’t follow any orders from that lying sack of monkey crap no matter the cost. I’m not a born blind sucker.
But you did vote for Hillary. Or did you not vote at all? Either way you have no business calling those who didn't vote like you "blind suckers". I am so thankful that Hillary isn't our president

TDS sure runs deep in some

Old 01-12-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Well, if you decided to build a wall out of platinum instead of wood so you could keep the neighbor kids off your lawn, you’re gonna raise some eyebrows.

Yes, walls are useful. No, they aren’t effective enough to spend over a decade and tens of billions to build one.
When we're talking about protecting our southern border, then, yes, it's worth the money

According to you, we should build a cheap, wooden wall at the border? In that case, it won't be effective---never mind last very long.

Once again, the wall that Bill Clinton had built at the San Diego/Tijuana border has drastically cut down on crime and illegal crossings. Why do anti-wall people have such a hard time grasping that fact?

Old 01-12-2019, 06:25 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Question Do you really want to make America safe?

Then here is the wall that will bolster national security.

And it's already built.

Moscow
Agent
Governing
America

Old 01-12-2019, 06:42 PM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
I just don't think that's the case. There is a misunderstanding. It is not that the rest of the border areas outside Trump's 700 miles are impossible to "navigate." It's just that they are not suitable for a wall for various topographical or economic or logistical reasons. And that's true even of some portion inside the 700 miles - hence the dispute.

For example, the Rio Grande is at times so low that migrants can wade across it. But it that sufficient reason to disrupt the extensive private footage along the river?

This is not an either-or situation, although that's how Trump chose to popularize it. I object less to the wall (for all I know there may well be a case for additional fencingin certain locales) than to the process.

Whether we like it or not there will always be some number of illegal immigrants. The issue is at what cost should various counter-measures be taken. These costs involve not only direct constructions but downstream impact. To my knowledge, Trump has not made his case for additional fencing. At least not in the form of doing the actual work, the cost-benefit analyses. And presented them to Congress to justify funding etc.

We have a system that relies on checks-and-balances, one of which is that Congress approves funding. Heavens knows that doesn't always result in the best-possible outcomes but it - with Congressional oversight - is what we have. Trump even though President cannot degrade that system.

The wall bill was actually passed back in 2006. Don't you think that the congress that passed it already had considered the costs, logistics, etc. of it? Why do you need something specifically from Trump then?

Old 01-12-2019, 06:49 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
When we're talking about protecting our southern border, then, yes, it's worth the money

According to you, we should build a cheap, wooden wall at the border? In that case, it won't be effective---never mind last very long.

Once again, the wall that Bill Clinton had built at the San Diego/Tijuana border has drastically cut down on crime and illegal crossings. Why do anti-wall people have such a hard time grasping that fact?
Not at all what I was saying.

We don’t need a continuous wall.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Not at all what I was saying.

We don’t need a continuous wall.
No one ever said that there will be a continuous wall from San Diego to Brownsville. Many parts of the border are impossible to navigate, so no wall is necessary in those areas.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:56 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The wall bill was actually passed back in 2006. Don't you think that the congress that passed it already had considered the costs, logistics, etc. of it? Why do you need something specifically from Trump then?
Quote:
And almost as soon as it passed it was amended by Republican Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison, Republican amending the law to read: "nothing in this paragraph shall require the Secretary of Homeland Security to install fencing, physical barriers, roads, lighting, cameras, and sensors in a particular location along an international border of the United States, if the Secretary determines that the use or placement of such resources is not the most appropriate means to achieve and maintain operational control over the international border at such location.
As far as the "plans" for the Secure Fence Act, I sure don't see any in the bill, but it wasn't even fully funded at the time, Congress set aside 1.4 billion for the fencing. The bill simply refers to 'secure fencing' and mentions areas where it's needed. I don't see anything about costs, logistics etc though.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/109th-...bill/6061/text

Old 01-12-2019, 07:25 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,098,861 times
Some basic facts about the wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-f6KkLJF9c
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies