Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2019, 05:32 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Not to mention that the vast majority of the folks who are not officially authorized to stay - simply just overstay their visas. It's not about physical borders or barriers.
That’s pretty much how we got here.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:38 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Dumb wall? Did you tell congress that back in 2006 when the actual wall bill passed and was signed by both Schumer and Obama? Did you just ignore all the links I have posted denoting how the good walls are very effective? Even the head of the Border Patrol and Homeland Security has said we need them. But you know better than them, right?

You mean the 2.5 billion spent on a fence, that to this day is still involved in lawsuits from all the property it seized?

Meanwhile Trump is trying to get 2X as much for areas it wont be as effective in, and for part of a larger project thats 10X as much.....and ALSO less effective.

They arent the same thing. Fences arent walls.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:39 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
What do said agents want? Everyone I've heard believes the wall will be an effective tool. Do they not know what they are talking about?
It would be less effective and cost more than the methods I outlined. BP agents are not policy/feasibility analysts. That's high level stuff. They see something that would make their job easier...they want it. Just like I would have never turned down a new faster computer in my job, even it if returned less than it cost.

There are areas where a wall is the answer. We have walls now. I wouldn't balk at some more in key spots. Just not the ridiculous idea of a 2,000+ mile wall from sea to shining sea.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:41 PM

62,951 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
He lies constantly and his low information base will believe everything that comes out of his mouth. A phony border crisis. He can’t even clearly say what he wants. A wall, fence or electronic surveillance or all of the above. How can you negotiate about 5 billion of taxpayer money when he can’t even specify how the money will be spent.

Estimates for a southern border wall are in the 20 billion range. So 5 billion will seal the border and solve illegal crossovers forever? He’s blackmailing Congress and setting a dangerous precedent. Next time there will be another manufactured crisis and demands for money and another government shutdown. The real crisis in this country is the insanity of Donal Trump.

Trump is specific about needing a border barrier and that's what the money will be spent for, duh. What difference does it make if it's a wall or a fence just as long as it's tall and effective? You guys just love arguing semantics, don't you? The Border Patrol wants the steel slats with a pointed top so they can see who's approaching from the other side and Trump has said that he agrees with them.

Of course $5 billion won't complete the wall but it's a start. It will take about $25 billion to complete it. Geezus, Rome wasn't built in a day, you know. I have posted numerous links proving that the good walls do work alredy and that the Border Patrol and Homeland Security want them.

We've had a crisis on our border for decades now so stop acting like this is new and manufactured. No, the insanity in this country are the Democrats and other clueless citizens who stick their heads in the sand when proof is provided to them that the good walls do work and are cost effective. Most of them have a personal agenda to keep the flow of illegals coming into our country and has nothing to do with the costs of the wall nor it's effectiveness. It's shameful that they want to sacrifice our border security in that way.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:42 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,225,328 times
It time for Trump to go!!! "Period".....

America, this nightmare has gone on too long, gone too far and has caused too much damage, and is has caused American vast monetary cost and a damaged government that it will take us time and expenses to repair and fix.
When he's removed... Pence should be removed along with him.... and full censure (the expression of formal disapproval) of the Republican Senate.

Indite him... Jail Him.. and seize his properties as "ill gotten gains" and slap him with the full scope of the RICO statues, and then hit him with "subversive conduct and acts against the sovereignty of America !!! Treason against America from within the Office of the President... and give him the stiffest penalty mandated under Treason.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:45 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,166,113 times
Is this immoral?

https://twitter.com/amiehere2/status...32410661380096

Old 01-04-2019, 05:48 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
It time for Trump to go!!! "Period".....

America, this nightmare has gone on too long, gone too far and has caused too much damage, and is has caused American vast monetary cost and a damaged government that it will take us time and expenses to repair and fix.
When he's removed... Pence should be removed along with him.... and full censure (the expression of formal disapproval) of the Republican Senate.

Indite him... Jail Him.. and seize his properties as "ill gotten gains" and slap him with the full scope of the RICO statues, and then hit him with "subversive conduct and acts against the sovereignty of America !!! Treason against America from within the Office of the President... and give him the stiffest penalty mandated under Treason.

This little experiment really has been extremely costly and damaging. If you add up all the time and money spent on all the various investigations alone, it is astronomical . Electing an unfit, unethical bozo may have been fun for the angry people on the Right, but it really has done nothing but hurt us in every respect.

I really feel sorry for the next poor SOB who has to come in to this office and try to repair all the damage that has been caused here and abroad by this out of control twit. I would not want their job.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:50 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
What the heck? Did he just binge a entire months worth of Adderal?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-ocasio-cortez

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trum...ry?id=60164759

Impeach him now. This is insane. He literally referred to "The military version of eminent domain"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6tOgF_w-yI

Old 01-04-2019, 05:51 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,743,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwsavemoney View Post
As a liberal myself, I don't understand the immorality part at all. Illegal immigration is called as such because it is illegal. Having said that, I don't understand why the Trump supporters are pushing so hard for the wall. Instead request the law makers to enact the existing laws that ensure illegals cannot be hired.

Illegal immigration stance could be the achilles' heel for the Dems for 2020.

That makes sense. I guess you take what you can get. It's Trump doing something a least or a Dem putting out the red carpet for anyone walking across the border.

I think E verify was in the budget. I'm not sure what happened. I would prefer that there was a wall. But E verify would be a lot more effective for the cost. The wall does nothing for those here already and for people overstaying visas.

The other side to it is, if Trump was talking about E verify like he talks about the wall, then we would also be hearing all sorts of argument as to why it won't work, isn't fair, will hurt the economy, and so on. I bet it would be called a humanitarian crisis by Liberals if Illegals lost their jobs. Sometimes, you just can't win. But E verify is a very good idea.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:57 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
What nonsense. Obama was talking about executive orders-of which Trump has been issuing FAR more. But here we are talking about martial law, and seizure of property under it in order to bypass congress's check on a president.... The difference is like comparing a firecracker, and a nuclear weapon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies