Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2019, 12:24 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
They won't ever because Mexico will never pay for a Wall.
Exactly, when poth Nieto and former presidente Fox were asked on record if Mexico would pay for the wall, they laughed and said tRump is out of his mind

Old 01-07-2019, 12:25 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Exactly. I also don't care who pays for it, just get it done. I don't understand why the Dems won't budge on this, while trying to get $12 billion more for foreign aid. Why should we be spending $3 billion on the West Bank , Gaza, Syria, and Pakistan ? It certainly does seem like they care very little for our border security.

Why should the Democrats give Trump what the Republicans would not?

IF this were SUCH an emergency - Trump could have had it done very first thing with his complete control of the government.

But he chose to give the 1% a tax break instead.

Lastly, why should Democrats allow Trump to throw a tantrum and hold the government hostage? Like a small child, he will simply do this again and again.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:26 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Exactly. I also don't care who pays for it, just get it done. I don't understand why the Dems won't budge on this, while trying to get $12 billion more for foreign aid. Why should we be spending $3 billion on the West Bank , Gaza, Syria, and Pakistan ? It certainly does seem like they care very little for our border security.
The majority of Americans disagree with you. We don't want it, we know it won't work, and besides, Trump promised Mexico was going to pay for it, not us. Congress (the House, anyway) is reflecting the will of Americans instead of the will of Trump - for a change.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:27 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Most Americans don't have a positive view about illegal immigrants coming across the U.S.-Mexico border.

Any way you look at it.
Of course not. Why make them all think those people are armed and each has the mind of a homicidal maniac, too?

The vast majority of people who cross the border are simply looking for work. Those you can stop with e-Verify and the requirement of papers to get a job at all.

The ones who will KEEP ON crossing, even IF the wall gets built, are the hardened criminals, drug dealers, and people who already come here via water and air.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:29 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
The majority of Americans disagree with you. We don't want it, we know it won't work, and besides, Trump promised Mexico was going to pay for it, not us. Congress (the House, anyway) is reflecting the will of Americans instead of the will of Trump - for a change.
in 86 Ted Kennedy promised to secure the borders and NEVER bring forth another amnesty bill

Old 01-07-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
He is doing no such thing, buddy. Not all "bad hombres" are "brown people" --- and you know it, too. Again, not all Mexicans are "brown people". Why do you keep repeating the falsehood that they are?

No, it is YOU who turned this into a race topic by claiming there is a fear of "brown people". Not all illegals are "brown people" --- and you know it, too.

BTW, I'm of Hispanic descent and saw nothing racist in the words "bad hombre". I am certainly well aware of what racism towards Hispanics looks and sounds like.
Maybe you saw nothing wrong with it BECAUSE you are of Hispanic descent and using the term "hombre" doesn't signal anything to you?

I'm aware that not all Mexicans are brown, but it's pretty rare that they're paler than the white folks in the US unless you count bad spray tans.

Spaniards? Absolutely as pale as those folks of European descent here, what with Spain being in Europe and all.

Trump constantly signals to his nationalist core. I dunno why you cannot see it, but my white self can. And, I'm a woman, btw.

I never said all Mexicans were brown. Point to where I said it.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:33 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
The estimates for the total wall project are $25-30 billion without accounting for overruns. That money could easily be spent on projects that have already been through cost-benefit and feasibility studies and are likely to yield real benefits rather than 13th century nonsense like a border wall.
If those are the cost estimates, all the more reason to run from it. Who knows, Trump maybe has somehow connected himself to the corruption that would absolutely occur with such a project. Maybe not, but still....

Old 01-07-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Oh...where to begin.

Illegal aliens destroyed the town where I lived.

For example:

The once good elementary school our daughter attended deteriorated to the point where it couldn't get accredited.

MS-13 graffiti has been seen on buildings.

Crime by illegal aliens has increased. Some examples:

An elderly widow who lived alone one night was raped when an illegal broke into her home.

"America's Most Wanted" featured an illegal alien who was later found to be living in an apartment complex in our town.

A high school student, waiting for the school bus one morning was shot and killed in a drive-by shooting. Three illegals were arrested. They killed the student because he refused to join their gang.

The number of over crowded flophouses has grown exponentially to the point where single women lived in fear. Every time they went out of their homes, they were watched and were on the receiving end of cat calls. I talked to a deputy once. She told me that she has seen deplorable conditions in several flophouses---including one that had 16 people living in it.

Due to the increase in flophouses, neighborhoods started experiencing severe parking problems. Some side streets were so clogged with parked cars that in an emergency, fire trucks wouldn't easily be able to navigate. In my neighborhood, we were forced to apply for permit parking through the county because people were coming into our neighborhood to park. Many of them would park their cars and wait around for someone to pick them up. We had problems with our driveways and mailboxes being blocked plus trash in our yards. One night half our driveway got blocked. If we had to go to after hours care, we wouldn't have been able to get out. The police knew all about our parking problems and sympathized with us. They did what they could (like towing the car that blocked our driveway).

There was a time when I thought nothing about going out at night. After a while, I stopped doing so.

I had to give up shopping at the local supermarket when one of the illegals who loitered there when they couldn't get day labor, followed me to my car and tried to unload my groceries for me.

Many people over time, fled the neighborhood. Before you scream "racists!", not all who fled were white. Some of these people had been in the community for years and were literally in tears when they moved.

You, obviously, are so far removed from these quality of life issues that you don't have a clue as to what so many of us have had to endure. Yet here you sit in judgement of us who have seen this up close and personal.

BTW, that $100 billion figure is not "bogus". Illegals take far, far more than they give. They are parasites.
You are aware that criminals destroy other towns in the US and those are not always imported criminals. I mean, look at Flint. The government destroyed what was left there with the water pollution after GM destroyed it the first time by fleeing the country and opening factories in Mexico. And, that is not the fault of the Mexican people.

Still, it seems quite criminal to ruin a city and just not care.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:37 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Why are we paying farmers $12 billion because of the president's bad judgment? This seems like a huge waste, no?

Shouldn't people be able to make it or not and deal with the fallout of who they voted for?

You want $5 billion? Take it out of the farmer subsidies. I'm thinking most of them voted for Trump--why do the Dems have to kick in to bail them out?

Trump made a deal last year with Congress--the wall and DACA. They all agree. Until a few hours later when Trump had his mind changed by his senior advisors--Hannity, Ingraham and Limbaugh--the three stooges.

If Trump was a strong decisive person and could make a decision and live with it, none of this nonsense would be necessary. But he's a wimp who lets radio hosts decide the fate of the country.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:38 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Of course not. Why make them all think those people are armed and each has the mind of a homicidal maniac, too?

The vast majority of people who cross the border are simply looking for work. Those you can stop with e-Verify and the requirement of papers to get a job at all.

The ones who will KEEP ON crossing, even IF the wall gets built, are the hardened criminals, drug dealers, and people who already come here via water and air.
Bingo.

Meanwhile, neither Trump nor his minions have offered any remotely serious rationale. Endless lies, absurdities, and wild exaggerations don't count.

As you posted, E-Verify will deter those seeking employment opportunities and a 30 ft wall, whether made of concrete, steel, or see-through plexiglass, is not going to deter the hardened criminals and drug cartels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies