Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2019, 08:41 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Spoken by the totally clueless. So tell me again at what age can children who need food stamps become self-reliant? Six, seven?
Spoken by the totally clueless who uses fake drama.
Yea that poster had children in mind and not adults.

Since the crash in 2007, population has grown ~9% while food stamp usage is ~40% higher. Guess that's all children, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 08:43 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Again, where are their parents? And what are they doing to feed their kids? It's not enough to apply for food stamps. Those parents should be working more than 40 hours a week each, if they need to, in order to feed and clothe the children they chose to have. It's not society's burden to feed their children
Maybe they are dead. Maybe they have cancer. Maybe they are working, most people on food stamps are after all. Maybe they aren't even the bio parents of the kids. I have had students in my classes being raised by siblings, due to parents illness and/or deaths, and food stamps are all that keep them from starving.

Quote:
Also disgusting, is how posters like YOU only think about the children in these crises. What about the elderly on food stamps? American liberals are only concerned about the children, and cry about that instead of focusing their energies into how to make their parents more productive people and independent of government handouts.
I am a teacher, I see the kids every day. You OTOH are perfectly fine with everyone starving, including the elderly, so you don't get to suddenly pretend to not be a decent person.

Quote:
BTW every city and town have food pantries set up and charitable groups (non-government run) who gather food donations from restaurants to feed the needy. Maybe it's less convenient that getting an EBT card, but at least the needy can't be buying cookies, candy, chips and soda with food stamps, or trading the EBT cards for other things like cash or cigarettes.

Spoken like someone who is truly ignorant. Food stamps cannot be used for soda, cigarettes, etc.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You seem to be unaware that food stamps also benefit the farmers by giving them a market for their crops. In fact, they benefit the very people below that andywire thinks liberals don't care about. They also help the grocery store workers by giving them jobs they wouldn't have if some of these people weren't buying food.
Why don't we break windows in order to stimulate the economy. It will employ people, right?

Quote:
Don't forget the farmers who benefit from food stamps, their entire farming career.
Then lets hand out money to everyone so they can buy grocercies. What could go wrong? Except that people won't work when they can get free money.

Quote:
How do you think one qualifies for food stamps? You do have to prove need.
A single, able bodied adult, can be on food stamps forever as long as they work 20 hours a week. Why work 25 hours a week when that increases income and that person wont qualify anymore? Enough people will take that way out and wont improve themselves.

You want to help? Quit stealing my money for your causes and go feed them yourself.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Maybe they are dead. Maybe they have cancer. Maybe they are working, most people on food stamps are after all. Maybe they aren't even the bio parents of the kids. I have had students in my classes being raised by siblings, due to parents illness and/or deaths, and food stamps are all that keep them from starving.

I am a teacher, I see the kids every day. You OTOH are perfectly fine with everyone starving, including the elderly, so you don't get to suddenly pretend to not be a decent person.

Spoken like someone who is truly ignorant. Food stamps cannot be used for soda, cigarettes, etc.
So you think people who steal my money for their causes makes them decent? That's sick and twisted. The only one ignorant here is you thinking that food stamps is the only way to stop starvation.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:49 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
We aren't in the Great Depression. Nice try though. Still no participation medal.
It taught us something was the comment, not that that we are in it.

We never want that to happen again, but it could, and it would be worse and more violent by far.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:52 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

speaking of ignorant..

In the Shopping Cart of a Food Stamp Household: Lots of Soda

Quote:
A government report shows that sugary soda is the most popular item in the shopping carts of families that receive federal food stamps.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:52 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Again, where are their parents? And what are they doing to feed their kids? It's not enough to apply for food stamps. Those parents should be working more than 40 hours a week each, if they need to, in order to feed and clothe the children they chose to have. It's not society's burden to feed their children

I remember one year, my dad working an extra job at UPS during the holiday rush season between Thanksgiving and Christmas to make some extra money.

Anyway, what's truly disgusting is the creation of teen baby mommas, absentee fathers and expecting society to take care of their awful life choices. And since the Catholic church is against birth control and abortion, they should be setting up to help feed and clothe these children who their parents apparently can't afford to feed and clothe properly. But it's not my burden and my tax dollars shouldn't be used to feed these kids.

Also disgusting, is how posters like YOU only think about the children in these crises. What about the elderly on food stamps? American liberals are only concerned about the children, and cry about that instead of focusing their energies into how to make their parents more productive people and independent of government handouts.

BTW every city and town have food pantries set up and charitable groups (non-government run) who gather food donations from restaurants to feed the needy. Maybe it's less convenient that getting an EBT card, but at least the needy can't be buying cookies, candy, chips and soda with food stamps, or trading the EBT cards for other things like cash or cigarettes.
That is not true. Several posters have mentioned the potential impact of losing food stamps on poor elderly people.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:57 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Many conservatives are probably fine with an economic meltdown as long as the people they hate (brown people, immigrants, gays, non-Christians) suffer. They are even willing to suffer themselves as long as they can make the people they hate suffer.
I'm curious what "many conservatives" have done to make you believe they hate brown people, immigrants, gays and non-Christians. And also in what way do you believe the "economic meltdown" or temporary government shutdown affects brown people, immigrants, gays and non-Christians differently or worse than not brown people, natural born citizens, heterosexuals and Christians?

Old 01-08-2019, 09:07 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
That is not true. Several posters have mentioned the potential impact of losing food stamps on poor elderly people.
What makes them so special? Look at Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Nancy Pelosi, our elderly president, etc. They can work, why not other old people? Put them all to work.

It is happening, with increasing retirement age and awful position when an older person is laid off and Trump removed safety net for their health insurance, putting a 63 year old and 21 year old on the same level. Tech economy has created more ageism, and challenges for older people who are displaced.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:11 AM

10,761 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Then what exactly do you think people will do if they're hungry and unable to earn enough money to eat (If they don't have access to charity services and if begging doesn't work)?
Why won’t they have access to charity services? Why can’t they earn enough to eat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies