Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2019, 10:16 PM

6,403 posts, read 4,136,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Lots of people use food banks and such as supplemental food sources. You might be surprised how many of these people are also on SNAP.

I'm calling bunk on your first story. If you were working as a cashier, how did you have time to watch the customers go to their cars after they left? Wouldn't you be taking care of the next customer? I mean, I've heard these stories about Mercedeses and Escalades over and over again. How do you "take money out of the program" and then give it to someone else to buy beer or cigarettes. Isn't it all EBT cards now?

I used to work with low income mothers, lots of them teens. I would have been happy if some of them had bought steaks and such with their (then) food stamps. For the most part, they bought a lot of prepared foods like mac and cheese in a jar, Chefboyardee spaghetti in a can, stuff like that. Many really didn't know how to cook.
I just want to comment that they don't know how to cook and yet they know how to breed children they cannot care for adequately. Says a lot about how broken our culture is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 05:58 AM

23,816 posts, read 34,785,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
They used to hunt and fish trish. Let em all die for all i care. No work no food. I can understand if a hard working fam falls on hard times and needs help for a while. But the morons just laying around just need to get real neal and work.
Apparently you are unaware of county poor houses.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:40 AM

25,894 posts, read 16,610,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Yes. The ripple effect is only going to get bigger the longer the government is down.
Oh the horror! No big government to keep the boogiemen away!

Old 01-09-2019, 06:42 AM

1,768 posts, read 571,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
LMAO! I used to work at a grocery store as a cashier, and it really ticked me off to watch people have $400-$800 in food stamps, use the money to buy junk, and then go out and get into a brand new Mercedes or Cadilac Escalade. We would even watch them take money out of the program, and then give it to a friend to go and get beer or cigarettes. I have no doubt, people use these programs honestly, but I have seen more people being dishonest with these programs than being honest.
Sure, Jan. You and the author of anonymous emails circulating since the internet was born.

You checked people out, then followed them to the parking lot to see their cars? Did you only have one shopper at a time in this grocery store?

And you are an expert in cars, able to immediately identify the newest model of each make at a glance?

What were the specific steps involved in “taking money out of the program” to give to a friend to buy beer and cigarettes? And again, how did you have the time to track the actions of one customer in such detail?

Did you report this possible fraud to the appropriate authorities?

The income levels needed to qualify for $400 or $800 is significant. Were there two people - one spent $400 and one spent $800? Or several people who spent in the range of $400 and $800? And they all drove Escalades and Mercedes?

How many years ago was this? You must have an amazing memory to remember the grocery purchases and cars of multiple people.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:46 AM

36,794 posts, read 31,084,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
If they're living in a rural area and earn only enough to keep a roof over their head, they could easily find themselves in that situation.
Meh. I live in a rural area and there are multiple charities that provide food, clothing, etc. to those in need. Several even deliver to shut ins.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:59 AM
exm

3,743 posts, read 1,803,818 times
No more beer and steak for them. They actually have to eat canned food and drink water. Shocker.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:09 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,061,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Meh. I live in a rural area and there are multiple charities that provide food, clothing, etc. to those in need. Several even deliver to shut ins.
As I said earlier, many people use food banks and the like as a supplement to SNAP. If you're talking about Meals on Wheels, sorry to burst your bubble but that's a federal food program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
No more beer and steak for them. They actually have to eat canned food and drink water. Shocker.
You can't buy beer or any alcohol with SNAP money. Nor are many people buying steaks, which actually are a pretty good value for the money. Lots buy canned food now, canned mac and cheese, spaghetti, and the like.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:34 AM

193 posts, read 69,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Then what exactly do you think people will do if they're hungry and unable to earn enough money to eat (If they don't have access to charity services and if begging doesn't work)?

Do food banks not hand out food anymore?? I donate food to the local food bank all the time, if they aren't handing it out to people in need, I wonder what in the heck they're doing with it??

Old 01-09-2019, 09:03 AM

25,452 posts, read 9,874,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Please refer me to where I can find "social contract" in the Constitution or The Bill of Rights? Anywhere? Liberal buzz words and talking points aren't law.
If you pay taxes you contribute to the social contract.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:16 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,061,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixlets82 View Post
Do food banks not hand out food anymore?? I donate food to the local food bank all the time, if they aren't handing it out to people in need, I wonder what in the heck they're doing with it??
It's good you're donating food. Be aware that food banks can't provide total needs for everyone in need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies