Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2019, 07:31 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,293,333 times

Advertisements

If you believe the media it's only a matter of time before Republicans fold followed by Trump. The longer the shutdown lasts, the worse it gets for the Republicans. You have to dig deep to find this.

"If I am getting comments and contact from my constituents expressing concern that the Democrats are not prioritizing security, then I think we can do better,” said freshman Rep. Abigail Spanberger (D-Va.)."

"Democrats remain united behind their leadership’s shutdown strategy of refusing to negotiate with Trump on his border wall demand and pressuring Senate Republicans to take up House-passed bills to open up the government. But the first fissures are starting to show."

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...rategy-1092440

Do you see this report ANYWHERE? We should win this shutdown game once and for all.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:33 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,552,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Matter of opinion.

So let him build a wall and if it doesn't work you can say...

"See, we told you so".

Kind of like Republicans did with Obamacare.

Tit for Tat....

No harm no foul.
Yeah no harm just some $5.7 billion MORE in debt.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:35 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,527,685 times
https://www.foxnews.com/shows/tucker-carlson-tonight

Obama's Border Patrol chief: Democrats' misinformed talk of a 'manufactured' border crisis misleads the American public

President Trump should exercise his executive powers to defend the Bill of Rights and fight as hard as he can to protect the dignity of all Americans.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:36 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,721,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I went to my dentist's office for a routine cleaning in Nogales, Mexico about 6 weeks ago. I had a leisurely drive down I-19 from Tucson. I parked my car at a parking lot a few blocks from the main border crossing. Everything looked calm as can be. The only unusual thing I saw was US Army military police standing around, while a group of US Army combat engineers were hanging coils of razor wire above the 20 to 25 foot high border wall / fence right near the main border crossing.

I am a former Army combat engineer, so I strolled down the street to chat with them. I asked, how much razor wire are you guys going to put up? I was told, only on top of the wall / fence that was within about a quarter mile in each direction from the main border crossing. My first thought was what a waste, because nobody in their right mind would try to hop the fence right next to the main border crossing gate in Nogales. This razor wire was just for a publicity show. All someone would need to do is go to a more quiet and less patrolled place along the fence, and try to go over the fence there.

I have watched people go over the 20 foot high wall / fence in the outer parts of Nogales, and it usually takes 15 or 20 seconds. They put up a home-made ladder from 2x4 lumber on the Mexico side, with a rope tied to the top rung. They climb the ladder, and shimmy down the rope. The razor wire, if it was strung everywhere, might slow them down for a minute or two, because they would have to bring along some wire cutters. There are plenty of hardware stores in border cities in Mexico, so this is not a big deal.

Anyway, after watching our taxpayer dollars being wasted on razor wire, I strolled across the border to my dentist's office. After a good cleaning, I was glad to know my teeth were in good shape and decided to take a walk around Nogales. I've been there many times, and this time did not seem any different. There were almost no US tourists on the streets, but the shops and eating places looked pretty busy. I stopped at a streetside stand for a few tacos, then a cup of fresh fruit. A bit later, I went to a coffee shop for an expresso. Everyone I spoke to was friendly, and it did not feel repressive or dangerous in any way. Yes, I saw some Mexican federal police with automatic weapons not far from the main border crossing from Mexico to the US, but I saw US military with automatic weapons on the US side. I waited in a line to cross back from Mexico to the US, and everyone was patient and doing nothing more than chatting, using smartphones or reading something. It was no different than a hospital waiting room in the USA. Didn't look like an emergency to me.
Thank you for your account and for your service.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:39 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,721,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
He made other things a priority first.

Doesn't mean that this one isn't important too.

Besides, if you haven't noticed, he's faced more hysterical opposition and harassment than any president in history.....so he's probably been a little preoccupied.
Slept through the birther BS, led by none other than the person you perceive to be so maligned, I take it.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:40 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,298,793 times
Keep it closed.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:40 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,502,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
DEA? lol All the DEA said that most of their drug bust happens at the legal port of entry....you still have drugs, illegals, and human trafficking coming to the illegal points.
Yes most. And DHS also said that they do not have enough resources at legal ports of entry to properly scan all vehicles.

In the last year you also have tripled rates of apprehensions of illegals on the northern border. Yet when I mention it folks on the right say we should spend money on the south as that is more of a problem. And fair enough. Cost benefit analysis. But if I used your arguement that apprehensions cannot tell us true activity then I can say the north border maybe just as bad or worse. In fact Canada does not require visas from Mexican travelers. hmmm.

So you cant cherry picks stats. And you cant evaluate cost-benefit in one scenario and not another. And I have no seen one done under the Trump admin.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:43 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,102,861 times
How is “remaining united” (per your quote) equivalent to “cracking up”, the thread title?

Old 01-09-2019, 07:46 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,502,295 times
Democrats are cracking up at this thread.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:00 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,552,258 times
https://www.justsecurity.org/62156/t...-myth-reality/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies