Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 07:40 AM

957 posts, read 760,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Trump was wrong. I'm sure you can agree with that. If you objectively look at what's happening, it is clear the Democrats are the one's unwilling to negotiate and compromise. Nancy was in Hawaii, hardly a good faith effort. Liberal commentators even ADMIT that they want the shutdown because they think it's good politics for the Democrats. So once again we have Trump trying to do something for the American people while Democrats are busy trying to get a political advantage at the expense of the American people. SSDD.

You liberals are hilarious. Trump is wrong or lying about everything until he says something that suits your agenda and narrative. Then his statement is the gospel truth. That's the definition of intellectually dishonesty.
Are you really that stupid or are you just pretending to be a moron for the CD crowd.

The Democrats passed a bill to put the workers back to work and get paid along with Republican support. That's putting workers first. Said they would negotiate after that. Trump says the workers can adjust.

Nancy was in Hawaii prior to the new Congress being sworn in on January 3rd. She was there for the swearing in.

Which Liberal commentators have said they want the shutdown to continue? Unlike those who watch Hannity, the Liberals don't want commentators making decisions on how to run the country.

Trump is not doing anything for the American people, he's speaking to his base and trying to deflect from the ongoing investigation into his campaign.

Wake up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 07:41 AM

27,696 posts, read 28,815,324 times
I was thinking -

Why didn’t we have this speech from our President 10, 20, 30 years ago????

It is about time.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:44 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,179,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I was thinking -

Why didn’t we have this speech from our President 10, 20, 30 years ago????

It is about time.
Because they were not birthers and self-serving pathological liars.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:46 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,721,797 times
Didn't watch - won't watch, but his disapproval went UP overnight, so my guess is that many who watched it were not impressed.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:49 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,160,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Weak. Nothing new, he just regurgitated the same old arguments. And his mic was turned up too loud, you could hear him breathing through his nose the entire time, which was kind of weird.

Donald Trump didn't convince anybody last night that doesn't already own a MAGA hat.

Also, I knew Trump was a coward. He didn't have the cojones to claim the national emergency to build his wall. Yellow-bellied wimp.
this especially, what a weenie

Old 01-09-2019, 07:49 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,646,297 times
Even Fox News called out his lies. It was a colossal failure for the president.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:50 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,010,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
For someone who claims to be the best negotiator, it looks more and more like Trump doesn't know how to negotiate.

Government shutdowns end with both sides giving some concessions, both sides give a little to meet in the middle. But we are in the third week of the shutdown and Donald Trump has literally not once mentioned what he might give to Democrats in exchange for his wall.

Donald the Dummy.
Exactly. How do you meet in the middle when Trump's only solution is, "Build my border wall or else?" No Trump supporter has addressed the obvious flaw in his ridiculous reasoning. Even if he gets his $5.7 billion, it's not nearly enough to build it, so it won't help anyway. But $5.7 billion will go a long way toward hiring more Border Patrol agents, improving surveillance, etc. . . A wall is a medieval solution to a 21st century problem, and it's a terrible one. Not only that, because he is such a liar, Trump has the terrible habit of changing his mind over and over, so even if they agree on the $5.7 billion, it's likely he will then insist on more. That is not negotiating.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:54 AM

13,717 posts, read 9,051,920 times
Let us recall the situation: the Senate, in December, passed a continuing resolution to fund the government through February 8th. It passed 100 to zero. Even Mitch McConnell voted 'aye', since President Trump signaled he would sign off.

Then, Trump changed his mind, apparently appalled at the backlash he got from Limbaugh, Ingraham, etc.

New House passes the exact same CR, and send to Senate, where McConnell refuses to allow a vote. Why? Because he does not know if Mr. Trump would sign the bill. Utterly ignores the 'overriding the veto' provision.

Mr. Trump said he would take responsibility for the shutdown. He has made very clear that he would not sign any CR that does not including funding for his wall.

Even if the Democrats said "OK, in the CR we will put in 1.3 billion for a wall", what is to prevent Mr. Trump to shutdown the government again in the new spending bill, if more billions are not added? Obviously, nothing. If blackmail works once, he figures it will work again. Future presidents will also take note. Blackmail works.

As for his speech: I believe the report that he only gave the speech reluctantly. It was poorly delivered. However, at least I watched.

When Schumer and Pelosis came on, they looked so creepy standing tight together behind one podium, that I turned them off. Reminded me of that scene from The Shining, of the twin girls standing in the long hallway.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:58 AM
exm

3,738 posts, read 1,799,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Didn't watch - won't watch, but his disapproval went UP overnight, so my guess is that many who watched it were not impressed.

On what channel CNN?

This thread is so pointless. There are the anti-Trump and the pro-Trump camps who are app 80% of the population and I'm guessing 95% on CD. They either love or hate his speech.

Would love to hear from an independent who is on the fence (get it?) about the border wall.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:59 AM

15,722 posts, read 9,570,014 times
I did not watch it or the Schumer/Pelosi response. From what I heard on the radio this morning and a few pundits, I did not miss much of anything in any of what was said by any of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies