Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 01:27 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,214,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
If you're a grown ass man afraid of a purse-stuffer and/or unable to physically defend yourself against one, then you should not leave the house much less be a police officer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Can't rep you, apparently I've been to generous in sharing the love today.

I have to wonder, if that guy considered this a truly life-threatening situation, what or who else would he be too quick to shoot?

I have great respect for good cops, and great fear of trigger-happy ones.

Years and years ago when I was delivering pizza for a full time job, one of my delivers I came to this house at night, we were allowed to carry the Mag Light for a flashlight, and if you know this flashlight it is a small bat. I had the pizza in one hand, and my Mag Light in the other. Either the person who ordered the pizza or someone else large dog was there.

The dog charged at me, I raised my flashlight, and the dog got as far as my knee, one more step and I would have hit the dog, by that time the owner had just caught the dog just before the dog bit me. I am glad that I did not have to hurt the dog, I love dogs. But by ordering the pizza, the home owner had invited me to their home, and would have been responsible if the dog had bit me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 01:47 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Of course no one should allow themselves to be bitten. But holy tacos, it's a damn chihuahua. You can "defend yourself" against one by simply giving it a tiny scooch with your foot.
The little mutts just seemed to be running around. I didn't hear any growling, or even much barking.

Why did he even shoot the dog? Seemed to come out of the clear blue.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:12 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
A chihuahua bite can actually be quite bad, it's a long thin mouth with very sharp teeth. They can take a deep chunk out of you and that's no joke.
They are bad-tempered little dogs who are nippy, but I've never gotten a bad bite from one. I've had several who have nipped me, though, hard enough to feel the pinch.

They could really hurt a baby or little kid, though. They're really aggressive and quick.

The worst offender was a friend's dog, who would follow me around and bite my pants legs. He never bit anything but the cloth, though, so he was much more a nuisance than a danger.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:17 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Everyone here needs to understand that cops are being trained to shoot any dog that approaches them. Size and circumstances do not matter.

In fact, if a cop does not shoot an approaching dog, they are breaking their training and could be disciplined. If he does shoot it, any charges can't hold up in court because the officer was simply following their training.
Not always.
A few years ago, a local deputy decided to take care of a dog barking complaint by shooting the dog. He forced the dog's owner to hold it while he shot it.

Fortunately for the dog, he only injured it, but he was fired, fined, and the county had to cough up a whopping settlement to the owner for his actions. He was so hated for it that he eventually moved away from the small town where they both lived.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:15 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
They are bad-tempered little dogs who are nippy, but I've never gotten a bad bite from one. I've had several who have nipped me, though, hard enough to feel the pinch.

They could really hurt a baby or little kid, though. They're really aggressive and quick.

The worst offender was a friend's dog, who would follow me around and bite my pants legs. He never bit anything but the cloth, though, so he was much more a nuisance than a danger.
I think there has to be something going on with the owners of these dogs. I never wanted a Chi until one was given to me, and she is a total love sponge to everyone. Honest. Everyone.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:47 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,961,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Everyone here needs to understand that cops are being trained to shoot any dog that approaches them. Size and circumstances do not matter.

In fact, if a cop does not shoot an approaching dog, they are breaking their training and could be disciplined. If he does shoot it, any charges can't hold up in court because the officer was simply following their training.
Shouldnt we train citizens to do the same then?
Especially if it is a vicious police dog?

Old 01-10-2019, 05:07 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,961,090 times
Quote:
I didn't watch the video so I have no comment on whether his actions were justified. What I am saying is if you approach a small dog like this with the attitude of "it's just a little chihuahua" you are a fool.
Oh puhleaze
I have had sausage dogs approach me and the worst they do is latch on to your pant legs.
A quick swing of the leg and they go flying.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:31 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Oh puhleaze
I have had sausage dogs approach me and the worst they do is latch on to your pant legs.
A quick swing of the leg and they go flying.

Pretty much. Throw the boots and game over. Oddly however with all the dogs I ever dealt with as a housing maintenance guy and a plumbing heating contractor the one time a dog actually drew blood was a damn Yorky. He tied into my leg above my bootline and that's all it took. I threw the boot and sent him flying for the extra point. A little painful but hardly lethal threat. That he got his teeth into me was rather a fluke.

LOL one customer once had left for work leaving me to do my repairs and didn't tell me they had left their large Wolf hybrid dog in the house. I became aware of him when I heard these sloppy licking sounds behind me as I was laying on my belly working on the furnace. I kinked my head back and there he was just peacefully watching me. He turned out to be pretty friendly thankfully.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:36 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Thankfully he got canned but it's not enough. Prosecutors are still deciding on if they'll bring charges against this POS. Luckily the 9-pound dog survived but her jaw is all busted up.

WARNING: VIDEO IS GRAPHIC PLUS HARSH LANGUAGE

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...ting-chihuahua

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvFpSvBR6PI
I saw this it’s really messed up.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:40 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
A chihuahua bite can actually be quite bad, it's a long thin mouth with very sharp teeth. They can take a deep chunk out of you and that's no joke.
Of your ankle maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies