Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2019, 07:53 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Let them, they will be replaced and they have no check at all. They knew this was a possibility when they took the job, they need to own up to their choices.
Um they have no check now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 07:53 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
You try going without a paycheck for a month and see how that makes you feel.
My wife and I can go 6 months without pay of any kind before we have to tap something other than our old school savings account, and in my industry and area of expertise, I make anywhere from 25-50% less than a federal contractor doing the same job, depending on their location. And I have to fund my own retirement, unlike the fed.guv worker.

Work disruptions happen, and people who count on paychecks for daily survival should have figured out that nothing is perfectly safe forever. That's why the good Lord gave us "savings" and the free will to deposit money into savings.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:55 AM

19,722 posts, read 10,128,243 times
When they went on strike, they were not illegally being forced to work without pay like now. This is involuntary servitude.

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
It is so nice to see that resisting President Trump is more important than 800,000 Federal workers to Congress. In the end they had better pay those who are not deemed essential administrative leave or come time for the next election when the union bosses call for volunteers to campaign and money for PACs the federal worker says no.
It's so nice to see that getting over 5 billion dollars to toss into a wall project that will likely cost MANY TIMES more money and take over a decade to complete is more important than paying people who work for a living.

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Looking at the thread title... if you are wondering why some are going back to work, read my OP in my RIF thread. If they want to keep their jobs, they had to go in.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:56 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Republicans should run these statements about how to treat workers in their campaigns more clearly. It would do wonders, for the democrats.
Do you mean like this when Reagan ran for his 2nd term?

Trump is the winner in this son.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:59 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Regardless of how your own pay schedule is structured or whether you believe that government employees have cushy jobs and therefore have no right to be paid on the schedule they agreed to, thousands are now working without paycheck. They've missed one payday and there is another one coming up.

The Air Traffic Control union has put out a statement that this is a not a situation that can continue.

Coast Guard folks may continue showing up for months on end with no paychecks in sight, but few others will.

Russian trolls and RW fans aside, the rest of us know that this situation needs to be resolved.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:59 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
It really is shameful how the Democrats are using people as pawns in their political game against Trump.

They can send $10Billion to Mexico to help them build up their economy but they can't send $5 to shore up the border and give our agents the tools to help them keep America safe?

Border security is such a basic concept I just don't understand how anyone can be against it. Their TDS is blinding them.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:00 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
How old are you? Perhaps too young to remember when the ATC tried this in the past.....Yes the situation may be different but there are ways to do again I'm sure....

Allow me to remind folks again.
https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...ic-controllers
Once again, THEY WOULD NOT BE STRIKING. Geesh, how hard is this for some of you to understand that calling in sick for a few days is not the same thing?

Old 01-22-2019, 08:01 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
It's been a month. What are they gonna live on now?

And, "dregs?" What if they had money put away and recently had some unexpected expenses? What if someone had some life events recently that would not allow for savings? Why should people with jobs have to dip into savings when they are working and should receive wages?

How would all the people on Social Security right now feel if this shutdown took their checks?

I suspect that would quickly derail the MAGA train.
Bingo.

Sending out Social Security checks is not a national security priority.

This shutdown would be over in a heartbeat if those checks weren't coming out the first part of February.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies