Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Trump AND Pelosi compromise?
Yes - swallow a bit of pride but get government opened. 49 50.00%
No - Dig in and don't yield an inch. 49 50.00%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 03:49 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Trump offered to give the DACA people citizenship for an end to chain migration, an end to birthright citizenship and wall funding back in Feb. If I were him, I wouldn't give them anything more and I wouldn't settle for anything less. Once you realize this is all about importing new Democrat voters, it all makes sense.

Nonsense! It's all about Trump believing what he says goes and nobody else gets a voice, it's all about Trump having an object he can point to and cry ME! ME! ME!.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 04:45 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
The Wall was part of Trumps campaign issues. He made a big deal of Mexico paying for the wall. This shutdown is Trumps. Not the Democrats. It was filmed where Trump said he would take the blame for the shutdown and he would be proud of it. Like most things ,Trump has changed his mind and is now blaming the Democrats. What else is new? Trump never takes the blame for anything. Why should the Democrats cave in? This has Trumps fingerprints all over it. Why should the Democrats give Trump a reason to crow about how great he is? Most of the country has seen by now what Trump is all about. He is only looking out for himself as always....

Old 01-12-2019, 05:16 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Trump is a bully who has steamrolled over others his whole life.

If Democrats let him get away with this, what's to keep him from doing this again in March when the debt ceiling is reached?

Trump clearly owns McConnell and the Senate Republicans. Now he is trying to own the House Democrats. Ain't going to happen.

BTW, what happened to Melania's anti-bullying campaign? She's been awfully quiet lately.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:23 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I think the wall is a dumb idea, but I think that it is time Pelosi and Trump each swallow their pride and compromise. People need to get back to work.

Maybe Trump gets a small, $2.5B wall.

Agree or disagree?
I struggle with this, honestly. Trump has manufactured a crisis where none existed. There was no reason for the problems of immigration to be raised to this level compared to the many pressing issues facing this country. But the dude has the country over a barrel. And so, here we are over the barrel just the same.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:37 AM

11,371 posts, read 9,286,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Trump is a bully who has steamrolled over others his whole life.

If Democrats let him get away with this, what's to keep him from doing this again in March when the debt ceiling is reached?

Trump clearly owns McConnell and the Senate Republicans. Now he is trying to own the House Democrats. Ain't going to happen.

BTW, what happened to Melania's anti-bullying campaign? She's been awfully quiet lately.
How ironic that is considering she is married to one of the biggest bullies on the face of this Earth.

Poll needed another option to separate the two parties. I'm clearly on the Democrats side and hope they hold firm. Also on their side when they say there are better and cheaper ways to strengthen security than his silly wall idea.

The environment and healthcare are national emergencies, not this. What happened to his promise for the best healthcare ever, remember? The lazy buffoon couldn't negotiate his way out of a wet paper bag. He had the House for two years and couldn't get it done.

I hope he gets his next month but no matter what comes out I'm convinced his base will never leave him. As much as I can't stand Mike Pence I think he will be an improvement.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:40 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I struggle with this, honestly. Trump has manufactured a crisis where none existed. There was no reason for the problems of immigration to be raised to this level compared to the many pressing issues facing this country. But the dude has the country over a barrel. And so, here we are over the barrel just the same.
I hear a lot of people on the left saying this. But perhaps it is about time someone treated it as a crisis. It has been treated as “no big deal” for decades. Maybe if someone treated it as a crisis 40 years ago, we wouldn’t have 20-30 million illegal aliens running around the country now.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:44 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,929,182 times
Of course they should but you have to realize that the "C" word is not in Trump's vocabulary.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:44 AM

There is no upside to Pelosi and the Democrats giving in to Trump.

Trump is playing a losing hand, and is just trying desperately to stay at the table.

This is all a distraction from the legal problems he's facing. He's hired a bunch of new lawyers. Reportedly several of them are more competent that the current bunch.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:46 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Trump DID compromise. First he asked for $5.7 bil wall, then asked for $2.4bil wall, then asked for $5.7bil steel fence. At this point, Congress owns the shutdown.
None of which will pay for a $25 billion dollar wall, which is what the estimate is to build the entire thing. It will pay for a little bit and leave a huge gap. A wall isn't effective unless it encompasses the entire border of something. Even then, it's less effective than more modern means. And also, contractors have a habit of underestimating their cost of a project. $25 billion was the low estimate. It would probably cost far more than that to build the whole thing.

Besides, Trump changes his mind every five seconds. What if he changes his mind when it's time for the next budget bill to be passed and demands $30 or $100 billion more or else? The country should not be held hostage by this selfish wishy-washy liar. More importantly, the majority of the country and Congress do not want it. He should not be forcing his wishes on us by making federal workers work for free.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Of course they should but you have to realize that the "C" word is not in Trump's vocabulary.
Oh, I don't know. He might not know how to spell it, but I bet it's there.

He undoubtedly uses it while "renegotiating" contracts with vendors. That's his term for when he signs a contract, they do the work, and he tells them he's not going to pay. So they reach a "compromise" where they get paid a percentage of what he owes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies