Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 10:29 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,699,244 times

Advertisements

She could have worked and then donated the money she earned to the poor. Then it is not work since she didn’t receive pay for it.

It’s not a sin to work on Sundays/Sabbath. Pastors and Rabbis do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2020, 12:09 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,950,648 times
Maybe we should go back to the days when ALL the stores and restaurants were closed on Sunday. There were laws preventing them from being open.

Old 02-25-2020, 12:50 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,022,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Its not Christianity under attack its private property rights and freedom of association.
Unless there is a freely negotiated contract stating otherwise between the principles, it is perfectly within the rights of the employer to terminate the employee without penalty at any time for any reason.. And likewise it is within the right of the employee to terminate the agreement without penalty at any time, for any reason.
Unless the employer is terminating for something that is protected by law...

Old 02-25-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
It was a jury that awarded it, not a judge. It was only symbolic. The cap on punitive damages is only $300K, so this woman will get that, minus $100K for her attorney.
Usually the loser has to pay the winner’s legal fees...

Old 02-25-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
So? If the job requires an employee to work Sundays, than maybe she shouldn't have applied. Religion shouldn't be a protected class because it is a matter of choice, unlike race, color, sex and national origin, and she shouldn't be entitled to special treatment because of her beliefs.
What if the employer didn’t hire because she was a Christian?...Is that his right?...

Old 02-25-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Regardless of what the law says I find this absurd, if you can accommodate the employee fantastic. If you can't that should be their problem. I have friend who is welder. He's typically working far from home, they get room accommodations and meals. When he goes to job he might be there two weeks and they work 10 to 12 hours a day every day. These are typically time sensitive jobs that needed to be completed yesterday. He gets substantial compensation for this and another benefit is weeks off in a row. It's great job if that's your thing but it would be impossible to accommodate someone's religious needs especially where the days off are concerned.
And they would have to prove the inconvenience...

Old 02-25-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
This is BS. She should not have been rewarded a single cent. As a dishwasher, I guarantee that she knew the employer would ask her to work weekends, (usually when hotels/restaurants are the busiest), but she still agreed to the job. They should have laughed her out of court. "I can't work Sundays because I go to church" is not "discrimination" due to religion.

And no, I don't bash on Christians. My mom is a Christian, so rather than be an arse about it, I try to understand how they see things - even if I think I'll never fully understand. This isn't me piling on the "screw the Christians" bandwagon that so many seem to enjoy doing, it's a simple fact of how employment works.

If I had known that's all it took to get a payday, I should have tried it years ago. I can easily fake being a Christian since I was forced to go to church as a kid. I wonder if I'd be happy with myself if I had done something this phony. Yeah, okay, she got some money - but she's a damn liar. If she's a true Christian, she needs to be fearing God right now for her lies that cost people a LOT of money.

Same. They can't discriminate based on religion, but where does it say that they have to accommodate?. If someone tells me that they can't come in on a certain day, it doesn't matter to me why that is, it's the fact that I can't rely on them if there's a shortage, if someone doesn't come in when they are supposed to, if it's the busiest season and we need all hands on deck, etc. Discrimination means if you say, "I'm not hiring you because you're a Christian" is not allowed. But it does NOT mean, "You can't work on Sundays - oh, because of church" means you have to hire them. It doesn't matter why they can't come in, what matters is that they can't come in. I would never have hired her in the first place.
Right here>>> https://www.aauw.org/what-we-do/lega...ork/title-vii/

Old 02-25-2020, 01:31 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,527,920 times
I’m betting they told her that they cannot give her every Sunday off, anyone in the hospitality industry knows that the weekends/Summer time are the do busiest times.
This has nothing to do with her beliefs she could of left and found another job.
I call B.S. she waited TEN years to sue???

Old 02-25-2020, 01:42 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,831,809 times
Doesn't seem very "Christian" to sue someone for losing a job for more money than you could have ever made in 10 lifetimes of working at the job in question.

Actually

I take it back, that is entirely consistent with my experiences with American Christianity. Carry on.

Old 02-25-2020, 01:49 PM

45,203 posts, read 26,424,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Unless the employer is terminating for something that is protected by law...
Which the govt has no legitimacy to weigh in on or take sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies