Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 10:38 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,073,434 times

Advertisements

Was her lawyer just really good at picking greedy jurors then or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 10:44 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Of course you can’t. Those pesky values like being accountable for your own actions and thinking about your behavior and how it affects others. I can see how you can’t stand that.
I don’t subscribe to the slave master’s religion. Sorry.

If I have a God, he’d better be black.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:04 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,303,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Don't take a job that requires you to work on whatever special days you decide you need to have. Imagine if this lady was a healthcare worker or first responder, etc.
It helps to read the article. She was accommodated for 6 years after which a new manager changed that. By accommodating for 6 years the business showed a willingness and ability to accommodate. That was their undoing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Did you feel the same way about the cake baker?
The two cases are not remotely similar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
So now, every restaurant and hotel worker (listening Trump?) will have to be allowed to have Sunday off or paid a few mill?
If the person is hired with the company agreeing to an accommodation, then it is at their own peril that they change their minds later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
New question on applications--is there anything preventing you from working on specific days?
That ISN'T a new question; lots of employment applications ask about specific days and shifts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Really? I don't think so. I also don't want Muslims being awareded millions for having to work on Fridays, or for not being allowed to wear their headscarves when the job clearly has a uniform.
That is all part of the interview process and the employment agreement. Muslims ARE suing their employers to be allowed to pray up to 8 times a day. Those cases are working their way through the courts. Don't even get me started on lactating women...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I don't want Mormans to sue because their employer won't insure four wives
If plural marriage becomes legal, the employer will have no choice, but to insure the women, just like many employers have been forced to cover same sex partners, despite religious objections.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I don't believe employers should be required to accommodate employees religious beliefs.
I don't believe employers should be required to accommodate employees gender. I don't believe employers should be required to accommodate employees age. I don't believe employers should be required to accommodate employees race.

See how that works?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I still don't understand why the judge awarded her 21 million. I mean so if not working Sundays caused her to only work say 32 hours a week instead of 40, for years, does that actually equate to 21 million of loss wages?
Quote:
But how is 21 million dollars a 'reasonable accomodation'? It sounds like it's too much over reasonable, unless I am wrong?
Quote:
Oh sorry, my mistake. Why didn't the jury feel that 21 million was just too much and overkill?
It helps to read the article.
Juries are not told before deliberations and awards that there is a cap on awards. High punitive awards are designed to send a message to the respondent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
So? If the job requires an employee to work Sundays, than maybe she shouldn't have applied.
She was upfront with the employer and they were willing to hire her and accommodate her for many years. If the employer had said. "we can't guarantee Sundays off", and she agreed to take the job anyway, it would have been her issue, not theirs. Conrad Hotels made a monumental error, actually MANY of them in this case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Regardless of what the law says I find this absurd, if you can accommodate the employee fantastic. If you can't that should be their problem.
The trouble is, the employer was able to easily accommodate the employee for many years. There was no good reason to stop the accommodation.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:53 AM

30,259 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...r-work-n959401

She will only receive a fraction of that amount, but still quite a bit.

Who says Christianity is under attack?
This is BS. She should not have been rewarded a single cent. As a dishwasher, I guarantee that she knew the employer would ask her to work weekends, (usually when hotels/restaurants are the busiest), but she still agreed to the job. They should have laughed her out of court. "I can't work Sundays because I go to church" is not "discrimination" due to religion.

And no, I don't bash on Christians. My mom is a Christian, so rather than be an arse about it, I try to understand how they see things - even if I think I'll never fully understand. This isn't me piling on the "screw the Christians" bandwagon that so many seem to enjoy doing, it's a simple fact of how employment works.

If I had known that's all it took to get a payday, I should have tried it years ago. I can easily fake being a Christian since I was forced to go to church as a kid. I wonder if I'd be happy with myself if I had done something this phony. Yeah, okay, she got some money - but she's a damn liar. If she's a true Christian, she needs to be fearing God right now for her lies that cost people a LOT of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I don't believe employers should be required to accommodate employees religious beliefs.
Same. They can't discriminate based on religion, but where does it say that they have to accommodate? If someone tells me that they can't come in on a certain day, it doesn't matter to me why that is, it's the fact that I can't rely on them if there's a shortage, if someone doesn't come in when they are supposed to, if it's the busiest season and we need all hands on deck, etc. Discrimination means if you say, "I'm not hiring you because you're a Christian" is not allowed. But it does NOT mean, "You can't work on Sundays - oh, because of church" means you have to hire them. It doesn't matter why they can't come in, what matters is that they can't come in. I would never have hired her in the first place.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:00 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,498,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
This is BS. She should not have been rewarded a single cent. As a dishwasher, I guarantee that she knew the employer would ask her to work weekends, (usually when hotels/restaurants are the busiest), but she still agreed to the job. They should have laughed her out of court.

And no, I don't bash on Christians. My mom is a Christian, so rather than be an arse about it, I try to understand how they see things - even if I think I'll never fully understand. This isn't me piling on the "screw the Christians" bandwagon that so many seem to enjoy doing, it's a simple fact of how employment works.

If I had known that's all it took to get a payday, I should have tried it years ago. I can easily fake being a Christian since I was forced to go to church as a kid. I wonder if I'd be happy with myself if I had done something this phony. Yeah, okay, she got some money - but she's a damn liar. If she's a true Christian, she needs to be fearing God right now for her lies that cost people a LOT of money.

Same. They can't discriminate based on religion, but where does it say that they have to accommodate? If someone tells me that they can't come in on a certain day, it doesn't matter to me why that is, it's the fact that I can't rely on them if there's a shortage, if someone doesn't come in when they are supposed to, if it's the busiest season and we need all hands on deck, etc. Discrimination means if you say, "I'm not hiring you because you're a Christian" is not allowed. But it does NOT mean, "You can't work on Sundays - oh, because of church" means you have to hire them.
Seriously? Your average Christian would explain it away with the "God works in mysterious ways" catchall. Same way they justify voting for such a sinner as Trump.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:05 PM

30,259 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Seriously? Your average Christian would explain it away with the "God works in mysterious ways" catchall. Same way they justify voting for such a sinner as Trump.
What some people "say" doesn't mean anything.

None of that has a thing to do with voting for Trump.

Pack up the drive by insults and try to have an actual discussion instead.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:07 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,498,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
What some people "say" doesn't mean anything.

None of that has a thing to do with voting for Trump.

Pack up the drive by insults and try to have an actual discussion instead.
I am. That is what many Christians say and do. They use "Gods will" to make things fit.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:15 PM

7,825 posts, read 4,568,735 times
I wonder how this squares with everyone's opinion about pharmacists refusing to dispense certain drug and medications due to their religious beliefs?

Old 01-17-2019, 12:18 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don’t subscribe to the slave master’s religion. Sorry.

If I have a God, he’d better be black.
Wow LOL

Old 01-17-2019, 12:19 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,585,685 times
yet another winner of the ghetto lottery
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies