Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 10:02 AM

18,472 posts, read 15,262,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Oh sorry, my mistake. Why didn't the jury feel that 21 million was just too much and overkill?
Juries often act with emotion instead of logic. They are just regular people, who put themselves in the shoes of the individual, and often consider the corporation to have endless pockets, so “nobody is really being harmed” by their decision. Plus they have the hopes of one day winning the lottery too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 10:03 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,957,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
per the article--

. . . she informed her employer from the beginning of her employment that she could not work Sundays because of her religious beliefs.
So? If the job requires an employee to work Sundays, than maybe she shouldn't have applied. Religion shouldn't be a protected class because it is a matter of choice, unlike race, color, sex and national origin, and she shouldn't be entitled to special treatment because of her beliefs.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:05 AM

1,991 posts, read 901,694 times
Using the same logic about Federal Employees I’ve seen posted by the righties and libertarians on here, if she was being treated unfairly, she should have just quit her job and gotten another one. There were probably too many dishwashers on the payroll as it was. Right?

Old 01-17-2019, 10:06 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Good catch AguaDulce.

The obligation to make reasonable accommodation also extends to religious holy days or events. Years ago I came upon an employer who permitted Native Americans to be absent for the purpose of attending a pow-wow viewing it as a religious observance.

Regardless of what the law says I find this absurd, if you can accommodate the employee fantastic. If you can't that should be their problem. I have friend who is welder. He's typically working far from home, they get room accommodations and meals. When he goes to job he might be there two weeks and they work 10 to 12 hours a day every day. These are typically time sensitive jobs that needed to be completed yesterday. He gets substantial compensation for this and another benefit is weeks off in a row. It's great job if that's your thing but it would be impossible to accommodate someone's religious needs especially where the days off are concerned.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:07 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,957,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
I wish her a happy retirement.
She ought to put her money where her mouth is and donate that money to charity.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:10 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,500,497 times
If she follows standard tithing some church just made 2.1 million.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:12 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
....she should have just quit her job and gotten another one.

This "righty" would agree with you. As I already mentioned the only justification I ca see for something like this is if there was pattern of them scheduling her Sundays outside the norm of other people's schedule.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:19 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,099,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
So? If the job requires an employee to work Sundays, than maybe she shouldn't have applied. Religion shouldn't be a protected class because it is a matter of choice, unlike race, color, sex and national origin, and she shouldn't be entitled to special treatment because of her beliefs.
Hope this helps:

In 2009, she alleges the hotel scheduled her to work on a Sunday, according to the lawsuit. She says she told her employer she would have to resign, but in an effort to persuade her not to quit, they accommodated her request until 2015.

Sometime in 2015, the kitchen manager at the Conrad Miami, "demanded" Pierre work Sundays, the lawsuit states and for a short time allowed her to swap shifts with other coworkers to have the day off.

On March 31, 2016, Pierre says she was fired for alleged misconduct, negligence and “unexcused absences,” according to the lawsuit.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
If she follows standard tithing some church just made 2.1 million.
She netted about $200,000, per the article.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
She ought to put her money where her mouth is and donate that money to charity.
She is a serious Christian. I don't doubt that she will donate a portion. She is out of a job, though, so she will need some of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies