Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2019, 11:06 AM

23,744 posts, read 17,414,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
What kind of budget proposal is "give me $5.7 billion and I'll tell you later how I'll spend it"?

Is this how things operate in your household? Hey, Dad, give me $500 quick - I'll tell you what for later.
what kind of people????????

Do the infamous words, 'we have to pass it to find out what is in it" ring a bell?

If not that would be Pelosi issuing one of her most infamous quotes to a liberals and democrats who had no issue being treated like little children being told, shut up, sit down, and I will tell you what is good for you.

Why heck the democrats supported more money for the wall in the past and no one had a detailed proposed expenditure on which to base their approval.

Obama gave Iran the greatest exporter of terrorism 150 billion dollars without any clue as to how it would be used. Democrats trust despotic regimes like Russia and putin by selling them 20% of out uranium supply, secretly signing a permit to allow them to remove that uranium from the country. No clue what Russia was going to do with that uranium, yet Obama handed it over.

Hillary lost, dems on the trail of political revenge turned personal. when pursuing revenge, first dig two graves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 11:07 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,645,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
He'll make the speech at her invitation or not, he'll make the speech with her present or not, he'll make the speech even if every democrat in DC fails to show up. President Trump has proven that he doesn't GAF about what democrats want and I couldn't agree with him more.
What he WON'T do is make the speech in the halls of Congress.

Perhaps he can rent out Burger King or something.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:08 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,615,867 times
Quote:
Actually the exact quote is “We have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it”. Please keep all your opinions out of it, she said it and she was specifically talking about Obamacare. You being honest for a change would make me happy.
Yes, she was talking about Obamacare. The context was an address to the National Association of Counties’ annual Legislative Conference, where she said that "we [Congress] need to pass the bill so that you [the public] can find out what is in it."

I know people love to cherrypick sound-bites, but here is the whole quote, in context and addressing the public audience (not Congressional Republicans).

Quote:
We have to do this in partnership, and I wanted to bring you up to date on where we see it from here. The final health care legislation that will soon be passed by Congress will deliver successful reform at the local level. It will offer paid for investments that will improve health care services and coverage for millions more Americans. It will make significant investments in innovation, prevention, wellness and offer robust support for public health infrastructure. It will dramatically expand investments into community health centers. That means a dramatic expansion in the number of patients community health centers can see and ultimately healthier communities. Our bill will significantly reduce uncompensated care for hospitals.

You’ve heard about the controversies within the bill, the process about the bill, one or the other. But I don’t know if you have heard that it is legislation for the future, not just about health care for America, but about a healthier America, where preventive care is not something that you have to pay a deductible for or out of pocket. Prevention, prevention, prevention–it’s about diet, not diabetes. It’s going to be very, very exciting.

But we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
The full text of the ACA was publicly available for months before it was voted on. You are a fool if you believe Congressional Republicans didn't know the specific contents of the bill prior to the vote. She was telling the public that Congress had to pass the ACA in order for the public to see its benefits.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:09 AM

3,321 posts, read 1,109,354 times
Quote:
Actually the exact quote is “We have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it”. Please keep all your opinions out of it, she said it and she was specifically talking about Obamacare. You being honest for a change would make me happy.
Yet you keep ignoring the context; it’s not the least bit ironic that you’re telling someone else to “keep their opinions out of it”.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:11 AM

14,887 posts, read 10,088,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
Yet you keep ignoring the context; it’s not the least bit ironic that you’re telling someone else to “keep their opinions out of itâ€.
I'm not ignoring the context, if the details were readily available to the American people why did she say that?

Old 01-18-2019, 11:11 AM

11,403 posts, read 4,115,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
WHO CARES? Those 7 Republicans shouldn't have been going over there either. In these days of instantaneous communications there are much better, more efficient and cheaper ways to accomplish this stuff. Absolutely zero reason to be spending taxpayers dollars for these folks to globetrot around the world.
the delegation was going to meet with troops in Afghanistan and then meet with NATO officials....

But trump canceled the trip, saying congressmen and women shouldn't be taking a military flight during a shutdown.

Then, 5 hours later, Trump's wife Melania flew on a military plane to his Mar A Lago golf resort in Florida for a vacation.

Have you got any opinion on that?

https://twitter.com/HuffPost/status/1086188803000356864

Old 01-18-2019, 11:13 AM

3,321 posts, read 1,109,354 times
Quote:
I'm not ignoring the context, if the details were readily available to the American people why did she say that?
Provide a link that the entirety of the details “were available to the American people” for the specific bill that she was referring to.

Last edited by subaru5555; 01-18-2019 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: Clarification.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:17 AM

8,934 posts, read 5,422,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
How ironic.

Yes, elections do have consequences. And the dems, are, in fact, calling the shots.
Well, it would seem one of their shots failed to get off the ground.

Their leader can now concentrate on negotiating the legislation to reopen the government.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:19 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,615,867 times
Quote:
She was referring to the benefits of the bill, not the content. Its pretty clear if you can read critically and in context.

In view of the fact that the text itself was publicly available for months, her comment that Congress had to pass the bill so the American public could find out what benefits were in it is fundamentally different than asking for funding for a vague project with general unspecified plans and no details, no budget justification, no cost-benefit analysis, and no feasibility studies performed (e.g., the wall).

Last edited by TEPLimey; 01-18-2019 at 11:27 AM..

Old 01-18-2019, 11:19 AM

2,438 posts, read 3,014,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Right after she made this announcement, Secret Service immediately said they are fully prepared and capable of providing security for the speech.
Of course they said that and I'm sure it's true, but the fact remains that they aren't getting paid. Why give them extra work when they aren't even getting paid for it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies