Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 06:53 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Isn't 1/64th enough to be on the Cherokee rolls? (That's an insider joke. Never mind...)

Oh, so she never said "I know about discrimination, because I"m (insert fraction here) Native American"? Thank you for clarifying that. I didn't think she said it.

And from what I understand, she never made any claim verbally. She checked off a box as a college student or job applicant. The whole thing has been blown out of proportion by You Know Whom, and his ilk, who keep harping on it. I wonder why they keep harping on it? Could it be, that they think she'd be tough competition, so they're grasping at straws to try to undermine her?

This, from someone who refused to release his income tax statement for scrutiny, when running for Prez, and who had scads of other scandals to his name, before even taking the oath of office. Is this the Teflon-coated President, redux? Maybe we should focus on that, instead of the one flimsy straw the Prez (and his ilk) came up with to knock Warren with. Ya think, maybe?
She wrote (her own handwriting) "American Indian" as her race on her State Bar of Texas Registration Card (the link includes a copy of that registration card:

https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...form/23663078/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 07:50 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Wow, haven't checked this thread in a while. It's gone the way of all CA forum threads, though ha ha.

To Ruth's post a few pages back worrying that Kamala wants to get rid of private healthcare, no, that's not it. There will always be a market for private healthcare for people who can afford it, as someone else mentioned. She's just talking about a basic healthcare for everyone. She's not going to tell people who can afford to pay expensive doctors that they can't.

I suppose this is what the healthcare and big pharm company propaganda will say, though, to try and scare Americans into being against it.

But, for anyone who has ever had Kaiser plans as well as Blue Cross plans, you have probably learned that having lots of choices isn't always what the sales pitch promised you. Sure, you get to go to a bunch of different clinics, where you have lots of choices, but then you get bills from a bunch of different clinics that were a different amount than they told you it would be, and they tell you to talk to your insurance company, and your insurance company tells you to duke it out with the clinic or hospital you went to, and you end up with a bunch of medical bills you never expected.

Now, if you had Kaiser, none of that would happen. You pay your co-pay. That's it. No surprises after the fact.

So, this is basically what we would have. Your no muss, no fuss healthcare plan with no surprises. And for anyone who decides they want to gamble on the private insurance plans or just pay the whole bill out of pocket, they can do that.

But, I have been there and I just really shake my head when I tell people they really should choose Kaiser if their employer offers it for all of the above reasons, but they repeat the sales pitch they got in the orientation meeting about how great it is to have a huge network of providers they can choose from. They think having all of these options will equal better care.

And then they also learn that the deductible doesn't get whittled down by all of their co-pays that don't count against their deductible.

I just had this conversation with two different immigrant techies who were complaining about the mystery bills they got and were promised they wouldn't get, and when I asked if Kaiser was an option, they gave me the whole sales pitch about having options, which just resulted in hundreds of dollars in unexpected bills from different clinics.

Plus, sometimes Blue Cross will approve a procedure, you get it done, and then they change their mind after the fact and send you a bill.

And what happens is, people just end up paying these bills because they don't want their credit ruined, like my young friends. Or, if it's bad enough, they end up filing bankruptcy to get rid of them - if they can.

Anyway, I wish Kaiser accepted Medi-Cal. I get free healthcare through our county system, which is good care. But, I actually really like Kaiser. They are more about preventative health and wellness, because they want to keep costs down. If they can help you stay healthy, that's where they are able to create revenue to pay for better doctors and equipment, etc. - instead of making profits off of sick people. Kaiser is non-profit. Their model is like universal healthcare in other countries where they actually want you to be healthy, because there's no profit in keeping you sick.

Which, of course, is why health insurance companies and big pharm will fight universal healthcare with all they've got.

I think it's going to happen eventually. We're slowly working towards it.

On 1/28/19 at her CNN event, Harris proposed eliminating private health insurance ("Lets get rid of all of that. Let's Transfer on") in favor of 'Medicare for all'.

As the furor grew, the next day (Tuesday 1/29/19) one of her advisors signaled that she would also be open to more moderate health reform plans that would preserve the industry.

Putting her finger up to see which way the wind blows.

Some people will be willing to trust her on this issue, and others....with valid skepticism, given the above...won't.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:56 AM

21,738 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Interesting.

The first eight words that popped into my head after reading Ruth's post (but before reading yours above) were:

"But he does have a sense of humor"
The more extreme a person’s ideologies ... the less likely they are to find my humor. Which, naturally, increase my own amusement ... and often that of others involved in any exchange

Old 03-02-2019, 12:19 PM

1,336 posts, read 928,323 times
I am still laughing at Kamala being made to look immature and most not ready for primetime with her very premature Jussy comments. You'd think as someone with presumably some law training, she'd know better to wait for the facts instead of relying on CNN's Don Lemon.

You can scratch her off the list.

I think the debate of the century is either Trump vs Warren, or even better, Trump vs AOC.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:35 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
I am still laughing at Kamala being made to look immature and most not ready for primetime with her very premature Jussy comments. You'd think as someone with presumably some law training, she'd know better to wait for the facts instead of relying on CNN's Don Lemon.

You can scratch her off the list.

I think the debate of the century is either Trump vs Warren, or even better, Trump vs AOC.
Sorry but a single inconsequential non-issue doesnt disqualify Kamala Harris and her resume. That's silly.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:40 PM

For you and others, nothing would, but for others such an obvious and silly lapse of judgement will be crucial.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
For you and others, nothing would
Oh to the contrary:
1 if she didnt release her taxes that would be a deal breaker for me. period.

2 if there was evidence or even whispers that she was colluding with a foreign power to influence the election, that would be a deal breaker for me, period.

3. if there was evidence or even whispers that her business was crooked, didnt pay contractors, filed for bankruptcy several times and evaded taxes, that would be a deal breaker for me, period.

4. if she used her foundation as a personal slush fund that would be a deal breaker for me, period.

5. if she created a fake university and swindled millioms from thousands of low income folks, that would be a deal breaker for me, period.

6. if she constantly and publically defended foreign dictators while denying the findings of our own intelligence and allies, that would be a deal breaker for me, period.

7. if she shamelessly pandered white nationalists, racists, xenophobes that would be a deal breaker for me, period.

8. if a dozen members of her campaign and administration were charged, indicted, confessed and will be serving jail time for various crimes, that would be a deal breaker for me, period.

I could go on and on.

Quote:
but for others such an obvious and silly lapse of judgement will be crucial.
In light of real things to object, this is silly indeed-not to mention rather petty.

lol

Old 03-02-2019, 01:00 PM

21,738 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Oh to the contrary:
1 if she didnt release her taxes that would be a deal breaker for me. period.

2 if there was evidence or even whispers that she was colluding with a foreign power to influence the election, that would be a deal breaker for me, period.

3. if there was evidence or even whispers that her business was crooked, didnt pay contractors, filed for bankruptcy several times and evaded taxes, that would be a deal breaker for me, period.

4. if she used her foundation as a personal slush fund that would be a deal breaker for me, period.

5. if she created a fake university and swindled millioms from thousands of low income folks, that would be a deal breaker for me, period.

6. if she constantly and publically defended foreign dictators while denying the findings of our own intelligence and allies, that would be a deal breaker for me, period.

7. if she shamelessly pandered white nationalists, racists, xenophobes that would be a deal breaker for me, period.

8. if a dozen members of her campaign and administration were charged, indicted, confessed and will be serving jail time for various crimes, that would be a deal breaker for me, period.

I could go on and on.

In light of real things to object, this is silly indeed-not to mention rather petty.

lol
Lmmfao ... rep button broken ...

Old 03-02-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
+1 yeah im just saying. They do NOT want to go there. Donald Trump is a travesty.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Totally agreed with you once again.... Lmmfao ... rep button broken !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies