Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Northam Resign?
Yes, he clearly has a problem and has lost credibility 98 71.53%
No, Democrat leaders in VA are right, he has a great current track record that speaks more than his past 39 28.47%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 12:39 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,710,280 times

Advertisements

To the OP, there was a time in the 1980s, I'd say where people knew that dressing in traditional "blackface" was not a good thing. Those would be people dressing like "Little Black Sambo" or a minstral performer. Something derogatory. I am only torn myself about people who did it back in that time who were doing it because they admired a black performer. Hence, in the late 70s and early 1980s, I did see a lot of Halloween costumes of Jimi Hendrix, Michael Jackson, Prince. Nobody made their face totally black, but they did use dark makeup. And totally did it for admiration of the performer. But yeah, if their photos came out today, maybe they would be fired depending on where they worked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 12:45 PM

11,173 posts, read 8,029,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Not all black-face forms are intended to be racist. Ganguro, per its Wikipedia entry, "is an alternative fashion trend among young Japanese women that started in the mid-1990s, distinguished by a dark tan and contrasting make-up liberally applied by fashionistas." However, I would recommend not doing this fashion trend in the U.S. given the bad history of black-face here.
Maybe not, but in the example given ( the photo) it’s a little hard to believe that wasn’t intended to be racist when the guy next to him is dressed in a KKK outfit..... just sayin.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:50 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,829,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Really, for a politician to do red or black face if white hch.... is STUPID. A Democrat its like unbelievably STUPID His career seems over in Politics as a Democrat.
Pretty much. Also, Northam looks plenty old enough to have known what blackface is/was.

Does anyone actually believe his denial?

Old 02-03-2019, 12:50 PM

15,715 posts, read 9,585,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I would just hate to see a white person get destroyed if they had a photo pop up & they really had no idea about the racial impact of what they did at the time.
He was 25 years old and in medical school. Are you also saying he didn't know a guy in full KKK garb was offensive?

Old 02-03-2019, 12:51 PM

59,500 posts, read 27,625,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I will admit that I've known that the KKK was a bad symbol/type of people since I was in elementary school. But honestly, I didn't even know what blackface was until I got older. I don't even remember but I'd say I was out of high school. Probably once I got on the internet & read about it.

I can understand why it's not right but I do think that if I didn't know what it was through my teenage years. Is this something that would be very subjective on if a photo pops up in the future of a politician/celebrity years from now of something they did young?

For the record I'm not defending the governor. Even if I was willing to believe it wasn't him in the picture you're assuming that nobody ever reached out to him about it & then you realize his nick name in the year book too. Just seems he's dug himself in a huge hole here.

I would just hate to see a white person get destroyed if they had a photo pop up & they really had no idea about the racial impact of what they did at the time.
Many things were acceptable 30-40 year ago by most of society that are not acceptable today.

I just want to point out Robert Byrd DEM senator from WVA, WAS a KKK LEADER, back in the 50's I believe.

He "changed his ways" and the dems and the NAACP ACCEPTED his "change of heart".

Of course they did NOT accept Strom Thurmond's "change of heat", even though he NEVER belonged to the Klan.

We see the hypocrisy on her all the time.

Kinda' reminds of the story a few years back where a "lynching" rope was found on some tree at a college and the usual black hustlers went wild. Black people were shown on TV about how outraged they are and "offended". There was the usual 24/7 "news" coverage about it.

Lo and behold t was found out that BLACK students did it and the "news" station all of a sudden quit reporting on it.

There was story recently where ant black graffiti was found in some school. A repeat of the 1st strory above.

All hell breaks lose and alll are "offended" UNTIL it is fond out it is BLACKS doing it.

If I started using "colored people" instead of blacks, I WILL be called out a LOT.

We NEVER hear a word about the NAACP. The National Association for the Advancement of COLORED People.

Where is the SAME outrage toward them about CHANGING THEIR NAME?

We hear about statues being torn down, pictures being removed, schools changing THEIR names because some COLORED person was "offended"

I am offended by the name NAACP.

I am NOT a dem but, I think what the are trying to do TODAY on something that happened decades ago is in itself shameful and offensive.

Last edited by Quick Enough; 02-03-2019 at 01:02 PM..

Old 02-03-2019, 12:52 PM

15,715 posts, read 9,585,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Really, is anyone even slightly offended? I couldn’t care less.
Yes, some people are offended and they have as much right to be offended as you do to your opinion.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:52 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,710,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Pretty much. Also, Northam looks plenty old enough to have known what blackface is/was.

Does anyone actually believe his denial?
His denial seems implausible but I admit that I am flummoxed by this assertion that there is an investigation into this which will include facial recognition software as well as (I'm sure) interviews of his classmates. If he knew he was one of those people in that picture, it would not serve him well to do that. In fact, if it confirms it is him his disgrace will be tenfold. So, I am perplexed on that part.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:54 PM

3,812 posts, read 4,720,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
He was 25 years old and in medical school. Are you also saying he didn't know a guy in full KKK garb was offensive?

You are way misunderstanding what I meant. At no point did I say anything about the KKK or even Northam.

I'm saying for example. Let's say 10 years ago a teenage boy dressed blackface for a halloween party pretending to be an athlete he loves. He has no idea about blackface. Fast forward 30 years he's running for office & people want to say he's a racist because of it.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:55 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,944,979 times
I’m not going to judge anyone, short of rape or murder, for something they did thirty five years ago.

Old 02-03-2019, 01:00 PM

3,730 posts, read 1,775,349 times
Default Northam’s Vivid Memory Blackening Skin To Moonwalk

Maybe he should perform at the Super Bowl’s half time. Talk about one bizarre press conference.

https://www.richmond.com/news/virgin...52424d604.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies