Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Northam Resign?
Yes, he clearly has a problem and has lost credibility 98 71.53%
No, Democrat leaders in VA are right, he has a great current track record that speaks more than his past 39 28.47%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 11:38 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,587,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Personally, I am not too keen on forcing a politician to resign for something stupid and controversial they did 30+ years ago. It's not like he committed a heinous crime or something.

Plus, he apologized for it and that ought to be good enough.
Did he though? I think that's part of the problem. He initially apologized for it. THEN he said it wasn't him in the photo after he apologized for it.

I think people are confused and I also think his press conference yesterday was a complete disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 11:39 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,587,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
At least then unlike Kavanaugh people are relying on facts.

At the same time, I do think stuff done as a youth is not relevant 35 years later, unless it involved political corruption as it occurred.

I abhor racist stuff like what Va gov did, but do not think it should impact unrelated job performance a third of a century later. (I assume he is not working on a minstrel show now.)

Redemption is NOT a political matter IMO.

PS: THat being said, Va pols calling for his head may get their way. The Emmett Tills relatives would understand why.
This is not about Emmet Till and has never been about Emmet Till so your continued reference of him makes no sense in the current matter.

None.

I wouldn't want to be judged by things I did as a young adult either. But, here's the thing ~ I know I would be.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:41 AM

34,132 posts, read 17,194,237 times
If allowed in the poll, I would answer "He shouldn't resign, and when he lost credibility, it is solely because in this witch hunt era, we are looking for excuses on those with different beliefs (Kavanaugh was the 1st victim), instead of judging job performance".

Old 02-03-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

I wouldn't want to be judged by things I did as a young adult either. But, here's the thing ~ I know I would be.
Unless a hypocrite, you should be judged at your present job given your POV. You should confess all your youthful transgression to every co-worker and boss given you think it matters with politicians.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:45 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,762,433 times
Quote:
If allowed in the poll, I would answer "He shouldn't resign, and when he lost credibility, it is solely because in this witch hunt era, we are looking for excuses on those with different beliefs (Kavanaugh was the 1st victim), instead of judging job performance".
Northam accused his republican opponent of being a racist, and he supported the witch hunt against Kav. For those reason and for how he's handled the situation, I'd support his resignation...

Old 02-03-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
Northam accused his republican opponent of being a racist, and he supported the witch hunt against Kav. For those reason and for how he's handled the situation, I'd support his resignation...
That underlined IMO would be a valid reason to support the resignation, but not the college actions themselves.

Witch Hunts are dangerous, and spreading.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:51 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,762,433 times
Quote:
Unless a hypocrite, you should be judged at your present job given your POV. You should confess all your youthful transgression to every co-worker and boss given you think it matters with politicians.
Well Northam ran for public office. If this was know ahead of time, they would not have ran/supported him and he very well may not have had a job to be judged on at all... So yes, those who would not have voted for him or given their political support if they would have had this information should have the right to call for his resignation regardless of his current job performance...

Old 02-03-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
Well Northam ran for public office. If this was know ahead of time, they would not have ran/supported him and he very well may not have had a job to be judged on at all... So yes, those who would not have voted for him or given their political support if they would have had this information should have the right to call for his resignation regardless of his current job performance...
Then all of us who feel as you do should present our employers, and prospective ones when we interview, a list of all of our transgressions, at least from the age when viewed by state as adults (18) on. This should include all times drunk, how we acted, what we did, all times high on anything, same reporting, all flirting that would be construed in office as harassment, with details, etc.

That way, our employer or prospective one has all the facts on us, just like Kavanaugh or Northam.

After all, tens of millions work for Publicly traded corporations. Corps have liability when employees act inappropriately. Give them all facts up front.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:04 PM

11,404 posts, read 4,102,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Not all black-face forms are intended to be racist. Ganguro, per its Wikipedia entry, "is an alternative fashion trend among young Japanese women that started in the mid-1990s, distinguished by a dark tan and contrasting make-up liberally applied by fashionistas." However, I would recommend not doing this fashion trend in the U.S. given the bad history of black-face here.
I agree, and I think it really should be that simple.

A large number of African-Americans are offended by it, so it's probably best not for white people to ever dress up in blackface.

It's a free country so anyone can feel free to go outside in blackface, just know there will be consequences for your actions.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:08 PM

32,833 posts, read 19,538,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I will admit that I've known that the KKK was a bad symbol/type of people since I was in elementary school. But honestly, I didn't even know what blackface was until I got older. I don't even remember but I'd say I was out of high school. Probably once I got on the internet & read about it.

I can understand why it's not right but I do think that if I didn't know what it was through my teenage years. Is this something that would be very subjective on if a photo pops up in the future of a politician/celebrity years from now of something they did young?

For the record I'm not defending the governor. Even if I was willing to believe it wasn't him in the picture you're assuming that nobody ever reached out to him about it & then you realize his nick name in the year book too. Just seems he's dug himself in a huge hole here.

I would just hate to see a white person get destroyed if they had a photo pop up & they really had no idea about the racial impact of what they did at the time.
yes but this "offended" garbage is going too far now

now they are saying, that Mary Poppins during the chin-chinnie-chim-currie song wore black face
-

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/28/m...blackface.html

its getting really ridiculous...this was not black face, it was chimney (coal/soot ) dust...but the fascist liberals always have to have a boogieman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies