Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 10:35 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,636,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
Terror is something that requires contemplation based on logic and experience of life, something that fetuses lack. There is good evidence that most fetuses aren't even conscious during pregnancy. In 2005 Mellor and colleagues in the US showed evidence that the fetus is not conscious during most of the pregnancy. Just because parents plug in Mozart tapes for their fetus, doen't mean fetuses can hear or percieve pain. Up until 20-24 weeks of pregnancy the brain isn't even remotely "wired" to do much of anything beyond basic autonomic functions and reflexes- the foetus is for all purposes alive only in the sense that a tadpole is alive. You do know that an organism can react to noxious stimuli and pain without actually being conscious of it, right?
Read my post......my daughter certainly did react to death, and quite violently too. Whether it could be argued that it was a reflex or not is immaterial.....pain was felt.
Also, I don't believe anyone is trying to say that fetus's are aware of the greater world...how could they be? But this argument against them being sentient beings is like trying to say a tribesman in the Amazon does not comprehend of life outside of his territory, much less of the modern world therefore he is less then human and can be killed at will.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:04 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
That would bother me much less than 18 years of expenses for the child in question. Which costs less, in the long run?
I reiterate. Any response?

Old 04-09-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I reiterate. Any response?
Which costs more morally and ethically?

If you believe in abortion, then hey --- you fund it.
I don't.
I would much rather my tax dollars were spent elsewhere......how about helping seniors afford their medication? Rehabilitation for the disabled as opposed to just ware housing them. Drug rehab and job counseling for felons......maybe give them a viable option to quit the cycle of addiction and crime......there are lots and lots of places my money can go.

And lets not forget.....when Roe v Wade first happend, contraceptives were not fool proof by any measure, and they were difficult to get to boot.
Now they aren't. They are everywhere and they are affordable. PP needs my tax dollars to shoot up a teen full of depo provera? Hey have at it! Abortion isn't the only option out there now to prevent a pregnancy. Not by a long shot.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Which costs more morally and ethically?

If you believe in abortion, then hey --- you fund it.
I don't.
I would much rather my tax dollars were spent elsewhere......how about helping seniors afford their medication? Rehabilitation for the disabled as opposed to just ware housing them. Drug rehab and job counseling for felons......maybe give them a viable option to quit the cycle of addiction and crime......there are lots and lots of places my money can go.

And lets not forget.....when Roe v Wade first happend, contraceptives were not fool proof by any measure, and they were difficult to get to boot.
Now they aren't. They are everywhere and they are affordable. PP needs my tax dollars to shoot up a teen full of depo provera? Hey have at it! Abortion isn't the only option out there now to prevent a pregnancy. Not by a long shot.
So you would rather spend more over the next 18 years, than to spend a little bit today?

Are you Republican? Do you perhaps work for the government? Because that's the response I'd expect from those quarters. Most would rather spend as little as possible.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
So you would rather spend more over the next 18 years, than to spend a little bit today?

Are you Republican? Do you perhaps work for the government? Because that's the response I'd expect from those quarters. Most would rather spend as little as possible.
Am I a Republican? Do I work for the government? What is this, a 9/11 thread? But no on both counts....
I answered your question, but to make it as clear as possible yes, I will pay for eighteen years, but then so will the bio dad. And hey, maybe the mom will actually have a job too! One nevers know.......

Old 04-09-2008, 11:34 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,827,645 times
Quote:

Are you presenting life as a cost-benefit analysis? Any child born to a mother deemed to be unable to support without gov't assistance should be immediately executed??

Old 04-09-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
Are you presenting life as a cost-benefit analysis? Any child born to a mother deemed to be unable to support without gov't assistance should be immediately executed??
Yes...additionally, we should check the mindset of the mother. Why be a child born to parents that DON'T want you? WHY be tortured for 18 years, emotionally and or physically abused for 18 years by one's parents?

Old 04-09-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Yes...additionally, we should check the mindset of the mother. Why be a child born to parents that DON'T want you? WHY be tortured for 18 years, emotionally and or physically abused for 18 years by one's parents?
Yes, God forbid anyone use birth control prior to conception or utilize adoption after birth......

Old 04-09-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Yes, God forbid anyone use birth control prior to conception or utilize adoption after birth......
So why ISN'T that happening? Let us deal with the reality we have, instead of the reality we wish to have.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:42 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,827,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
Grandpa isn't living inside somebody's uterus sucking glucose out of their blood and dumping waste into their bloodstream. If he were, I'd say anybody would be within their rights to excise grandpa.
I love it! More compassionate liberalism. The intake of sugar and excretion of waste justifies killing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies