Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should any exemptions for vaccinations be allowed?
Yes - only religious and medical 5 2.94%
Yes - only medical 62 36.47%
Yes - medical, religious and philosophical 26 15.29%
Yes - only religious 1 0.59%
No exemptions at all. 76 44.71%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 06:29 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I don't remember the word parties, but we did go visit our friends who had measles or chicken pox in the 1950's. Some of the kids called me a "cheater" so maybe they were parties for the kids to catch it? I had both as an infant and was immune to them for life.

When my older daughter was 11 in 1990, her Pediatrician said for her to go over a friend's house so she could catch chicken pox before she got into her teens. Not a party. She told me of someone she knew and I called her Mom, told her what the doctor said, and asked if my daughter could stay over. Her doctor knew there was a vaccine in the works but not approved yet. He thought it better she catch chicken pox before she got any older. Also, let her younger sister catch it from her as well.

Even the 90's was a different world than today, let alone the 50's and 60's.

Agree. No one was terrified 24/7 like they are today. Freaking out, upset that other people make different choices. The 90s were the end of free choice, where people really didn't care what other people did. No one applauded you or held a parade, but they left you alone and went about their own business, and knew that you would treat them the same. There was a quiet form of tolerance for everyone.

Now? If you disagree with whatever talking point is on the approved MSM you are considered a moron, idiot, terrorist, bigot, homophobe, science-denier, woman hating, religious baiting racist. Doesn't matter if your assessment is correct. Doesn't matter if you are indeed 100% CORRECT. If you disagree, no matter what your reasoning, your evidence doesn't matter. People would rather be terrified than use critical thinking skills. People would rather force their views on everyone else, rather then leave people alone. Tolerance means everyone has to agree with YOU.

It's pathetic.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:35 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I don't remember the word parties, but we did go visit our friends who had measles or chicken pox in the 1950's. Some of the kids called me a "cheater" so maybe they were parties for the kids to catch it? I had both as an infant and was immune to them for life.

When my older daughter was 11 in 1990, her Pediatrician said for her to go over a friend's house so she could catch chicken pox before she got into her teens. Not a party. She told me of someone she knew and I called her Mom, told her what the doctor said, and asked if my daughter could stay over. Her doctor knew there was a vaccine in the works but not approved yet. He thought it better she catch chicken pox before she got any older. Also, let her younger sister catch it from her as well.

Even the 90's was a different world than today, let alone the 50's and 60's.
I got chicken pox shortly before the vaccine became widely available and remember friends coming over to get chicken pox from me.

Then the chicken pox spread to my eyes and it was a lot of very scary medical appointments. I still wonder if that's why my vision is SO bad - my parents don't need glasses in their 60s and my brother doesn't have glasses, but I'm in my early 30s and my eyes get worse and worse every year. Even my 87 year old grandmother's prescription is far less severe than mine! I can't even navigate my apartment without my glasses on.

Even worse, I got shingles at 23. I have never been in more pain in my life (and I've had a bone marrow biopsy - you can't numb bone) and to this day still have no feeling on my outer leg from my hip to my knee except for occasional severe pain. I can always develop shingles AGAIN and still have 40 years before I qualify for the vaccine against it.

I'm in complete support for the vaccine. It's easy to say it's no big deal if it *was* no big deal to you, but here I am with relative minimal complications and it still impacts my life.

Measles were serious in times past. One of my uncles is "slow" following brain swelling from measles. Numerous people lost their fertility or hearing as children due to the illness. And yes, kids died.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:51 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I don’t feel like Vaccinations, religion,sexual orientation, should be forced on anyone. Don’t want a vaccination? Don’t get it. If said person gets sick then it’s on them if they don’t that’s on them too.
I don't feel that prayer is working to keep children from getting life threatening illnesses. Lets protect our most vulnerable with vaccinations.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:54 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
For Christians that are opposed to vaccinations, I don't understand why seeing as how they did use medicines and treatments in the Bible though that was obviously not as advanced as our current vaccination technologies.
Thoughts and prayers are just not cutting it for Christians. Their children contract and die of illnesses that could have been prevented by vaccinating them. I thought Christians were pro-life.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:59 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,952 times
ONLY if they have a medical condition or they completely isolate themselves and never plan to be in public. If none of the above then NO. Religious BS or personal beliefs don't cut it.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:09 AM

8,384 posts, read 4,369,703 times
Maybe. If the person claiming such belief:

1 - Agrees to never enroll their child in a public school.
2 - Sign a legally binding agreement that if their child should infect anyone with a disease that is preventable that they will be responsible for all medical treatments as a result including secondary, tertiary, etc. exposure and held liable for any damage up to and including death.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:01 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Anyone who gets a whooping vaccine or tetanus shot - which also contains a whooping cough vaccine although 99% of doctors won't disclose that information -- is a carrier fort he disease and spreads it around.

If you think that being responsible means not spreading disease? Then you are against the whooping cough vaccine. Start picketing. Since you are officially an antivaxxer.
You are totally misinterpreting a study that was done on BABOONS! It's not even known if the findings apply to humans (though they probably do).

Just for you, a "study".
https://cvi.asm.org/content/23/1/47
"We previously showed in our nonhuman primate model that baboons vaccinated with a DTwP vaccine from one manufacturer cleared B. pertussis colonization faster than unvaccinated animals and DTaP-vaccinated animals (23)."

Do you understand what that means? It means the DTaP vaccinated BABOONS did not clear the colonization as quickly WHEN THEY GOT INFECTED. It does NOT mean they became carriers just by getting vaccinated. And that study was done with DTaP, not the Tdap that is given to people over the age of 7.

Here is a good explanation of that study.
http://www.redwineandapplesauce.com/...rtussis-study/

Old 02-07-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Maybe. If the person claiming such belief:

1 - Agrees to never enroll their child in a public school.
2 - Sign a legally binding agreement that if their child should infect anyone with a disease that is preventable that they will be responsible for all medical treatments as a result including secondary, tertiary, etc. exposure and held liable for any damage up to and including death.

Absolutely.

As soon as any doctor and school that demands a vaccination be forced to pay for every injury and illness, especially those who became infected with whooping cough because of someone who was a vaccinated carrier, illness from ineffective vaccines, poor manufacturing practices, delayed visits because doctors were too busy, vaccine shortages from manufacturers, and all other liability for side effects, death, and other illness caused directly, indirectly or spread by others who have received the vaccine.

All payments must come directly from the manufacturer, doctor or school administrators pockets. No taxpayer money or vaccine funding permitted.

Agree to all that? Then we can agree to the other.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You are totally misinterpreting a study that was done on BABOONS! It's not even known if the findings apply to humans (though they probably do).

Just for you, a "study".
https://cvi.asm.org/content/23/1/47
"We previously showed in our nonhuman primate model that baboons vaccinated with a DTwP vaccine from one manufacturer cleared B. pertussis colonization faster than unvaccinated animals and DTaP-vaccinated animals (23)."

Do you understand what that means? It means the DTaP vaccinated BABOONS did not clear the colonization as quickly WHEN THEY GOT INFECTED. It does NOT mean they became carriers just by getting vaccinated. And that study was done with DTaP, not the Tdap that is given to people over the age of 7.

Here is a good explanation of that study.
Making sense out of the baboon pertussis study « Red Wine & Apple Sauce
Still waiting for your stats on how many people are deaf, blind and brain damaged because of measles.

redwineandapplesauce,com?? Really??????

Old 02-07-2019, 08:12 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Still waiting for your stats on how many people are deaf, blind and brain damaged because of measles.

redwineandapplesauce,com?? Really??????
You might try reading it instead of making fun of it (and me). It's sort of like a computer company being named "Apple".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies