Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2019, 06:48 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,168,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
People in many states may see their taxes go up. Those in Minnesota, Ohio, Iowa, and the entire north east depending on location and local property tax rates. I don't like the change it hits people who are just in the upper-middle class hard. They make enough to get taxed hard but not enough to afford tax shelters and fancy accountants like the actual rich. Seems like the wrong target to me.
Yep that’s us, upper middle income, we got screwed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 07:01 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
I always find it amazing how selfish the average American taxpayer is.

All this talk about whether a person got more or less back.....from Deficit which their children and grandchildren will have to pay back..with interest.

In a sane society more posts would care about that - instead, the doubling of the yearly deficit to give (mostly) corporation a bit break...and a little to others...ends up being a contest as to who screwed future generations the most.

Another big deal which won't hit home for another year (when people figure it out) is that charitable deducts aren't deductible for the vast majority of Americans any longer. That is going to hurt charities.

"Donations to charity peaked in 2017, now they're in a downward spiral"

People wonder what is wrong with this country....then they say the direction is wrong. Then they celebrate that they helped break the bank and even the bank for their children.

Sorry, I'm scratching my head......

Also, those with income producing hobbies now have to declare all the income - BUT, they probably can't declare the expenses and costs. So instead of making a 30% profit, you now have to declare an infinite profit (100% of the revenue). That's not helpful to those whose hobbies might grow into a business.

Trump did put billions in breaks for Real Estate Investors tho....again, paid for by the rest of us.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:18 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Could someone tell me why all these people are just finding out their tax situation at the end of January? The information was available last year and there were simulators on the internet to find out how your specific situation would likely end up. GMAB, I have no sympathy for people who do not pay attention to their own crap, no matter which side of the aisle they land on. Besides who wants the Fed Gov to hang onto their money all year just to get a big tax return? The best situation is to get a small one or to pay a small amount.
Agreed. So many simple minded people complain that they got a smaller refund-but aren't bright enough to go look and see what their total tax payment was from one year to the next.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:24 PM

3,319 posts, read 2,341,504 times
In other news, Trump's approval rating is up to 48% today.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:25 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,834,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Multiple supporters of President Donald Trump over the past couple of weeks have taken to Twitter to air their grievances about the president’s signature tax cut plan. Here's one example.

https://twitter.com/973angie/status/1088151062111023104

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/02/tru...gops-tax-plan/

I suspect there is going to be much more of this as more people realize how badly Trump and the GOP screwed the middle class.

I'm sorry about you, but we're just fine. And so are the throngs of middle class workers who no longer have to pay Obama's draconian health insurance mandate penalty.

1. No one screws the middle class like Dems.
2. Right on cue. Now's the time you'll be seeing all those disenchanted "Trump voters" lmao.

We weren't born yesterday.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:26 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post

https://www.seattlepi.com/local/poli...n-13590566.php

Several polls show Trump approval rating around 40 percent ahead of State of the Union

Old 02-05-2019, 07:43 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixlets82 View Post
I actually benefited from the Tax reforms, got an extra 1000$ back on tax refund and gained an extra 200$ per month on my paycheck, so I'm overall pretty happy so far. I plan to pay the last few thousand off on my car note with my refund and have been putting the extra couple of hundred in savings for a family vacation this summer
Good, you're another one adding to the deficit, aka stealing from the Treasury, because of this criminal tax reform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I live in NY - my Federal refund has increased quite a bit while my state refund is lower even tho I have extra taken out of each paycheck for state.
Sounds like you don't itemize and don't benefit from personal exemptions. The reform can work out if you're not paying high state and local taxes.

In the end, the taxpayer - that means all of YOU - have to pay this back.

There is no free lunch.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:46 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
I am dedicating this to Trump voters because I've said this for years now...

https://youtu.be/Uz1Jwyxd4tE

Old 02-05-2019, 08:58 PM

89,035 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
How is it fair to pay tax on taxes?
Taxpayers do so all the time. Hard to believe you don't know that. Finally, those in high tax blue states will have to pay something somewhat closer to their fair share.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:06 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
On what? The fake news Rasmussen poll?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies