Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 06:43 AM

1,711 posts, read 808,760 times

Advertisements

If you use turbotax or some other program, gather 2018 data and plug it into the 2017 version and compare what you totally owe this year and compare what you would have owed if the tax law hadn't changed. That is the only way to tell if you are better or worse off.

In my case, I will have paid about 7600 this year. Using the 2017 version I would have owed 9800. My refund went down about $500 (actually the check I'll have to stroke went up about $500). I'm about $2200 to the good even though I'll owe more come April.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 03:16 PM

43 posts, read 17,503 times
No sympathy from me.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:31 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdriver74 View Post
If you use turbotax or some other program, gather 2018 data and plug it into the 2017 version and compare what you totally owe this year and compare what you would have owed if the tax law hadn't changed. That is the only way to tell if you are better or worse off.

In my case, I will have paid about 7600 this year. Using the 2017 version I would have owed 9800. My refund went down about $500 (actually the check I'll have to stroke went up about $500). I'm about $2200 to the good even though I'll owe more come April.
This is the kind of honest assessment that the OP and many posters here did not want to see.

They just wanted people complaining about their refund size even though they had less taken out of the paycheck which is either a glaring indictment of dishonesty or stupidity.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:48 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
This is the kind of honest assessment that the OP and many posters here did not want to see.

They just wanted people complaining about their refund size even though they had less taken out of the paycheck which is either a glaring indictment of dishonesty or stupidity.
Perhaps if the GOP and president had bothered explaining what was actually in the tax legislation and how it would affect the tax refunds of Americans, it would not have been a blow to people, and perhaps they might have explained that people should increase their withholding.

But they were in such a hurry to shove it through and have their kegger in the Rose Garden, to brag, brag, brag, about how great it was. So that is what the faithful, and apparently a few others, swallowed and believed.

Ok--forget Trump explaining the implications of tax legislation--all he knows is that his cronies and Maralago buds did really well.

But the GOP certainly could have explained it rather than telling people they would all have more money. What they did is totally irresponsible. And if you are going to talk about honesty, we should definitely take a look at how dishonest the GOP was to Americans about the tax legislation.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:05 PM

46,964 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Perhaps if the GOP and president had bothered explaining what was actually in the tax legislation and how it would affect the tax refunds of Americans, it would not have been a blow to people, and perhaps they might have explained that people should increase their withholding.

But the GOP certainly could have explained it rather than telling people they would all have more money. What they did is totally irresponsible. And if you are going to talk about honesty, we should definitely take a look at how dishonest the GOP was to Americans about the tax legislation.
People wanted government to run like a business, and that - quite literally - is what they got.

The IRS was strongly encouraged to lower the withholding under the new legislation and dutifully did so, making for very fine optics. Much like a private company not putting an expense on the books if it can be moved to the next quarterly report.

Well, the next quarter is here - people were expecting a refund and didn't get one, and while there may or may not be a reasonable explanation for that, a lot of voters going to at least feel manipulated.

(To say nothing of the GOP voters who actually got it in the shorts over their deductions being capped. Or the charities who'll lose contributions when fewer people itemize, although they don't vote, I guess.)

Point is, like a business, the government tried to put the best possible spin on the tax reform immediately. It probably paid off well for the midterms. We'll see what happens in 2020.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:24 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
People wanted government to run like a business, and that - quite literally - is what they got.

Point is, like a business, the government tried to put the best possible spin on the tax reform immediately. It probably paid off well for the midterms. We'll see what happens in 2020.
Well, if your business involved heavy debt and loss leaders, you have it right!

I'd say they ran it more like a marketing agency or "free ice cream" shop. No thought of getting closer to paying our way. Notice how few here are mentioning that little matter.

It's all about ME ME ME ME. So they appealed to the little child within people..their selfish nature. That generally doesn't work out because sooner or later the piper will have to be paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies