Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2019, 12:36 PM

45,425 posts, read 60,608,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I find it amazing how the average Obama voter cared not at all about the deficit when Obama doubled it from $9 to $18 T. Not a word.
I have to disagree, the word was "BUSH".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 12:37 PM

89,059 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Let's try it again: average home prices
The list I posted takes average home prices into account.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-06-2019 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 02-06-2019, 12:42 PM

89,059 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Anyone getting a refund needs a new accountant. You are having too much tax taken out thereby giving the govt an interest free loan. I never have any taxes deducted. I wait for Uncle Sam to send me a bill.
Agree 100%. I pay quarterly tax estimates, as required, but I still end up owing a little. No way do I give the Fed Gov an interest free loan.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:43 PM

21,945 posts, read 9,513,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
For some, this made the process much more simple. In all fairness, I don't prepare my own taxes. I don't trust myself to catch everything. Thank goodness my tax lady does that for me.
Not sure how complex your taxes are but I always think unless you have a complex return, it's better to do them yourself. You then learn how taxes work so you make better tax decisions.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:44 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,239,613 times
Quote:
Let's try it again: average home prices (32nd expensive)

So, the houses there are cheap, and although the rate is more or less the same as Texas, the total tax will not be high, unless the house happens to be very expensive. In other words, you will end up with a high tax bill no matter where you live if you choose to live in an expensive house.

Hawaii has the lowest property tax rates, but the homes are expensive.

Texas is not a blue State, but they have very high property tax rates (more than NY or California).

In general, home prices are higher in metro areas, which happen to be the more productive areas in the nation, and they are being punished for it.
The SmartAsset property tax calculator disagrees.

https://smartasset.com/taxes/illinoi...tax-calculator

Old 02-06-2019, 12:45 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Agree 100%. I pay quarterly tax estimates, as required, but I still end up owing a little. No way do I give the Fed Gov an interest free loan.
Neither do I. Never have. First, I need that money through the year and second, I'm disciplined enough to save. It's my money. If anyone's going to earn interest on it, it'll be me. I don't even pay extra to the mortgage company for tax and insurance impound. I pay those myself.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:49 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Not sure how complex your taxes are but I always think unless you have a complex return, it's better to do them yourself. You then learn how taxes work so you make better tax decisions.
It's somewhat complex with losses and fwiw I used to prepare them myself but I was missing a lot of deductions so now I just save the docs and let my brilliant tax lady handle it. Besides, I'm getting a bit older now and, it's true what they say, the memory might still be good but it's not what it was when I was 30, 40 or even 50. <sigh>

Old 02-06-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
And taking away the itemized deductions from the middle class didn't help EITHER. It certainly didn't help me
I feel 100% certain that if you got a tax cut, you would lie and say you didn't. 100%.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
More New Yorkers in Florida will turn FL from purple to Blue, and Californians moving to TX, will turn that State from red to purple, and then to blue. Not sure if GOP had this in mind, but it seems to be happening.

Unintended consequences.
Yeah, I think that was shortsighted on their part.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:22 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,239,613 times
Quote:
Let's try it again: average home prices (32nd expensive)

So, the houses there are cheap, and although the rate is more or less the same as Texas, the total tax will not be high, unless the house happens to be very expensive. In other words, you will end up with a high tax bill no matter where you live if you choose to live in an expensive house.

Hawaii has the lowest property tax rates, but the homes are expensive.

Texas is not a blue State, but they have very high property tax rates (more than NY or California).

In general, home prices are higher in metro areas, which happen to be the more productive areas in the nation, and they are being punished for it.
Looks review how property taxes are determined on both Chicago and Texas.

Cook County
$300,000 Estimated Market Value
X.10 Assessment Level (10%)
$30,000 Proposed Assessed Valuation
X 2.9627 State Equalizer
$88,881 Equalized Assessed Value
-10,000 Homeowner Exemption( **new increased exemption amount)
$78,881 Adjusted Equalized Assessed Value
X.10 Sample Tax Rate (your tax rate could vary)
$7,881 Estimated Tax Bill in dollars

It should be noted that Illinois has a state income tax of 4.95%.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

I am not sure what method is used to determine property tax in Austin, but according to Travis County's tax calculator, the bill (with no exemptions) would be significantly less.

$6,590.00

https://tax-office.traviscountytx.go...-tax-estimator

Texas has no state income tax.
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Georgia has a very simple method of determining property taxes for households.

$300,000.00 - Fair Market Value
X 40% - GA Assessment Ration (no exemptions)
$120,000 - Assessed Value
X County Millage Rate (varies) but my county is 33.7 mils or .03370
$4044.00 - My actual rate is significantly lower due to the homestead exemption

Variable rate state income tax topping out at 6%.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

But let's look at the homes that 300K will buy you those respective locations. BTW, I picked the first listing.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...633_rect/9_zm/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...342_rect/9_zm/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...78_rect/10_zm/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies