Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is wearing blackface racist?
Yes 70 58.82%
No 49 41.18%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 03:32 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Why not start another thread and ask it?
What about black Jews?

What ya got against Sammy Davis, Jr.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 03:39 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,672,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
What about black Jews?

What ya got against Sammy Davis, Jr.?
This 71 second video explains all you need to know...

https://youtu.be/q3gHj5LHB6s

Old 02-08-2019, 03:53 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I voted "yes" because I know the history of black face - it's not something we need to be doing or repeating. It's not "admiration", really, once you know the history.

Having said that, I think a lot of people don't know the history of it, and therefore don't understand why it actually is racist.

However, no black person needs to be whitening their skin to play the part of a white person, either. I'm not actually offended by it, but leave it to voice acting and wigs - although I'm sure someone is going to take offense to a fricken wig - guaranteed, because people get offended over the dumbest crap these days.

But black face, because of how it came about, should not be acceptable. Instead of railing on everyone and calling them every name in the book, now is a very good time to educate people and tell them why it's a very bad idea.

In response to mui: Hollywood is no longer allowed to portray white people as black people, and they are no longer allowed to portray white people as NDNs. If they have a role where the character is an NDN, they have to get an actual NDN to play the part. If they have a role where the character is a black person, they have to get an actual black person to play the part. They are not allowed to put non NDNs in NDN character roles, and they are not allowed to put non black people in black character roles...which is why it is so surprising that any celebrity in the past 30 or so years has actually donned blackface. Even if it's some parody, they really aren't supposed to be doing that.
Is this some sort of rule that is written down some place? And what if that actor is of a mixed race? One of my friends is half white and half Malaysian... yet to me, she looks like a fresh faced Irish woman. But would she be allowed to play an Asian and have the makeup artist darken her skin? And many people are mutts anyway, so is it okay if a very light skinned mixed race actor plays the part of a black person and has their skin darkened? Does the one drop rule apply in these cases? Is Elizabeth Warren allowed to play the part of a Native American in a play?

And what about Linda Hunt when she played Billy Kwan in the movie, The Year of Living Dangerously (1982)? In that role, she played both an Asian AND a man, a role that she won best supporting actress for the Academy Awards. And as an Asian, I have no problems with that movie and her role in it. And IMO if that movie were shot today, I would be sad that Linda Hunt would be not allowed to play Billy Kwan, because she was brilliant in that part.

IMO a truly talented actor or actress can play any part, male or female, or any race... as long as it's done tastefully and respectfully. It's about the talent that the actor or actress brings to the role, not their genetic code.

Old 02-08-2019, 04:27 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Nah. It’s racism. You don’t get to be the victim when you are the antagonist.

I despise, no... I abhor Fred Phelps, most of his family, clan and church (Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, KS) because of their stance on homosexuality. That said, I would defend with my life, his right to spew his ignorance all he wants. I would rather have everyone able to see his ignorance and hatred on display, so they can make an informed decision on whether or not they want to associate with him and his group, than have him silenced, leaving the uninformed to mistakenly associate with him. However this speaks to free speech.

Tell me who was/is harmed by someone wearing blackface? How is that harm inflicted upon them? How are they a victim? Are you suggesting that the stupid crap young adults do in college are definitive proof that they influence legislation which is somehow racist? Or let's say I keep it simple by suggesting that having fun, even if that fun harms no one, but offends some... THAT is somehow racist?

Who is the victim of this supposed racism? Are you a victim? Are you incapable of changing the channel on the TV if you see something you find offensive? If not, then HOW are you a victim of someone doing something you don't like or don't agree with IF their action or inaction did not encroach upon your rights or property? HOW are you or HOW is anyone else a VICTIM because someone dared do something you simply don't like?

Oh the precious feelings of people! This is what we get when we remove winning and losing from children's upbringing. It's all about their feelings!

Old 02-08-2019, 04:31 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,679,366 times
I'm going to play the devils advocate here and ask why in all the discussions of Blackface no one is bringing up the fact that this was also something black artist did. Bert Williams was unapologetic about his use of blackface. I think black vaudevillians were still using this "art form" into the 1900's. Many of them did it for the same reason white performers did it. I think the reason people black and white gave it a pass was because there was a lot worse happening to black people and it wasn't on the radar.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 02-08-2019 at 04:44 PM..

Old 02-08-2019, 04:44 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
This 71 second video explains all you need to know...

https://youtu.be/q3gHj5LHB6s
Still brings a smile to my face. Two legends right there.

Old 02-08-2019, 04:50 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
everything is racist who cares
No everything it not racist, it just seem that way to racist people who don't believe they are a racist.

Old 02-08-2019, 04:58 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
This is probably the sanest post I've ever read on P&OC.
Funny, I thought Elizabeth Warren has ruined Native Americans was one of the dumbest things I've ever read on P&OC.

Old 02-08-2019, 05:01 PM

2,486 posts, read 825,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Today, yes.

However you have to judge people's past actions on the societal standards of the time. I wouldn't judge somebody for being homophobic in the 1970s an also wouldn't judge people as harshly for wearing a blackface. It has no place in today's society though.
THIS!

Today YES, simply because it has become widely accepted that it is. Even in the 70s and certainly the 80s it was far from being ok.

On the other hand, is wearing whiteface (White Girls) racist? Is it okay for non-whites to emulate being white, or is that another acceptable double standard based on the past?

Shouldn't the same standards be expected of everyone?

Seems it should be to me.

We will never be completely free of all racists but unless we get out from under our past, if it keeps getting thrown in the faces of those who had nothing to do with the past, other than the color of their skin, racism will continue to be a massive problem.

This country has made so much progress over the last 1/2 century. Now, we're going backward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
No everything it not racist, it just seem that way to racist people who don't believe they are a racist.
The people who see racism in everything are the biggest racists out there!

I'm not a racist simply because skin color doesn't matter to me. Probably because I'm a multi-racial mutt raise in a multi-racial area, not a white bubble in a well to do suburb filled with arm-chair activists.

Old 02-08-2019, 05:06 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Yes, given the history, blackface is racist. If you want to dress up as your favorite black celebrity for Halloween, you can do it without darkening your skin. You wouldn't need to do this if you dressed up as your favorite white celebrity, would you?
Exactly. If the only way people would know who you are is by the color of your skin, yoir costume sucks. Come up with something more creative.

Kelly Ripa went as Beyonce for Halloween a few years ago. She managed just fine without resorting to blackface.

https://www.usmagazine.com/wp-conten...a31cb38f91.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies