Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 10:40 AM

5,986 posts, read 2,240,225 times

Advertisements

Its the only tool that is easy to use outside of elections. Don't need courts, politicians, famous people to attract the cameras and television crews, and the coverage gets you message out. get And they are effective as noted by many posters here.

Like anything its not 100% but better than doing nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 11:51 AM

8,750 posts, read 3,123,244 times
Why? Because the State is inherently evil. Because all States are composed of sociopathic criminals.

No politician goes into the family business to be altruistic; they join to have power over other people.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:53 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Did it? Or was it the threat of Federal troops?

Johnson protects civil rights march, March 20, 1965

https://www.politico.com/story/2009/...20-1965-020245

The only way peaceful protest works is if the protesters have an overwhelming numerical advantage. Otherwise you need violence or the threat of violence.
Yep, that is basically how America broke free from England (American revolution), had those people NOT resorted to violence, its doubtful they would have succeeded.

Its strange that so many people today seem to preach 'non-violence', since the nation was basically founded because of that!

Old 02-12-2019, 11:55 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,600,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Go back to the days of Vietnam. It was the protestors in the street who guided the US to its worst loss ever. But there is more to the story than that.
The US policy in Vietnam consisted of inane rules of engagement, which led to thousands and thousands of unnecessary deaths. Add to that the fact that so many of the servicemen were unwilling draftees, Cronkite had spoken out against military involvement, and Johnson had promised a utopia here in America and the whole thing caught fire. It was awful. (I'm a Vietnam vet)
Did the protestors accomplish anything? ....... probably. But they were misled by the Johnson administration every bit as much as the BLM protestors were misled by the Obama one. Poor leadership - I'm talking about Johnson and Obama has serious, long term consequences. Protestors feed off it and sometimes cause a change in policy - sometimes it is what they want and sometimes it backfires on them.
True then but now... Not so much.

Various lobbying groups OWN congress.

The US is corporate run that allows freedom of speech because the speech does not matter.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:22 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,074,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Its the only tool that is easy to use outside of elections. Don't need courts, politicians, famous people to attract the cameras and television crews, and the coverage gets you message out. get And they are effective as noted by many posters here.

Like anything its not 100% but better than doing nothing.
But that's why protesting seems ineffective though, cause you don't have courts, politicians, or famous people to attract cameras and television crews. What good is protesting if you don't have those things? Wouldn't protesters be doing a better job, if they just became lawyers and politicians to try to evoke their cause, rather than protesting?

Old 02-12-2019, 01:26 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,119,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
But that's why protesting seems ineffective though, cause you don't have courts, politicians, or famous people to attract cameras and television crews. What good is protesting if you don't have those things? Wouldn't protesters be doing a better job, if they just became lawyers and politicians to try to evoke their cause, rather than protesting?
You don't "become" a lawyer or politician.

Protest can bring change, just not immediate change.

The Constitution gives us the right to protest. (Freedom of Assembly) I say, use it.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:28 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,931,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Vietnam, civil rights, women's suffrage/women's rights, environmental protection, gay rights ... Only those who were born yesterday or who didn't pay attention in U.S. history class wouldn't realize what change protests can bring about.
Agreed, the OP wonders why there does not seem to be some instant effect, with everyone changing their mind at once. The Civil Rights and Vietnam War protests went on for many, many years. It was their persistence that finally led to change. Fortunately that change happened with minimal violence. But those protests had a huge effect in the long run.

The length and scope of those protests was in direct proportion to how many people they affected, and how severely they were affected. Getting drafted at 18 and mangled or killed by a tripwire mine in a jungle in Vietnam was a pretty severe outcome - especially when you didn't even have the right to vote. Being lynched and hung from a tree and displayed for the public because of the color of your skin was a pretty severe outcome.

Americans do not go under the boot quietly, it is not in our nature.

Last edited by GearHeadDave; 02-12-2019 at 01:42 PM..

Old 02-12-2019, 01:30 PM

Sure they gave us the right to do it, I just thought it was ineffective. Nobody cares about crowds of people holding up signs, I thought, but maybe I'm wrong, if the change is just not that immediate.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:07 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,357,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Sure they gave us the right to do it, I just thought it was ineffective. Nobody cares about crowds of people holding up signs, I thought, but maybe I'm wrong, if the change is just not that immediate.
I get what you’re saying though. I dated a girl who went to some kind of political rally and I didn’t really agree with it...she actually said “To be honest I don’t really follow politics that closely, so it’s just something to do with friends.”

There are a lot of legitimate protests, but it’s also a lot of people who just like the feeling of making a difference. A good chunk are people who want to virtue signal and get satisfaction from attending, even if it doesn’t really achieve much.

Old 02-16-2019, 12:21 AM

Oh okay, well I guess maybe it does achieve in the long wrong, it just seems that the government is probably not going to care about what people with signs think, or so I thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies