Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2019, 11:52 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
That's what it says on their fabricated diagram, OECD without any details. Why don't you link to the OECD data itself?
You could always check a European source on the effective national tax rate an average income earner pays in the EU 28. Chart on page 9. Effective national tax rate in the 2nd column from the right:

http://www.institutmolinari.org/IMG/...en-eu-2017.pdf

Take a poll on how many average income Americans ($59,000 per household) would be willing to pay those effective (read: ACTUAL) federal income tax rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 12:10 PM

4,445 posts, read 1,451,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You could always check a European source on the effective national tax rate an average income earner pays in the EU 28. Chart on page 9. Effective national tax rate in the 2nd column from the right:

http://www.institutmolinari.org/IMG/...en-eu-2017.pdf

Take a poll on how many average income Americans ($59,000 per household) would be willing to pay those effective (read: ACTUAL) federal income tax rates.
When leftists like Neuling start using words like "fabricated" and "self-declared" and "biased", he's telling you your data and sources are garbage. And you will NEVER be able to find data or a source that is "reputable" unless he agrees with the viewpoint. Same principle when arguing climate change or any other subject with a leftist.

You see, he sees the world as it really is, and the people who don't see it the same way are not to be taken seriously. LOL. You can spell out the conclusions so that a grammar school kid can understand it, but in the end, you are just wasting your time.

Old 02-23-2019, 12:12 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Begining last August, Trump was promoting a big beautiful tax cut for the middle class that would pass BEFORE the mid terms. He persisted with this narritive despite Congress was not in session and had no knowledge of such a bill.

Trump says a lot of things, many of which have no basis in truth. Nonetheless, crap like this allows him to dominate the news cycle- Daily installment of Trump reality TV.

Old 02-23-2019, 12:16 PM

29,552 posts, read 9,733,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
I am stunned by the absolute imbecility of your post. The value of a service, be it contracted or performed by a salaried/wage earning employee, is based on supply and demand, and has nothing to do with the compensation of top management. For example, is CEO compensation dropped drastically, would you also advocate the employee compensation drop commensurately? Of course not, so pop goes that lunacy bubble

CEO's don't government world, they steer their corporations under the direction of the Board of Directors, so pop goes that lunacy bubble.

We don't suffer from corporations, we benefit from them, including the quality management they hire with their high salaries. Excellence is expensive, so pop goes your third lunacy-bubble
I think your belief that we only benefit from corporations rather than benefit and also be harmed in some cases is yet another bubble of sorts. Enron immediately comes to mind...

I mean as usual, there are two sides to most stories (if not more) if and when we choose to judge in an informed objective manner. Right?

Old 02-23-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
To a large degree, this should be the Number ONE topic on this forum every day of the week.

While i think Trumpism is about as close to hell as this nation has been since the nearly going with the Nazi instead of the Allies, i also think we need for Americans to look back JFK... and his ""ask not what the nation...... ...............
Thanks. Seems we agree about the importance of the topic in any case...

Old 02-23-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Remember the elderly man in Vermont who left $8 million to the local library?

His working years were spent in low wage janitorial and gas pump positions.

He chose to live well under his means and invested over the long term.
I would just LOVE to know the rest of THIS story, because it must include an investment in something like Apple stock when it was first issued to the public, or an investment in a small plot of land that started oozing some dark thick fluid from underground. Otherwise, pretty hard to imagine savings or living under his means that could come to a total of $8 million, given away no less...

Not the typical story of the typical American anyway. Half of Americans who can't afford an emergency expense of $500!

Old 02-23-2019, 12:30 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,221,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Bingo! Neither society nor taxpayers are to blame for the poor ill-advisedly bearing children they cannot afford to support, thereby dooming those children to a lifetime of hardship and struggle, as well.
You remember Angel Adams the mother who had 15 kids (I believe shes now up to 16-17) and wanted someone to take care of them. These type of people will never achieve income equality nor will most of her kids. They will be at best Generations on Govt Benefits and Welfare.

There are millions of people like Angel and we let thousands cross our borders illegally yearly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBqjZ0KZCa0

Old 02-23-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I appreciate your post, and I assume it's fact-based. I don't know about his background, as it's not something I've studied.

To my original "point", what I was trying to communicate is that opportunity is there. Not every poor child is sentenced to remaining poor and uneducated. It does require the parents to help them, as you say his mother did, understand how important education is.
The statistics do a pretty good job of showing where opportunity tends to be more likely for some, less likely for others and it's never been too hard for me to figure out why, statistically speaking that is. Anecdotes are another matter.

There is a reason the NCAA goes to a lot of effort to explain to young athletes that not everyone is going to go pro, no matter how hard they try, even though there are those special exceptions to the rule of averages, again statistically speaking.

On a more personal note, my wife and I went to a lot of trouble and expense to live where our two kids could attend a high school rated 10 in terms of quality of education. Though there is no doubt their success would depend on their own efforts, we wanted our kids to have the best odds, again statistically speaking, to get the best high school education possible.

Why?

Because kids tend to do better in environments where the odds of their success are higher, for obvious reasons. The numbers also clearly show that the higher the level of education, the higher the level of income.

Old 02-23-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Cut capital gains taxes, it's worked since the 1980's and the GOP tells us it's the answer to all problems: bad economy, good economy, measles, space invasions.

Cut taxes!!! Larry Kudlow says it fixes everything.

Reminds me of this also recently in the news...

Bill Gates Says Taxing Capital Gains Is the Best Way to Tap ‘Big Fortunes’

Bill Gates is concerned about the high budget deficits being run by the U.S., and said if taxes are ultimately increased to make up the shortfall, then it’s appropriate for wealthy people to pay much higher taxes.

“We only collect about 20 percent of GDP and we spend like 24 percent of GDP. So you can’t let that deficit grow faster than the economy,” the world’s second-richest man said during an interview on CNN’s “Fareed Zakaria GPS” broadcast on Sunday. The U.S. national debt climbed past $22 trillion in the past week.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...p-big-fortunes

Old 02-23-2019, 12:43 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
When leftists like Neuling start using words like "fabricated" and "self-declared" and "biased", he's telling you your data and sources are garbage. And you will NEVER be able to find data or a source that is "reputable" unless he agrees with the viewpoint. Same principle when arguing climate change or any other subject with a leftist.

You see, he sees the world as it really is, and the people who don't see it the same way are not to be taken seriously. LOL. You can spell out the conclusions so that a grammar school kid can understand it, but in the end, you are just wasting your time.
Those diagrams are made by those two organizations, they are not official OECD diagrams, nor did they link to such.
The Wiki descriptions of those two organizations state their bias and agenda, it is not my opinion because I had never heard of those organizations before, they are obviously not renowned or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies