Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2019, 04:29 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,253,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
If the CEOs are paid with the taxpayers money, you may have a point.

If you are not a a shareholder, it’s not your damn business.

Why you people only focus on the CEOs is beyond me. CEOs are no different from any employee. They get fired all the time. If you want to covet their money, you really should focus on the shareholders, there rich MFers who pay the CEOs. They are the one taking in most of the profits, not the CEOs.
well, first I don't think I fit into the "you people" category. I'm against wealth redistribution by force/taxation.

I'm speaking of compensation that is tax-favored....primarily providing capital gains-taxed income versus ordinary income. I also admit that I don't know "when" taxes are paid on that non-ordinary income. But being in the 35% marginal group but paying only 15-20% on an outsized portion of income is just wrong, IMO. And that's what I'm speaking to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 04:32 PM

89,244 posts, read 44,992,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I agree people should be well compensated for whatever it seems they do well and/or as our society might provide in terms of "voting dollars." This really should not be the focus or argument when instead the question is what rates of taxes should those in these uber categories of income and wealth pay all considered?

In other words, no need to "kill the goose that lays the golden eggs," but it also doesn't make much sense that 1 out of 100 people end up with 99 out of 100 golden eggs!
Why can't we just do what European countries do? They don't tax income/profits earned abroad, unlike the US which taxes US citizens' worldwide income regardless of where in the world they live and taxes US corporations' worldwide profits (Eritrea is the only other country besides the US that does so). That's how Ingvar Kamprad, the Swedish billionaire founder of IKEA was able to amass his fortune without paying a dime in income taxes to Sweden for 40 years. He simply lived in Switzerland and ran IKEA through a European tax haven located outside of Sweden. Imagine the riches Americans could amass if they could enjoy Euro-style tax haven-friendly tax laws.

Old 02-23-2019, 04:34 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,599,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
well, first I don't think I fit into the "you people" category. I'm against wealth redistribution by force/taxation.

I'm speaking of compensation that is tax-favored....primarily providing capital gains-taxed income versus ordinary income. I also admit that I don't know "when" taxes are paid on that non-ordinary income. But being in the 35% marginal group but paying only 15-20% on an outsized portion of income is just wrong, IMO. And that's what I'm speaking to.
Agreed. Should be 0% on income tax. People should have the freedom to keep the fruit of their honest labor.

Old 02-23-2019, 04:38 PM

89,244 posts, read 44,992,944 times
Quote:
You don't understand...

Yes of course people need to be responsible for their own decisions, but this does not mean that people should not do something about helping children born into poverty, for example. Or that we can't or should not do what we can to improve the quality of life (with better education, health care, etc) for all concerned.
That's what charitable foundations are for. They let society vote with their wallets for what matters to them. If society endorses financially supporting irresponsible people, they'll donate sufficient funds to financially support them.

Old 02-23-2019, 04:49 PM

24,727 posts, read 9,529,408 times
The myth that the government has the capability or willingness to "close the gap" has been a lie perpetuated by elite Democrats to retain their own power for ages.

For example, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez just moved into a nice DC penthouse condo that does NOT allow Section 8 housing vouchers, rent controlled units, and other low income housing subsidizes that she herself advocates for America's underclass.

Democrats have a sweet gig, promising to "fix the gap" while being the biggest benefactors of the gap.

Last edited by Rocko20; 02-23-2019 at 05:02 PM..

Old 02-23-2019, 04:50 PM

8,286 posts, read 3,526,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
So, you're complaining because you chose to go to a college that was way too expensive and you really couldn't afford.

You could have chose to go to a less expensive school, but the bottom line is you didn't wanna.

You'll have to live with your mistake and hopefully learn from your mistake.

15 years ago, I went back and got two additional undergraduate degrees, a Master's and a PhD, and I didn't use student loans. I worked full-time 2nd or 3rd shift getting my undergraduate degrees, then 2-3 part-time jobs in graduate school. I used Pell Grants, State educational grant, plus some money from private grants.

The federal financial aid form does not hook you up with private grant money. You have to search them out and apply for each grant individually. Some require you to submit an FAF, but most don't, although they may require a verification of enrollment.
I went to the cheapest college around that was approved by the welfare to work program. It was either that or my daughter and me die in the streets because employers refused to employ me because of all my health problems and I needed the money to keep a roof over our heads. Go to college or let me and my daughter die. What a choice. Welfare reformed required either college or a job and society refused to give me and keep me in employment. I cannot force an employer to hire me.

I was turned down for all nongovernment assistance. I never received a single scholarship from my high grades in high school like people kept telling me would happen when I was a kid. I got turned down for those too. I had 100 average in algebra for the entire school year and still didn't get a scholarship for college. I would've graduated in the top four in my class but still no scholarships.

I didn't even want to go to college anymore. If I didn't then my child would've suffered since I couldn't physically do jobs. I was in college off and on from 1994 to 2009 to keep getting financial aid so I could take care of my child, but I kept having to drop out for medical problems and appeal to get back in. Wasn't my fault God never blessed me with a healthy body. I've been sick since I was born. Had God blessed me with good health and a job then I wouldn't have even been in college anymore. I could've graduated in a reasonable time like normal, healthy people.

I tried to never go on disability. I kept holding out trying to get normal with healing and a job like His children promised. I kept praying and begging for it. I ran out of financial aid eligibility, and God still hadn't healed me so I could finally physically work a job. So, I ended up having to go on disability as last resort. If I'd still been eligible for financial aid, I'd still be there taking classes even though I was too sick to work anyway. And my health kept getting worse instead of better. It costs taxpayers thousands of dollars a month to keep me alive.

Old 02-23-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
I went to the cheapest college around that was approved by the welfare to work program. It was either that or my daughter and me die in the streets because employers refused to employ me because of all my health problems and I needed the money to keep a roof over our heads. Go to college or let me and my daughter die. What a choice. Welfare reformed required either college or a job and society refused to give me and keep me in employment. I cannot force an employer to hire me.

I was turned down for all nongovernment assistance. I never received a single scholarship from my high grades in high school like people kept telling me would happen when I was a kid. I got turned down for those too. I had 100 average in algebra for the entire school year and still didn't get a scholarship for college. I would've graduated in the top four in my class but still no scholarships.

I didn't even want to go to college anymore. If I didn't then my child would've suffered since I couldn't physically do jobs. I was in college off and on from 1994 to 2009 to keep getting financial aid so I could take care of my child, but I kept having to drop out for medical problems and appeal to get back in. Wasn't my fault God never blessed me with a healthy body. I've been sick since I was born. Had God blessed me with good health and a job then I wouldn't have even been in college anymore. I could've graduated in a reasonable time like normal, healthy people.

I tried to never go on disability. I kept holding out trying to get normal with healing and a job like His children promised. I kept praying and begging for it. I ran out of financial aid eligibility, and God still hadn't healed me so I could finally physically work a job. So, I ended up having to go on disability as last resort. If I'd still been eligible for financial aid, I'd still be there taking classes even though I was too sick to work anyway. And my health kept getting worse instead of better. It costs taxpayers thousands of dollars a month to keep me alive.
Why did you have a child when you couldn’t even support yourself?

Old 02-23-2019, 05:02 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,253,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
Money doesn't trickle down. I understand how investment works, and how necessary it is. I also understand that the wage gap between CEO & average worker is insane. The rich are feeding each other, and the rest of us are so desperate for crumbs, that we further the whole set-up in order to get more crumbs.
what % of the populace is the "rich" then?

are you into that "99%" stuff?

Old 02-23-2019, 05:05 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,128,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
The myth that the government has the capability or willingness to "close the gap" has been a lie perpetuated by elite Democrats to retain their own power for ages.

For example, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez just moved into a nice DC penthouse condo that does NOT allow Section 8 housing vouchers, rent controlled units, and other low income housing subsidizes that she herself advocates for America's underclass.

Democrats have a sweet gig, promising to "fix the gap" while being the biggest benefactors of the gap.
AOC is a lost cause. Shes going to be a senator of a population of 1 at the rate shes going.

Old 02-23-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
You don't understand...

How to address the challenges that infants/children born into poverty must face?

That's another matter altogether, especially as a practical matter!
Offer them $5000 for sterilization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies