Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2019, 02:51 PM

2,417 posts, read 1,448,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
You're 12% of the population. Who do you actually think you control?

Delusions of grandeur

As long as our voice is heard and received, that will have an impact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
What do you mean "black Americans aren't backing down"? That sounds like some sort of threat.
A political threat? A threat of not getting our vote? Yeah. What did you think that meant?

Old 02-22-2019, 03:08 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
A political threat? A threat of not getting our vote? Yeah. What did you think that meant?
I have no idea. You said everything will "come to a head." That sounds physically threatening.

If you just mean that blacks won't vote for a politician who doesn't support reparations, remember....the majority is still white, and a politician who runs on a "reparation platform" will most definitely lose. Most people can barely cover their own bills as it is. You think they're going to vote to hand over even more of their money to a group of people who aren't entitled to it?

This may surprise you, but I'd be OK with giving money to the 1st generation after slavery - children of slaves. It's possible there are some. A young child who was a slave in 1865 could have fathered children as late as the 1920's, which means there may be some black people in their 90s who are children of slaves. I'd be OK with annual reparations to them (like Germany did for Holocaust survivors) until their deaths, of around $20,000 a year. (My step-grandfather, who survived a concentration camp, was getting around $8,000 a year by his later years. Adjusted for inflation, that is about $20,000.)

Old 02-22-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I have no idea. You said everything will "come to a head." That sounds physically threatening.

If you just mean that blacks won't vote for a politician who doesn't support reparations, remember....the majority is still white, and a politician who runs on a "reparation platform" will most definitely lose. Most people can barely cover their own bills as it is. You think they're going to vote to hand over even more of their money to a group of people who aren't entitled to it?

This may surprise you, but I'd be OK with giving money to the 1st generation after slavery - children of slaves. It's possible there are some. A young child who was a slave in 1865 could have fathered children as late as the 1920's, which means there may be some black people in their 90s who are children of slaves. I'd be OK with annual reparations to them (like Germany did for Holocaust survivors) until their deaths, of around $20,000 a year. (My step-grandfather, who survived a concentration camp, was getting around $8,000 a year by his later years. Adjusted for inflation, that is about $20,000.)

How do you so casually overlook the entire history of black Americans? Did we cross over the boarder into this country yesterday? Did we fall out of the sky? Why do you act as though we are like everyone else in this country?

Old 02-22-2019, 03:27 PM

947 posts, read 1,402,193 times
So many interesting questions...

Does Rachel Dolezal, the Washington state whack job white woman who identifies culturally as being African American, also get a check?

Do Virginia's Governor Ralph Northam and Attorney General Mark Herring get at least a token check for the days they wore blackface?

I can't help but now think of Warren, Harris, and Castro -- the three Democrats running for President who so far have come out in support of reparations -- as The Three Stooges (apoolgies to Moe, Larry, and Curly).

Old 02-22-2019, 03:28 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
It's pretty much an effort to punish people who had nothing to do with slavery, had nothing to do with Jim Crow, and the large majority of whom were not even alive when the Civil Rights Era got underway.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:48 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
You have me totally wrong. I am genuinely curious about how it would work. I do not see handing over money to people as helping them. Read: Lottery winners.

I’m against that completely.

I’ve seen community investment and it does work. But there’s a plan.

Do not think you know who I am. You don’t.

I don’t think it’s not feasible. I think it’s pointless to start a new program when there are so many in place already.

You just believe everyone is racist and that’s why the black community is held back. Keep thinking that way and it will stay that way. Is that a fair assumption? No?

There are so many opportunities and resources available to everyone. Use them.

If you want something new, brainstorm it and come in with a plan. I’m all ears.

I hate giving money to programs that don’t work. I’d much rather it go to one that does, not simply add on to what we already have.

I have my own business. I only spend on what will work. I don’t add something to it that I’m already spending money on. I will, however, replace something if it’s a better fit. If the outcome will be better and provide greater results.

It’s fine if you don’t know and perfectly ok if you think what’s currently in place isn’t working. But we can’t just say oh we need reparations.
You might feel their are enough programs...but you have nothing really to base that on. How can there be enough programs if the racial gaps have barely improved the last 40 years? What exist now is not working....yet you want more of the same? Also, point out out where I have said or implied that I believe everyone now is racist. That is a common straw man.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:52 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
You might feel their are enough programs...but you have nothing really to base that on. How can there be enough programs if the racial gaps have barely improved the last 40 years? What exist now is not working....yet you want more of the same? Also, point out out where I have said or implied that I believe everyone now is racist. That is a common straw man.
Because the programs aren't the problem. You can't subsidize your way out of personal responsibility.

This is exactly what is wrong with the Democratic platform and frame of thinking. They think every problem requires a financed program...and when it doesn't work, they just sit back and claim not enough [money] was spent...and they just create more "programs" with more money....without accomplishing anything.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:55 PM

78,418 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Let me translate for you.

"I need black voters in the democratic primary or I'm extra screwed, especially with Kamala running who will get a big chuck just upon face recognition....so I'm going to lie and talk up reparations."

Then all the others too.

Then they'll do nothing. The end.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:59 PM

52,267 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Wow, what a bunch of rubes.

Let me translate for you.

"I need black voters in the democratic primary or I'm extra screwed, especially with Kamala running who will get a big chuck just upon um face recognition....so I'm going to lie and talk up reparations."
Of course, anyone with a pulse can see that. Blatant pandering isn't a good look.

I personally find it annoying when someone sucks up to you to the point of being silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies