Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2019, 11:24 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,343,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
How is the "average American" supposed to feel about all the war and terrorism that has been at least in part due to the Israeli/Palestinian conflict? Up to and including 9/11, and still going on today?

Me. I often feel like I'm stuck in the crossfire between the Hatfields and the McCoys...
One can plea for sanity with the recognition that individuals within ANY group are capable of wrong-doing. To mention Jewish terrorism is not to be anti-semitic or to enter into some kind of who is numerically "worse" tally. There is this ongoing battle over who has the higher moral ground that in the end worsens the situation.

The greater responsibility always rests on the individual who performs a specific terrorist action.

The world is a dangerous place with the Israeli-Palestinian conflict simply one more of many destabilizing factors.

You just mentioned the new Holocaust memorial in Berlin. Between posts, I'm typing that into the itinerary. We'll also be in Morocco this trip wandering around by ourselves, just my daughter and I.

In the end, one hopes then ducks - trying not to get caught in the crossfire. I don't "avoid" much. Life's too random.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:24 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:
Not sure this history of antisemiticism can be simply summed up with Hitler's thinking, since we all know antisemiticism existed before Hitler, but also of course what history we choose to focus our attention upon tends to be a function of our bias as well. You demonstrate yours over and over, just like with this comment about Hitler. Sorry, but this too is obvious and true. Very long on bias, quite short on balanced objectivity.
Sorry, but there are numerous "tells" in your previous posts. You hide it well for the most part, but it does show through at times.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:29 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Of course. I'm just saying to not get offended at every little thing. This is something that applies to everyone, it's hardly just the Jewish. And to be fair, many Jew's have let a lot of things slide.
I hear you! Gets us into that whole PC thing...

Some people think the harmless ribbing is just that, harmless. Those getting the ribbing might think otherwise. I remember someone claiming it wasn't wrong to tell jokes about black people because he works with black people and they don't mind. I have to wonder...

I happen to believe that being PC is simply to be civil toward others, avoiding comments that unnecessarily offend people, baseless insults, large or small (not to be confused with justified criticism).

I suspect we are the same in that both of us have a "thicker skin" than average, especially when it comes to dealing with all the crap the tends to fly in a discussion like this one and/or politics in general. But I also know I have inadvertently offended people without intention, so I try to be careful about "ribbing" in general.

I try to maintain a sense of humor too...

Last edited by LearnMe; 03-14-2019 at 11:42 AM..

Old 03-14-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Israel seems capable of taking care of themselves.
Ah. Now there's a notion I'm not so sure I can quickly agree with, but if so, the sooner the better!

Old 03-14-2019, 11:30 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:
How is the "average American" supposed to feel about all the war and terrorism that has been at least in part due to the Israeli/Palestinian conflict? Up to and including 9/11, and still going on today?

Me. I often feel like I'm stuck in the crossfire between the Hatfields and the McCoys...
Are you saying that some of the blame for Islamic terrorism goes to the Jews in Israel?

That's a progressive "tell," by the way. Everything is always someone else's fault. The Islamic terrorists who killed 3,000 Americans, and the monsters who orchestrated the attacks, get the ENTIRE blame.

Also, contrary to the typical leftist tendency to blame poverty for failing in with terrorists, the 9/11 animals (scratch that....it's an insult to animals) were mostly upper-middle class.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:32 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,343,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
They're not merely "individuals." They are progressives in elected office, with a vote. And they are going to vote against Jews in any conflict between Muslims and Jews, or Palestinians and Israelis.
But Rachel ... we had another poster complaining that elected Jews might vote for Israel. What we cannot do is set up some sort of loyalty test.

If their constituents don't like what their elected representatives do they can vote them out of office.

If they violate some ethical standard then let Congressional leadership deal with them on that.

Sure if they choose to tweet some garbage then criticism will come their way.

That's all fair and good. But you can't keep someone out of office because of how you fear they might vote.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Based on the 69 pages of comments, we can only conclude that there are 3 types of posters in this thread:

1. Those that do not hate Jews, and support Israel.
2. Those that admit hating Jews
3. Those that deny hating Jews, but condemn everything Israel and Jews do, thereby exposing their hatred.

Put me in group 1.
No, sorry, I think you belong in perhaps the biggest group of all...

4. Those who insist on misrepresenting the opinion of others, like this about "condemning everything."

Old 03-14-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Because the analogy isn't very good.

You're babysitting for a black kid who goes and smashes your vase so you berate them for smashing your vase. Elsewhere in town an Asian kid, a white kid, a Mexican kid, a Jewish kid, are likewise smashing vases. You're not really concerned about what the Asian kid, white kid, Mexican kid, or Jewish kid are doing because, frankly, you don't have much to do with them.

Israel is a longstanding ally of the US. We have a lot to do with Israel. When Israel commits atrocities, it reflects on the US. As an ally that we stand behind we implicitly condone those atrocities if we stand by them silently in support. Burma isn't really an ally. Up until just a few years ago it was just a petty dictatorship with a horrible track record of human rights violations. It's the totality of the situation. We don't have a particularly strong relationship with Burma to really care that much what they're doing, similar to how we don't really care that much what petty dictators across Africa are doing. Secondly, democracy is messy. While there is some fuss about Burma, no one really expects it to go from being Burma in 2012 to not having human rights abuses overnight. Many people would like there to be less and see them improve, but even the rosey-eyed idealists of the world have some understanding that this won't happen immediately.

Now, I wouldn't say I'm at all anti-Israeli. They're our only really ally in that region of the world and generally are large cut above the rest of the Middle East in terms of human rights violations. That doesn't mean they don't commit their own atrocities. They do. Those need to be acknowledged, and for a long time we haven't because of the careful construct where if anyone points them out they will quickly be called a Nazi. The ADL has been quite successful in that.
A Priest, A Rabbi, and a Minister Walk Into a Bar...

and the bartender exclaims, "What is this, a joke?"

Like I mentioned, I try to maintain a sense of humor too despite all the nasty nonsense...

Last edited by LearnMe; 03-14-2019 at 12:02 PM..

Old 03-14-2019, 11:39 AM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
No, sorry, I think you belong in perhaps the biggest group of all...

4. Those who insist on misrepresenting the opinion of others, like this about "condemning everything."
Or just the group 4. Anyone who says anything critical about anything Israel or any Jew has ever done is an anti-Semite.

There's lots of variations on that but it's particularly strong in that case. Generally it's treated as a fairly ridiculous opinion to hold. I'm not Anti-American simply because I disagree with the internment of the Japanese in WW2.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Sorry, but there are numerous "tells" in your previous posts. You hide it well for the most part, but it does show through at times.
I hope they are "tells" of justified criticism, fair and objective reasoning, perspective, a want to stick with the facts in any case, but I get your want to imply otherwise. All too common and transparent and as always to be expected. I remind you again, I have no bias in this regard like I believe it is fair to say you do. Right? You are Jewish if I'm not mistaken. Right? I'm not. Nor am I Muslim or Palestinian. I've provided numerous "tells" about this too I think...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies