Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 08:03 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,034,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Fake news. I suggest you actually read about it before making comments.
Yes, I actually read the proposed green new deal and can say with confidence my statement was true. AOC’s proposed green new deal porposes guaranteed income even for those unwilling to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 08:04 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,600,838 times
Occasional-Cortex will be making really big tips when she goes back to bartending in two years.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:07 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,541,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Yes, I actually read the proposed green new deal and can say with confidence my statement was true. AOC’s proposed green new deal porposes guaranteed income even for those unwilling to work.
Yep, that was what I was saying.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:09 PM

20,873 posts, read 9,563,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
What big time politician wasn't wealthy? You'll have to try hard to find one.
I don't know if she counts as a "big time" politician yet, but Ocasio-Cortez wasn't particularly wealthy.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:12 PM

20,873 posts, read 9,563,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
And? What does that have to do with anything? A lot of people would not be doing what they do at all if not for circumstances that allowed them to do so. If Bill gates grew up a different way, perhaps he would not do what he is doing, if Joe Smith did not, perhaps he would not be an auto tech.
I was responding largely to your post here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
She has actually worked you know. Someone being born rich does not mean they never work, Ivanka in fact has put a lot of work into her clothing design, her father's company, etc, all which hold a hell of a lot more responsibility, and impact a whole lot more people, than being a damn bartender somewhere.

Not that it makes Ivanka a better person than someone else, even a janitor, but addressing the merits of "her working", which have nothing to do with if you like her or not.
I mean, yeah, she worked, and undoubtedly she worked hard at her business, and employed people as you said. But the main reason she was able to do that was because she had a rich and famous father. If she didn't, she probably wouldn't have been lucky enough to start a business like that, employing people and more than likely would have waited tables and been a bartender. In which case there wouldn't be as much for people to brag about for her.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:25 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,603,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I was responding largely to your post here:

I mean, yeah, she worked, and undoubtedly she worked hard at her business, and employed people as you said. But the main reason she was able to do that was because she had a rich and famous father. If she didn't, she probably wouldn't have been lucky enough to start a business like that, employing people and more than likely would have waited tables and been a bartender. In which case there wouldn't be as much for people to brag about for her.
if daddy gave me a million i could hire 100 people so what! part of the republican poor little rich people mythology is to re-name them as "job-creators" its all spin doctor stuff and some of us are hip to all that BS....

Old 02-26-2019, 08:30 PM

20,154 posts, read 9,049,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Ivanka: "People want to work for what they get."

What does Ivanka, a privileged trust fund brat, know about work?
think you're busier than her?

Old 02-26-2019, 08:34 PM

20,154 posts, read 9,049,040 times
a poor man has never offered me a job.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:39 PM

717 posts, read 454,017 times
I can support a Universal Basic Income for people unwilling to work but it should require a will to do other things and it should be something like $5/day/person . Nobody should get free money. I guess that’s fair if we feed people who go to prison for committing felony crimes we can do a $5/day/person for doing some very small civic duties like attending some city council meetings

Old 02-26-2019, 08:39 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,603,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
a poor man has never offered me a job.
so by having access to millions of dollars in daddies loans from some German bank and the ability to distribute that cash in the form of "jobs" makes anybody connected to a billion dollars even if just by being born into the cash more of person than any "poor" person...i get it the old dollars and sense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies