Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2019, 09:04 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,573,451 times

Advertisements

The child trafficking law says 18. It doesn't matter how 'mature' the child is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 09:31 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Still early on. Would expect Epstein's lawyers to be at the appeals court immediately.

Dangerous precedent in a way. Suggests that the very rich charged with a serious crime can never get out on bail. I would not think that will hold up on appeal.

We do have this strange view that you are innocent until proven guilty.
Seriously? You worry about the rich having to stay in jail until their trial?

You are aware that there are poor people, equally judicially innocent, who can't afford bail, and can sometimes spend over a year in jail waiting for their trials. Why do you think a rich guy should be treated better than a poor guy?

Old 07-18-2019, 09:34 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
You missed the context. Please read the post that I replied to. We weren't talking about age of consent (sexual) but rather the age you can be emancipated. You have to be a minimum age of 14 for emancipation in CA.

The word "emancipate" is even in both my post and the one I replied to. Reading comprehension????
Yes, it's apparent that I missed that, would it make you feel better if I apologize and ask your forgiveness?

Old 07-18-2019, 10:14 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Seriously? You worry about the rich having to stay in jail until their trial?

You are aware that there are poor people, equally judicially innocent, who can't afford bail, and can sometimes spend over a year in jail waiting for their trials. Why do you think a rich guy should be treated better than a poor guy?
A 63 year old retiree followed a man into his room and threatened him and stole $5 from him. The police charged him with everything they could think of and his bail was set at $600,000. his only income was a small pension so he couldn't afford $600 let alone $600,000. The judge subsequently reduced his bail to $350,000 which he still couldn't afford, so he sat in jail for over a year pending trial. The jail finally released him pending trial on GPS monitoring. He appealed and the case is now before the California Supreme Court which will be deciding if it's constitutional for a person to be held in jail solely because they are financially unable to post bail.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/art...n-12938615.php

Old 07-18-2019, 11:04 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,588,145 times
Just heard Epstein had another fake passport of himself from Austria. WTF?

Old 07-18-2019, 11:09 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Still early on. Would expect Epstein's lawyers to be at the appeals court immediately.

Dangerous precedent in a way. Suggests that the very rich charged with a serious crime can never get out on bail. I would not think that will hold up on appeal.

We do have this strange view that you are innocent until proven guilty.
It was determined that Epstein is a flight risk.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:43 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
It was determined that Epstein is a flight risk.
Also that he is likely to continue the alleged behavior.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:22 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,573,451 times
Here is my prediction of the course of this case:

Epstein's lawyers will appeal his pre-trial incarceration, he will lose that argument.

Epstein's lawyers will appeal the charges based on the no-prosecution agreement out of Florida, I have no idea whether or not that is a winner.

Epstein's lawyers will challenge any and all search warrants, that is a winner only if the premise (above) is found unlawful.

The unknown is whether or not Epstein is willing to wait in jail for those appeals to work their way through the court system.

Epstein will proceed to trial notwithstanding the two above arguments as they work their way through the appellate court system. Epstein will be convicted. If the courts find that the no-prosecution appeal is valid the conviction could be overturned.

Epstein will negotiate his place of incarceration using the information he has been using to blackmail others.

I think there are many prominent men who have a lot to worry about.

Old 07-19-2019, 03:02 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,588,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I think there are many prominent men who have a lot to worry about.
When left wing Vanity Fair agrees, there is a problem. Those men have probably been profiled in the magazine over the years. Probably a few women as well. The word they used was 'contagion.' More people than anyone could possibly imagine. Which means a lot of them will flip to get shorter sentences.

As Q said, "They won't be able to walk down the street."

Old 07-19-2019, 03:13 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
"The Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office has launched an internal investigation into why financier Jeffrey Epstein was allowed to use his own private driver and make unsupervised stops at his private residence during his work release from the county jail."

https://www.thedailybeast.com/jeffre...lease?ref=home

Among the deputy logs are countless examples of how "Epstein was able to spend unsupervised time at his private mansion, where he stands accused of running a child-sex-trafficking ring, when he should have been at his office."

"The logs also show that deputies left him alone in his home for as much as three hours at a time."

What the hell was going on here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies